I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Do$h Any comments on this one

Post #424499 22nd Aug 2022 5:38 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

herrwernersens wrote:
The tool kit:

Is it possible to use this tool kit for the rear wheel bearing as well? bearing and hub at the rear come as two parts, that's why I'm asking.[/quote]

Which FAG kit is that ?
Im thinking of doing it myself. Jules

Post #424501 22nd Aug 2022 6:24 pm
I Like Chips

Jules if you decide to DIY and it's successful I may well be interested in hiring it from you

Post #424506 22nd Aug 2022 6:40 pm
I Like Chips

Jules it's not a FAG puller

Laser have them for a price

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/Product/5784/...m-for-Ford

Or do a search on ebay or Amazon for

82mm hub puller

Don't know if the are suitable for the rears

Post #424555 23rd Aug 2022 9:25 pm
jules

That's quite a price difference (and wouldn't be cost effective for me) - the ones on ebay are around only £75 !! Are they made of cheese I wonder? Jules

Post #424557 23rd Aug 2022 10:18 pm
I Like Chips

That is the question you buy one and let me know how you get on, I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I knew they worked

Post #424560 23rd Aug 2022 11:35 pm
jules

MMRover says he bought a "quality FAG bearing" kit. But I dont know from where, how much or which model? - yes 82mm seems the correct size.

Austen at Bell Eng. says the bearings are really hard to get off & on. He uses a 40tonne press. I worry that these incredibly cheap kits on ebay will not be up to the job and I end up stuck with broken puller and an undriveable car.

Anyway, Im running out of time to get this done before my cycling holiday in Italy and dont want to leave SWMBO with the FL2 in bits. Im also installing a new septic tank - and that has got to take priority before I go according to SWMBO. So its booked in at the garage later this week. Jules

Post #424586 24th Aug 2022 2:20 pm
Linds Hanson

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Moby wrote:
I've got a noise offside front which I think is bearing related. Slow rumble that increases with speed, and, gets worse with right turns.

I have a hse i6, does anyone have a part number for full front knuckles and hubs please?

Much appreciated.
Nearside front LH if noisey on RH turns

Post #435702 15th Sep 2023 2:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Linds Hanson

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Moby wrote:
I've got a noise offside front which I think is bearing related. Slow rumble that increases with speed, and, gets worse with right turns.

I have a hse i6, does anyone have a part number for full front knuckles and hubs please?

Much appreciated.

Post #435703 15th Sep 2023 2:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

As it happens, I had to get a front wheel bearing replaced a few weeks ago and it was an apparently simple task carried out by my local tyre shop/garage. Total cost was £150 plus VAT.

Post #435744 16th Sep 2023 12:49 pm
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

jules wrote:
herrwernersens wrote:
The tool kit:

Is it possible to use this tool kit for the rear wheel bearing as well? bearing and hub at the rear come as two parts, that's why I'm asking.

Which FAG kit is that ?
Im thinking of doing it myself.[/quote]

Those videos above does it the hard way....

The answer is yes and no.

Its not a direct fit, but you can use the flange, screw, nut and large washers together with a suitable piece of pipe and some pieces of iron to get it going. The procedure is quite different for the rear bearing, but the principle is the same: Pull the bearing out with the screw by placing the load on the correct faces, then drive it back in with the screw by putting the load on the correct faces.

And the best thing, You do not need to take down the complete strut to replace the bearing. We all know that this easily gets into a 3-day ordeal on older cars.... Just remove the brake parts and drive shaft by removing the centre nut and bolts for the lower arms and pull it out.

1. Put the new bearing in the freezer.
2. Get the flange out of the bearing using a slide hammer i.e. Can also be punched out from behind using a socket/pipe that have a proper fit against the flange stud, but be careful to not damage it. Remove the inner race from the flange stud by splitting it nearly through with a grinder and then use a cold chisel. Clean up the flange/stud, then put it in the freezer.
3. Use the nut, washer, large flange and screw from the kit together with a piece of tube that has an ID approx. Ø85mm and length 50mm to pull the bearing out of the hub. Clean the hub bore.
4. Drive the new bearing into the hub by using the old bearing as a spacer against the large flange. Screw through bearing and hub, retained on the back side using the nut and a steel bar with a Ø22mm hole drilled through.
5. Use the large flange, screw, nut, washers and necessary spacers to drive the flange into the bearing.

Have done this 5-6 times and works perfect. Might have some pictures somewhere....

This is similar, but by using a DIY tool, consisting of a M20 threaded rod, nuts and different pieces of metal Very Happy

Just need to note that this is a pretty simplified procedure.... A good DIY-er will figure out the rest Wink

Post #436545 24th Oct 2023 11:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12