« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Throttle body noise - not the gear's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Throttle body noise - not the gear's

I don't normally work under the bonnet with the ignition on so this could have been going on for some time.
Anyway, I have a squealing sort of noise from the throttle body when the ignition is on, engine off. It's not the normal shutdown sequence as it's constant. The noise is coming from the throttle motor. I dropped the throttle body down to see if it was sticking or something. Everything is clean and the butterfly works as it should, normally open then ignition off goes through the shutdown routine then butterfly open and noise stops.
I don't think it should be making this noise, anyone had something similar. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #430992 18th Mar 2023 3:34 pm
Jools_needs_help

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

I just posted something exactly the same. Mines like a constant beep. If I unplug the wiring then you can hear the butterfly spring back and the constant beep stops.

Post #430994 18th Mar 2023 3:51 pm
gasman

Hi Jools
Just seen your post.
My issue is not like yours, I don't have any DTC's. I don't even know if I have an issue, just haven't noticed the noise before. It appears to stop when the engine is stated but it's hard to tell even with a screwdriver as a listening device.
I know what you mean though about the wiring diagram could do with a bit more information.

Sorry just realised you replaced the throttle body and the codes cleared.
Does it start with the replacement or is it still a non runner? Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #430996 18th Mar 2023 4:45 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Throttle body needs to be stripped down to check the gears out or else fit a replacement

Post #430997 18th Mar 2023 4:54 pm
Jools_needs_help

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

gasman wrote:
Hi Jools
Just seen your post.
My issue is not like yours, I don't have any DTC's. I don't even know if I have an issue, just haven't noticed the noise before. It appears to stop when the engine is stated but it's hard to tell even with a screwdriver as a listening device.
I know what you mean though about the wiring diagram could do with a bit more information.

Sorry just realised you replaced the throttle body and the codes cleared.
Does it start with the replacement or is it still a non runner?

The codes didn't clear with the new one on mine. It starts, but doesn't run as it needs a solenoid in the gearbox.
Currently this and the gearbox solenoid are the two main issues.
My battery seems to be weak so I'm going to try with one from my daily driver tomorrow. I find it strange how I can have both a reading high and low fault at the same time. I' also wondering if it needs calibration.

Post #431001 18th Mar 2023 5:03 pm
gasman

New throttle body should be calibrated using JLR SDD diagnostics Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #431003 18th Mar 2023 5:16 pm
gasman

Hi Chips
The butterfly in the throttle body works as it should. The sound I get is not the usual gear noise. It doesn't come from the gear housing but the small electric motor. I've just checked with the engine running and I think the noise stops, hard to tell though even with a screwdriver as a listening device. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #431005 18th Mar 2023 5:21 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I am as deaf as a post and am often asked by the youngsters ( anyone under the age of 55) can you hear that noise, I typically reply "what noise"

Last edited by I Like Chips on 18th Mar 2023 8:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #431007 18th Mar 2023 5:30 pm
gasman

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #431013 18th Mar 2023 8:18 pm
gasman

I would appreciate it, if tomorrow someone could check their car to see if the throttle body makes a noise with the ignition on and engine off. Thanks ๐Ÿ‘ Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #431014 18th Mar 2023 10:16 pm
gasman

No one? Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #431029 19th Mar 2023 4:24 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

gasman wrote:
I would appreciate it, if tomorrow someone could check their car to see if the throttle body makes a noise with the ignition on and engine off. Thanks ๐Ÿ‘

Well mine makes a constant whirrring sound ign on engine off stays there till ign is off cannot be 100% its coming from the throttle body as I am a bit mutton jeff but definitely in the vicinity. 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #431030 19th Mar 2023 5:21 pm
gasman

Top man Rommel
Thanks ๐Ÿ‘ Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #431032 19th Mar 2023 8:14 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Throttle body noise not the gears

Hello Gasman

Sorry but only just read your plight, just been outside and turning on the ignition (engine not idling) with bonnet up, the throttle body area on mine is a high pitch whine whilst touching the motor casing, shutting off the ignition then the throttle body rattles for approximately 6 seconds then off.
The car has sat still for approximately 11 hours since early this morning.

I plugged in the diagnostic reader only Saturday-yesterday with no faults recorded, itโ€™s my usual Saturday morning check, if the tyres are checked weekly then the diagnostics too.

I have recently replaced the cambelt and water pump (2nd time) 7 years 48000 miles, a little over kill but certainly a piece of mind as a well done job, the previous belt a Gates was showing signs of perishing on the other side of the teeth plus a little coolant loss around the water pump shaft,

I did read that once upon a time that the throttle body replacement needs re alignment somehow by diagnostics, Well I didnโ€™t with mine, all I did was to allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes then blip the pedal to full throttle then back to idle. Never had an issue really. No doubt someone will pick up on my comment?

Post #431033 19th Mar 2023 9:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Throttle body noise- Not the gears

Sorry chaps

To add to my idle and then full throttle quotation.
A few years ago I worked for a well known car security company where installing various devices to whatever, many times we installed to JLR.
At a main jlr dealership in Warrington I was unfortunate to remove the main battery due to unforeseen events around a cable. Unfortunate but had to!
Well after re fitting the battery and engine running the engine management light was on, cap in hand I approached the workshop for advice telling them what I had done.
In reply the technician stopped the engine, removed both battery cables, carried out a power reset re connected the battery started the engine and allowed it to idle for 5 minutes. Then he floored the throttle pedal to full throttle then allowed the engine to slowly idle down.

No engine management light on, smooth idle and after him turning off the ignition the throttle body rattled then shut off.
On turning on the ignition a whining from the throttle body, I asked him what that noise was? He said the butterfly valve is hovering waiting for the rush of air from the turbo on starting so the valve can regulate by canbus from the airflow sensor too plus the airflow from the air intake/ turbo.

Technology eh I said, Yes it is he said. These are very simple but reliable diesel engines but just need a human brain to reset them occasionally. I left him with a five pound note and a big thank you!
Yes a power reset always works- Sometimes! Itโ€™s just knowing how!

Post #431034 19th Mar 2023 9:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>