Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Power Steering Not Working Since Changing The Reservoir
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Fuel pump cranking without starting for how long. If only for a few seconds I would remove the fuel flow pipe at the filter. But in order to use any fuel in the pipework run the engine before fitting the Steering pump.

Last edited by I Like Chips on 26th Jan 2024 9:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #438844 26th Jan 2024 6:07 pm
FL2ukkent

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Can you not just crank the engine over without it starting by not pushing down the clutch pedal?

Post #438850 26th Jan 2024 8:51 pm
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Without the clutch peddle the ignition just switches on and off. The only way to get the engine into any sort of life is to push the clutch down. Smile https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438851 26th Jan 2024 9:40 pm
FL2ukkent

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

FL2ukkent wrote:
Can you not just crank the engine over without it starting by not pushing down the clutch pedal?

πŸ˜‚ shows how much notice i take just automatic starting it without thinking about it πŸ˜‚

Post #438855 26th Jan 2024 11:11 pm
Dean1234

Saturday update: Me and Alana were out at it at 9am and we finished at 3:30pm. We started off by draining and switching from the eBay reservoir to the Britpart reservoir, flushing and bleeding...and...no luck. The same issue still persists. Big Cry

After pondering whether to just throw in the towel or soldier on, we opted to soldier on and change the pump. After much huffing and puffing, we got it primed, fitted, flushed and bled. We got it down on it's wheels and things looked hopeful. 2 laps around the block and it's still working.

We are not jumping for joy just yet because I have read posts from people that have "fixed" their power steering, only for it then to give up again on their next trip out. So keep an eye on this thread for an update tomorrow after we have used the car for more normal use. Very Happy

We noticed this in our eBay reservoir:

Click image to enlarge

If the problem is solved, I look forward to cutting it open to see what it is.

This was the Britpart reservoir after we took it off to check after the change of reservoir didn't work:

Click image to enlarge

If it's fixed, then thanks to everyone that's helped out in this thread, you're all top! Thumbs Up Also thanks to Jules for the tip about removing the headlight as it makes everything SO MUCH easier! Thumbs Up https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438865 27th Jan 2024 5:42 pm
dreamlands

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Fingers crossed for you Dean, as for the black bits in the first picture,

"my motor factor who said, "did you change the rack at the same time as the bottle" they assured me that it would be 100% be the rack and it would be putting bits of worn rubber seals into the bottle"

Hopefully they've all collected in the first bottle, my steering is spot on now's I've had the tracking done, now another headache has cropped up and looking back through the forums (2011 to be excate) it was costing over a grand to sort out, I'll be trying one easy option first and if that don't work then it bye bye Landy Crying or Very sad

Post #438868 27th Jan 2024 6:33 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hope it’s finally sorted go get some beers.

Post #438869 27th Jan 2024 7:20 pm
Dean1234

dreamlands wrote:
now another headache has cropped up and looking back through the forums (2011 to be excate) it was costing over a grand to sort out, I'll be trying one easy option first and if that don't work then it bye bye Landy Crying or Very sad

If it helps, in 2 years of ownership we have had:

- New haldex
- New rear diff
- New steering rack
- New steering pump now
- New clutch and flywheel with seals done at either end of the transmission
- Timing belt and waterpump
- Track rod ends
- Handbrake cables and shoes
- New shocks, springs and top mounts all round
- New front wishbones and control arms
- New aircon radiator
- Mounts in and around the engine area.

That's before you get to the tyres, guards, liftkit and other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten. I always think that one day...just one day it'll be a car that stops going wrong for at least a year. Laughing

SYFL2: I treated myself to a Greggs latte and Alana got a Starbucks frappe in the hope we can celebrate. Laughing

Today's update: We have been out and about doing the shopping and the likes and so far so good. Fluid level isn't dropping and the steering seems to be all good. Alana's going to use it for work next week so I'll give a final update after Friday to see if we can officially call it fixed. Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #438884 28th Jan 2024 12:22 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Good news I hope you have fixed it.

On the subject of repairs and costs, I have noticed there are some what I consider reasonably priced examples about especially when I consider how much I spent over the last year or two. However doing most ( but not all) of the work maintenance/ repair work myself I know it's been done well, it's a case of better the devil you know.

Post #438904 28th Jan 2024 10:38 pm
Dean1234

Just to hopefully round up this thread. Alana used it for work for a week and we have since used it a decent amount. It still feels like something isn't quite right, but I'm putting that down to me being really hyper sensitive to it from having the issue. Very Happy So overall I'm declaring this problem as now being fixed! Lets hope I haven't jinxed it now. Laughing

As a side note. During our issues, Alana and I managed to put together a video on changing the reservoir for all those that are not sure if they feel comfortable doing it on their own car. Smile

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic39751.html

Thanks again to everyone that provided any input in this thread. It was greatly appreciated. Thumbs Up https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #439266 10th Feb 2024 10:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234