Home > General > Haldex mistery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
Haldex mistery

Greetings!

Haldex on my freelander 2 has not been working since i bought the car 3 years ago. Its 2008 freelander with GEN 3 haldex. I know that there are many haldex threads here on forum, but I just could not find anyone with the same symptoms (or lack of them), therefore im looking for ideas:

Problem : Haldex simply does not engage. I have tried this in winter on clear ice, also on a lift - only front wheels spinning.

Tests that I have done:
* front PTU splines are OK, propshaft is spinning when driving.
* I have changed the haldex filter and haldex oil - did not solve the issue, old filter and pump was free of gunk.
* haldex pump shows resistance of 7.5 ohms, It does make a high pitch sound, when connected to 12v, therefore I assume it is working
* I have scanned the DTCs on my launch x431, not a single fault regarding rear diff module.

No loud bangs or clunks, no jerking, it simply acts as a fwd even on pure ice - front wheels keep spinning, haldex does not engage.

Is there any way to make sure which of components (module, valve, pump) is faulty, before I start replacing parts at random?

Thanks!

Post #436841 7th Nov 2023 11:53 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

With the engine running jack up one rear wheel handbrake OFF chock front wheels, you should not be able to turn the jacked up wheel, IF you can probably Haldex pump not working properly. Have you checked the fuse? when you move through the different TR modes are they shown on the dash? 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #436844 7th Nov 2023 12:24 pm
blaster1232

Thank you for clear instructions. Will try to do this on friday!

When it comes to TR modes, my freelander is not equiped with terrain response. I wanted to retrofit it, but it seems that a brand new abs module has to be bought.

When it comes to the fuse - I have not inspected it, since i thought that fuse would instantly show a DTC, but indeed I should have checked that first.

Post #436846 7th Nov 2023 12:39 pm
blaster1232

Rommel wrote:
With the engine running jack up one rear wheel handbrake OFF chock front wheels, you should not be able to turn the jacked up wheel, IF you can probably Haldex pump not working properly. Have you checked the fuse? when you move through the different TR modes are they shown on the dash?

Rommel, We might be on to something. Fuse was good, jacked up rear left side wheel, car running, handbrake disabled, neutral gear. I can turn the wheel freely. It is likely that the pump has failed, right?

Post #436979 12th Nov 2023 2:35 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Thats what I would suspect, assuming the filter screen is not clogged I would remove the pump and connect it to a battery and check that is it running however it might not be pumping its full pressure but if it is running it probably is? other than that it could be the module or poor electrical connections to it , try unpluging and replugging a few time to clean the connection and check for any broken or corroded pins.

Also you say the front prop is turning when driving? it will as the rear diff will turn it, jack up rear wheel again handbrake off as before but put it in gear engine off and try and turn front prop by hand if it turns PTO splines worn.

Good luck. 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #436982 12th Nov 2023 5:39 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

If after checking the pump is working and its screen filter isn't clogged you may find that your haldex control module is faulty.
Have you checked it for fault codes?
I have had this issue on my wife's VW Tiguan 4motion with it being fwd only, no warning lights on dash but showing control module fault code when scanning the obd.

I sent it to this company:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174802669287?mk...media=COPY

who offer a no fix no fee service. Unfortunately my control board inside the module was badly corroded and beyond repair so cost us an additional £90 for a replacement pcb. Still good value at 250 as a replacement unit from VW is £800. It was returned fully cleaned rebuilt and resealed and after installing 4x4 was restored again. I'd happily use this company again. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #436985 12th Nov 2023 6:35 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My haldex pump failed - no DTC codes - just lost 4WD .

Initially thought the PTU splines had gone but the slowly worsening noise turned out to be a LH front wheel bearing. Jules

Post #436989 12th Nov 2023 7:33 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The OP has the Gen 3 haldex which is different from the Gen 4 in that the electric pump is only used to pre-charge the system with a mechanical pump providing hydraulic pressure during normal operation. Thus I’m not so sure the electric pump is the culprit here.

Quote:
Generation 3 Couplings - up to 2009MY

An internal electronically-controlled pump provides hydraulic pre-charge pressure within the coupling. The pre-charge pressure supplies the required operating pressure to the clutch plates to eliminate initial wheel-spin as the vehicle accelerates from standstill.

