« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Haldex mistery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Arctic wrote:

I Have also read and heard good things about this company below, anyone used them and their services before please.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/land-rover...solutions/

That's the same company I used for the VW via their eBay link.
Great service.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174802669287?mk...media=COPY Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #437223 21st Nov 2023 8:11 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
That's the same company I used for the VW via their eBay link.
Great service.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174802669287?mk...media=COPY
[quote]

Hi Bob.
Thank you for your reply, i am currently waiting my 20 mins after unplugging the large plug to the Haldex which it says in their trouble shooting page, will drive it if no grabbing scrabbling then it the ECU apparently.

Post #437235 22nd Nov 2023 1:06 pm
Arctic

Ok so a bit late in my reply after unplugging the Haldex ECU to do the test, drove ok without any grabbing or scrabbling, it did show up faults on the dash/IPK.

Therefore according to the link added above i am or could be looking at the ECU being the problem, most likely N373 control valve being stuck open.

( UNPLUG THE HALDEX ECU, LEAVE FOR 20 MINUTES, THEN DRIVE TO SEE IF THE SCRABBLING ISSUE STOPS:-

If it no longer scrabbles (but you will get warning messages on the dash), then you are mechanically good, and this is just a control system issue – most often the N373 control valve is stuck open (we sell them here), replace the N373, the filter and oil, ensure a good blow out the oil route between the N373 Valve and the filter with the air line while the filter is removed.
If it still scrabbles, then the Haldex clutch pack is mechanically defective as it is sticking together or jammed inside. Replacement of the coupling is required.)

They are not open at the moment but supposed to be back on the 24th so a call should help me with more info.

Post #437246 23rd Nov 2023 3:29 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

There are videos that show how to replace N373 Jules

Post #437252 23rd Nov 2023 11:01 am
Arctic

Quote:
There are videos that show how to replace N373

Jules
[quote]

Hi Jules.
Thank you, i have three Gen 3 Haldex in my shed which I'm currently taking apart to see how they are and how they work, i have not yet removed the ECU from them, i wonder if they have the same N373 valve ? hopefully with the decent weather we are supposed to have i can get the PTU oil changed, drop the oil from the Haldex remove the pump, and fit a new filter even though the dealer i purchased from says they did it about 2 months ago (i do not trust them).

I can then check the N373 valve out on the Gen 4

Post #437253 23rd Nov 2023 11:51 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

blaster1232 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Since my haldex module seems to be ok after pinpoint test and the pump is running when connected to 12V, my main suspect is indeed the PTU and ripped splines.

In regards to sleeve coupling manual gearbox and PTU - there are two types of sleeve - for automatic and manual gearboxes. Automatic gearbox sleeves are the same between Volvo and Land Rover cars so you can pick whichever is cheaper. When it comes to manual transmission sleeves - They are not interchangable. Volvo sleeves are shorter, therefore, the only option is to buy Land rover sleeves - LR061606.

Main dealer in Latvia quoted me 476 EUR for this part, which is ridiculous. Managed to source an OEM sleeve for 183 EUR, and ordered it today (britpart was available for 130 EUR). I will keep you updated.

Brilliant thread - thanks to all who contributed.
Ever since I bought my vehicle 4 years ago, It has had a Haldex fault but only in warm conditions. On setting off under light acceleration in a straight line the haltex appears not to release cleanly and makes a slipping sound. It sounds like a problem with the haldex clutch - a professional haldex service did not solve the problem. Anybody come across similar ? Any ideas? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #437258 23rd Nov 2023 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

[quote="Arctic"]

Quote:

Jules
Quote:

Hi Jules.
Thank you, i have three Gen 3 Haldex in my shed which I'm currently taking apart to see how they are and how they work, i have not yet removed the ECU from them, i wonder if they have the same N373 valve ? hopefully with the decent weather we are supposed to have i can get the PTU oil changed, drop the oil from the Haldex remove the pump, and fit a new filter even though the dealer i purchased from says they did it about 2 months ago (i do not trust them).

What is the spring pressure on the N373

Post #437260 23rd Nov 2023 10:42 pm
Arctic

Lakelander wrote:
blaster1232 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Since my haldex module seems to be ok after pinpoint test and the pump is running when connected to 12V, my main suspect is indeed the PTU and ripped splines.

