« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fix or trade in / scrap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Fix or trade in / scrap

I know it’s a frequently asked question and it’s down to individual circumstances but could any of you guys please share your opinion on the pros and cons of fixing up my fl2. I have posted up several issues in the last few months with several very helpful suggestions as to repair methods and costs.. my issue is this. My car is an 07 so early model and it’s the basic s model so a horse and cart is better specced. Now the dilemma, being basic spec it has little value and we don’t do huge mileage but we use it for towing a fairly heavy caravan so it needs to be properly roadworthy and safe.
The issues I now face as mentioned in previous posts, we have rear suspension issues ( it’s like a jelly on the back end if you twitch the wheel). The power steering is heavy to non existent at times so clearly nit right and potentially unsafe. Brakes are poor but still work.(looking at full replacement to resolve) . Steering lock now playing up, currently working again. Rear lower sill holed and will need welding for next mot. Rear suspension link bars and struts Censored and need refurb. Good points engine is still smooth and reliable, doesn’t smoke and no real oil usage or leaks ( minor one on cam cover) Body shabby but expected for age….124k on clock.
It had front suspension refresh, clutch dmf , inlet manifold etc a couple of years back and all still fine.

Question is should I punt for a later better model or stick with the devil I know and throw a load of money at it to end up with a tatty but mechanically reliable car. Genuinely don’t know which way to go given the high prices of run out fl2s and the fact I could swap one money pit for another. I’m relatively handy spanners wise so mainly costs are for parts rather than labour.

Kind of think an sd4 auto would be better for towing, the extra 30hp being useful on the hills,! Not sure why I feel guilty for flogging the old chap up hills fully loaded with 5 adults, a pile of stuff and a 1700kg caravan in tow. I know it’s only metal but I do feel that cars have a personality and a soul.

As always your thoughts are most welcome.

Chris M

Post #434642 2nd Aug 2023 10:36 pm
dreamlands

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Upgrade/Trade-in, you clearly know what to look for when viewing another one, you won't regret it.

Post #434648 3rd Aug 2023 6:49 am
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

You clearly like the Freelander 2, and they are excellent tow pigs (even in the base model) and that seems to be the reason you have one, if I were you I would WBAC/chop it in against a late model of your choice and spec - you clearly know what to look for, and accepting you are going to have to put some money to it, as that's what it's for (I'm not being flippant here, as I do don't know your financial situation).

You will end up with a car you like & most likely in high spec SD4 format and have a cracking motor, after all you are a long time dead, so enjoy it while you are here Mr. Green .

On the plus side, now that that nice Mr Khan has got the green light to extend his pay to pollute scheme there may well be some cracking bargains going in the home counties Very Happy so start looking there if I were you.

Cheers
Brian Cool

Post #434677 3rd Aug 2023 5:46 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

You will end up with a car you like & most likely in high spec SD4 format and have a cracking motor, after all you are a long time dead, so enjoy it while you are here Mr. Green .

Couldn't agree more, High Spec, Late Model, SD4 Auto is the way to go. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #434682 3rd Aug 2023 7:31 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Biased but agree that a late model SD4 is a lovely car.
I tow a big twin axle caravan with mine which it handles with ease.

Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434684 3rd Aug 2023 8:53 pm
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Decision made after looking at several vehicles, not just FL2 but other brands too. It really is a minefield with so many variations and prices and some garages are just plain untrustworthy. As it happens we have purchased a 2012 sd4 xs in metallic black from the same garage we but the last one from. 106k on the clock and paid to have a towbar fitted prior to collection. It seems to drive well enough and is coming serviced with new cambelt / water pump so hopefully its not a dud. 5 owners seems a little high compared to others we've looked at..fingers crossed.

Post #434894 12th Aug 2023 5:50 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Excellent choice. Hope it goes well for you.
Pop some pictures up when you get a chance. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434899 13th Aug 2023 9:56 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

It would be my choice over the other '4WD' option. Personally wouldn't be caught dead in whitegoods!

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #434900 13th Aug 2023 10:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1