In conjunction with the pre-charge pressure a mechanical hydraulic pump operates within the clutch plates to supply the coupling's main hydraulic operating pressure. The mechanical pump is functioned by the 'input' and 'output' of the coupling:

input - driveshaft connection from the front axle,
output - differential connection to the rear axle.

Any speed difference between the front and rear axles will start the operation of the mechanical hydraulic pump. The amount of hydraulic pressure applied to the clutch pack by the pump determines the gap between the clutch plates. For example, the greater the hydraulic pressure, the smaller the gap between the plates and subsequently the greater the torque transmitted through the coupling from the front axle to the rear axle.

This main hydraulic pressure is designed to transmit the torque for traction demands of off-road driving, and to provide lock-up as required.

Post #437011 13th Nov 2023 11:19 am
blaster1232

I love this forum and all the great inputs it is possible to get. Thanks a lot.

Considering this, I will book a time on a lift, so I could check if the propshaft is actually spinning from front PTU. If it is, it means that there is input to mechanical haldex pump from front, and I would assume that there is also output from rear, as apart from first signs of pinion bearing wearing off in rear diff, there is nothing wrong with it. If I can cross these out, I will go for a pump replacement.

btw, has anyone tried this DIY haldex gen3 module diagnostics?
&t=207s

Post #437022 13th Nov 2023 10:53 pm
blaster1232

I don't know yet if I feel happy or not-so-much about discovering that the PTU splines are gone - as advised, I raised one of rear wheels, left the car in gear, unfortunately propshaft spins very freely.

It is a pitty that BellEngineering is more than 2500 km from where I live. Even though I couldn't find anyone reconditioning freelander PTU here where I live, there are some who offer this for Volvo PTU, im positive they will be able to fix mine as well.

Currently I am planning to replace my PTU during Christmas holidays.

Last edited by blaster1232 on 18th Nov 2023 11:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #437129 18th Nov 2023 8:26 pm
Kot

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

You could always send it to Bell. There are a few vans that bring passengers and goods from Latvia to the UK to most large towns/cities. Or you could DHL it etc.

Post #437131 18th Nov 2023 10:23 pm
blaster1232

This is indeed what I am currently considering, especially as Bell states in their website that they have some sort of upgraded sleeve for manual gearboxes that prevents future spline failures.

This would come at additional cost and I would clearly have to spend a week without a car, but that is an option.

In addition : Is it common for splines on gearbox side to wear as well, or is it mainly the splines on PTU side?

Also Do i undestand correctly that connecting sleeves are different from auto to manual, and in the picture, manual sleeve is the one on right?

Click image to enlarge

Post #437134 18th Nov 2023 11:26 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I am booked into Bell Engineering January, but was a bit confused when i read the the fix for juddering, really surprised there is no warranty of guarantee on you unit for this service ?

https://www.bellengineering.co.uk/service-...ist_widget

I may therefore have to contact them or ask on the day if it's best to replace the Haldex completely for a new refurbished one.

I Have also read and heard good things about this company below, anyone used them and their services before please.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/land-rover...solutions/

Post #437199 21st Nov 2023 11:34 am
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

I have bought service bits from haldexrepairs, but that's about it. I spoke on the phone with them before ordering. They were accommodating and supplied the right parts. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Post #437208 21st Nov 2023 1:18 pm
blaster1232

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Since my haldex module seems to be ok after pinpoint test and the pump is running when connected to 12V, my main suspect is indeed the PTU and ripped splines.

In regards to sleeve coupling manual gearbox and PTU - there are two types of sleeve - for automatic and manual gearboxes. Automatic gearbox sleeves are the same between Volvo and Land Rover cars so you can pick whichever is cheaper. When it comes to manual transmission sleeves - They are not interchangable. Volvo sleeves are shorter, therefore, the only option is to buy Land rover sleeves - LR061606.

Main dealer in Latvia quoted me 476 EUR for this part, which is ridiculous. Managed to source an OEM sleeve for 183 EUR, and ordered it today (britpart was available for 130 EUR). I will keep you updated.

Post #437220 21st Nov 2023 7:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>