In regards to sleeve coupling manual gearbox and PTU - there are two types of sleeve - for automatic and manual gearboxes. Automatic gearbox sleeves are the same between Volvo and Land Rover cars so you can pick whichever is cheaper. When it comes to manual transmission sleeves - They are not interchangable. Volvo sleeves are shorter, therefore, the only option is to buy Land rover sleeves - LR061606.

Main dealer in Latvia quoted me 476 EUR for this part, which is ridiculous. Managed to source an OEM sleeve for 183 EUR, and ordered it today (britpart was available for 130 EUR). I will keep you updated.

Ever since I bought my vehicle 4 years ago, It has had a Haldex fault but only in warm conditions. On setting off under light acceleration in a straight line the haltex appears not to release cleanly and makes a slipping sound.
Quote:
It sounds like a problem with the haldex clutch - a professional haldex service did not solve the problem. Anybody come across similar ? Any ideas?

Whom and what professional service was carried out on your Haldex ?

Post #437262 24th Nov 2023 2:09 am
Arctic

[quote="I Like Chips"]

Arctic wrote:
Quote:

Jules
Quote:

Hi Jules.

Quote:
What is the spring pressure on the N373

Hi Mr Chips.
have not got a clue, but i did manage to remove the N373 valve yesterday from the Gen 3 Haldex.

I have three Haldex Gen 3 as spares.

Springs disc.

N373 valve.

Still need to find out if the valve is interchangeable with the Gen 4 valve ?

Post #437263 24th Nov 2023 2:21 am
Badger51

Australia 

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/shop/halde...373-valve/

These guys sell an N373 valve, but say it’s for Gen 4 only. Make of that what you will, but looking at your Gen 3 one, it is clearly different.

Borrowed pic off the net, credit to original photographer etc.

(Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #437264 24th Nov 2023 3:40 am
Arctic

Quote:
https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/shop/halde...373-valve/

These guys sell an N373 valve, but say it’s for Gen 4 only. Make of that what you will, but looking at your Gen 3 one, it is clearly different.

Borrowed pic off the net, credit to original photographer etc.

Hi Badger.
Thank you, yes i had read that already and noted it was different, it also notes that the Haldex Gen 3 is interchangeable with the Gen 4 they both fit the diff, but the actual parts are not, only Land rover could come up with an idea like that.

Hopefully today i will get chance to drain the Haldex, remove he new pump one month old, and the fiter, change the oil the dealer put in Ravenol so he said, i have read that oil is rubbish so will change it out after i have done the PTU.

Last edited by Arctic on 27th Nov 2023 2:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #437266 24th Nov 2023 9:30 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Arctic wrote:
Lakelander wrote:
blaster1232 wrote:

Ever since I bought my vehicle 4 years ago, It has had a Haldex fault but only in warm conditions. On setting off under light acceleration in a straight line the haltex appears not to release cleanly and makes a slipping sound.
Quote:
It sounds like a problem with the haldex clutch - a professional haldex service did not solve the problem. Anybody come across similar ? Any ideas?

Whom and what professional service was carried out on your Haldex ?

It had a Haldex service carried out by Bell Engineering, perhaps it needed more? It was done in winter so all seems good as the problem only manifests itself when the outside temperature is above 17/18 degrees? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #437275 24th Nov 2023 11:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Arctic wrote:
only Land rover could come up with an idea like that.

To be fair Landrover didn't make the Haldex Units.
They came from a swedish company, Haldex Traction (now owned by Borg Warner).
Gen1 came in 1998 and Gen 5 in 2012 (but I think only VAG used the later version).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldex_Traction Jules

Post #437277 24th Nov 2023 5:48 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I'm still thinking your problems stem from the control module. We also had the shuttle control valve fault code on the VW but the valve itself was fine, just the circuit board that controls it was corroded. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #437292 25th Nov 2023 2:59 pm
Arctic

Quote:
I'm still thinking your problems stem from the control module. We also had the shuttle control valve fault code on the VW but the valve itself was fine, just the circuit board that controls it was corrod
ed.

Hi Bob.
Are you referring to my problem or the OP this is the only trouble jumping onto someone elses thread and adding your problems, the thread can get mixed up, link below is mine.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic39481-15.html

Post #437325 27th Nov 2023 2:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>