Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Power Steering Not Working Since Changing The Reservoir
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

That would be great I like chips. Thumbs Up If you could point it at the pump too because I think it would be quite interesting to see what sort of temperatures fully working power steering gets to. Smile https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438794 25th Jan 2024 7:53 am
Badger51

Australia 

jules wrote:
Dean1234 wrote:
Absolutely nothing. It's sat in there like it's on a Caribbean holiday with a pina colada in it's hand. Laughing There's no froffing, bubbling or air of any kind when the engine is on. There isn't even any sign of fluid being pulled in or returned back with the engine running and steering being turned. But maybe that's normal as I've never studied the fluid before when it was working. Very Happy The only time there is movement is when the steering gets to either lock-stop and it drops about 1 mm and then pops back up when it's off the lock-stop. Smile

Ive just been out to check mine. With the engine running you cannot see any PAS fluid movement inside the reservoir - the surface is like a mill pond.

That’s interesting Jules, I know when I did my reservoir, pump & fluid change, that it was possible to see the fluid flow through the reservoir with the cap removed. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #438795 25th Jan 2024 8:25 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

FL2ukkent wrote:
No expert but i would not expect the fluid to get hot otherwise surly the viscosity of the fluid would change.

These hydraulic fluids have special viscosity modifiers which are designed to keep the fluids to a tight viscosity band over a wide range of temperatures. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #438796 25th Jan 2024 8:26 am
Dean1234

Warren at MuddyMods was nice enough to confirm to Alana that fluid movement with the engine off is very normal. He sent us over 2 short videos. 1 of the fluid moving and 1 of the fluid jumping out of the pot. Smile

So in my head, my issue HAS to be with the reservoir. It's the only part to have actually changed. If LRDirect would hurry up with my order that I ordered at 11am on Wednesday and they say that it takes 1 day to pick and dispatch Censored ... [/rant] Laughing https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438800 25th Jan 2024 10:15 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

if they sent it by Royal Snail? then you might get it next week ! 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #438802 25th Jan 2024 10:43 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Here are the temperatures for the bottle and pump with warm engine running at tickover

Pump, on the pump body just inside of the pulley there is a flat area. 56.5 C

Bottle outer 52.2 C

Fluid in Bottle 60 C

Post #438815 25th Jan 2024 3:47 pm
Dean1234

Rommel wrote:
if they sent it by Royal Snail? then you might get it next week !

It would be nice if it was even in the couriers hands Laughing . Apparently they had to order an Hitachi pump from Allmakes 4x4 because they didn't have one even though their website said and still says that they have 1 in stock...

Thanks for that info I like chips Thumbs Up . According to the internet (which is always right...), things get uncomfortable to touch at about 50 to 60 degrees C. So the temperature my fluid and power steering pump are getting to are probably not to abnormal like I was starting to think. Although it does surprise me how hot the power steering actually runs and also surprises me that only the petrol model got the power steering cooler.

I was just looking through the service manual for the 900th time and it blows my mind that no-where in it does it say to bleed the power steering with the engine off! I think it may of been mentioned in this thread already. It tells me to stick a giant funnel in the power steering reservoir, fill it with almost 4L of fluid, extended the return line into a big bottle and then start the car and leave the car to do the work in short.
Now, even between me and Alana both on it, on a system that can max out at 8.8L/min, that sounds like a recipe for fluid being spilt everywhere and huge amounts of air being sucked in. Laughing

Edit: By the way, incase I end up changing the pump on Saturday/Sunday, is there anything different I should be doing? Any extra steps in the bleeding process? I'm planning to do lots of engine off, lock-to-lock if I've put a new pump on. I don't really want to put a new pump on and destroy it if I can help it. Laughing https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438816 25th Jan 2024 4:24 pm
dreamlands

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I've been watching this post all week but would'nt comment untill I had sorted mine out.

I have literally had this same problem, I too started with the easiest option of changing the fluid bottle to no avail, then the pump again to no avail, had a chat with my motor factor who said, "did you change the rack at the same time as the bottle" they assured me that it would be 100% be the rack and it would be putting bits of worn rubber seals into the bottle. Now I've got the car back togerther with a replacement rack and the steering is back to 100% ok, just awaiting my bottom engine mounting replacement, fingers crossed it will be here today.

I will just point out that knowning how much all these parts were going to cost I opted for the flebay option (otherwise my motor factors would have told me sooner grrrr) there brilliant with me at my motor factors.

Post #438828 26th Jan 2024 7:53 am
I Like Chips

Dean I knew I saw something about this problem. Sorry it appears to be a costly fix.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2394514960...20o%20ring

Post #438829 26th Jan 2024 8:12 am
dreamlands

'Chips' your link is'nt working

Post #438831 26th Jan 2024 9:59 am
Badger51

Australia 

“Chips' your link is'nt working”

I suspect you have to be a member of the group to be able see it. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #438832 26th Jan 2024 10:14 am
Dean1234

dreamlands wrote:
"did you change the rack at the same time as the bottle" they assured me that it would be 100% be the rack and it would be putting bits of worn rubber seals into the bottle. Now I've got the car back togerther with a replacement rack and the steering is back to 100% ok, just awaiting my bottom engine mounting replacement, fingers crossed it will be here today.

Dreamlands, out of interest, how old do you estimate your steering rack to have been? I only ask because my thought process is that it seems like most people that have this issue are replacing the original, out of the factory rack. I don't think I've seen a post where someone has replaced a rack that's less than 3 to 5 years old. Smile

With the fact that our rack is currently 10 months old, my head is telling me that it surely cannot be that... I'm not sure if it was a new rack installed or a referbed rack. But I trust the person and the garage that did it and would've been of a decent standard. Smile

I Like Chips: I'm not sure if you can post a screenshot or copy and paste the info can you? As others have said, it looks like you have to be a member to see anything. Smile https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438834 26th Jan 2024 10:34 am
dreamlands

"With the fact that our rack is currently 10 months old" blimmy thats not even been used lol, mines a 2008 and the rack looked original with 172000 on the clock, I was considering the cost of fixing or scraping, I love the car, runs perfect, no knocks or anything so I opted for the fix.

Post #438835 26th Jan 2024 11:07 am
Dean1234

Hopefully we have at least another 9 years and 2 months use of it before the rack gives us grief. Laughing

A new video update incoming. You know you couldn't go more than 2 days without one. Laughing

https://youtu.be/u8VEqHTy2a4

For those who don't watch the video. I guess the main things from it is, if the problem isn't fixed with the change of reservoir and I end up fitting a pump. The instructions for the pump ask for the car to be cranked over but not started. How's the best way to do this on the Freelander 2? In the video I had the idea of pressing the button to start the engine but pressing it before it fires as the only idea that I had?

Also, would I be right in the places I pointed at on where to fill it before it gets to the car?

Thanks everyone for your continued input Thumbs Up . https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438841 26th Jan 2024 3:57 pm
I Like Chips

Dean it's in the FB group below, I didn't realise about joining to view. the link works on my machine. It's free to join

Land Rover Freelander 2

Post #438843 26th Jan 2024 5:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>