Home > Technical > Front wheel bearing - special tools needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Front wheel bearing - special tools needed

Hi all,

It seems that one of my front wheel bearings are on its way out. As far as I know, a special tool is needed to replace these as it is replaced as a unit with bearing and hub flange. Has anyone tried to do this without the tools?

Post #347710 18th Apr 2018 6:22 am
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Land Rover advises that a special tool in the form of a press and various spacers is used to press the old bearing out and the new one into the wheel knuckle but it’s not an easy task, and the bearing can be damaged. 

There is another option however that makes the job quicker and easier. That option is to replace the complete front steering knuckle, wheel hub and bearing assembly.

Here is a link showing how to remove the knuckle step by step.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/fr...2-pictures

As far as I can remember having not done one for a while you will need.General workshop spanners and sockets including 13mm, 17mm, 18mm, 21mm and 24mm. Torx bits T25 and T50, soft-face hammer, pry bar and torque wrench.

Good luck

Post #347713 18th Apr 2018 8:47 am
MRRover75

Hi,

I have done some searching and see that the type of bearing construction is called "Gen2". It shall be pretty easy to press out the old bearing assembly, but a special tool is needed on assembly to place the force on the bearing outer ring when pressing the assembly into the hub. I think it should be possible to manufacture the spacer ring needed to do this with a lathe I have accessible, but I need to obtain the bearing first to get the measurements.
On the other hand, it might be easier to remove the hub assembly from the car and get one of my local garages which have the tool to press in the new bearing.....

Post #347724 18th Apr 2018 10:43 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

My ns bearing got noisy, garage took the hub out, couldn't shift the bearing with a 10 tonne press - managed it with a 50 tonne press from a fabricator on the same estate. But the labour involved + bearing cost, outweighed the cost of a complete hub and knuckle assembly.

£80 complete from eBay (item number eBay Item No. 382435290875) Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #347730 18th Apr 2018 12:39 pm
MRRover75

Quick update:

I have replaced the bearing. I bought a quality FAG bearing assembly and got the special tooling to replace it. All done with the hub in place on the car. Nice tool that worked superb Smile

Bearing tool mounted for removal of the old bearing assembly:

Pulling out the old bearing by tightening up the threaded center rod. Heavy leverage was needed to shift the bearing in the first place. Adding som EP grease to the threaded rod prior to the job is essential.

Putting the new bearing assembly in was done in a similar way, just using another splited plate behind the bearing flange that fits onto the bearing shoulder together with a plate on the back of the hub to pull the assembly in.

The tool kit:

Post #357515 24th Sep 2018 7:32 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Bearing removal tool looks the business, I just replaced both Knuckles/bearing instead , bought both sides from E-bay for £125.00, I did find that the drive shaft tight in the bearing housing, replaced the pads & discs at the same time. Thumbs Up

Post #358098 3rd Oct 2018 10:09 pm
Moby

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I've got a noise offside front which I think is bearing related. Slow rumble that increases with speed, and, gets worse with right turns.

I have a hse i6, does anyone have a part number for full front knuckles and hubs please?

Much appreciated.

Post #372849 30th May 2019 8:09 pm
Badger51

Australia 

It's not rocket science!

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/front-hub--bearing-13459-c.asp (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #372866 31st May 2019 7:48 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I assume the ear defenders were given to your neighbour so they couldn’t hear the swearing? Laughing Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372867 31st May 2019 7:49 am
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Just a further note for anyone who may be considering replacing the front wheel bearings on their FL2...
I’ve just done ours on our 2010 Sport... rather than trying to push the bearings out I just bought the whole hub assembly which makes the job a bit easier..
Word of warning though! All was going swimmingly until it came to the 15mm bolt used to tighten the top of the hub assembly to the front shock absorber..
As I was undoing it I needed to utilise a breaker bar as the thread was old and weathered...unfortunately it then sheared and the bolt was left in two pieces...

Moral of the story .... if your car is as old as mine buy a spare bolt to replace it with when replacing assembly.

Relatively easy job but some fiddly bits Very Happy

Post #376299 5th Aug 2019 10:56 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just bumping this with a link to a useful video that demonstrates how to use these Gen2 Wheel Bearing tools. Note that on the video the wheel hub uses bolts rather than studs and nuts, so the positioning pins pass through these.

Rather than go through the bolt holes, the positioning pins pass outside the hub on the FL2, as per the excellent pics from MRRover75

&ab_channel=NTNEurope

Guess what I'm doing this weekend Whistle Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #417073 14th Jan 2022 12:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

jp wrote:
Bearing removal tool looks the business, I just replaced both Knuckles/bearing instead , bought both sides from E-bay for £125.00, I did find that the drive shaft tight in the bearing housing, replaced the pads & discs at the same time. Thumbs Up

On ebay £200 each side now
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224026576534?ha...SwM2Zez9gi Jules

Post #423392 19th Jul 2022 11:05 pm
herrwernersens

Germany 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

The tool kit:

[/quote]

Is it possible to use this tool kit for the rear wheel bearing as well? bearing and hub at the rear come as two parts, that's why I'm asking.

Post #424490 22nd Aug 2022 8:35 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Having just done the two wishbones and front bearings as complete replacement hub units, I had to buy a couple of tools to do those and found the work relatively easy albeit a bit of a strain.

I've started to look at replacing the rears at a later stage as and when they go and have come to the conclusion that it would be better to either put on complete hubs from a scrap yard myself or else pay a garage to replace the bearings. Of course if I had to do a few and was being paid to do so iI would buy one of the better extractors or a press.

In the event of actually needing a bearing change I would likely go to Bell as first choice

Last edited by I Like Chips on 22nd Aug 2022 4:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #424497 22nd Aug 2022 4:19 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Ah, Beavis "Are you asleep yet? You soon will be" Pitts, mounting his 10T press on a £29 workmate knockoff.... Rolling with laughter Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #424498 22nd Aug 2022 4:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>