Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Car with expensive taste?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

jules wrote:
To quote BP
"bp Ultimate Unleaded has a higher octane (97 RON minimum) than the minimum 95 RON required by law for petrol in the UK. For petrol vehicles that have been designed to take advantage of a higher octane fuel those drivers could achieve some immediate fuel economy benefits although this will also be influenced by their driving style.

I have the 2.0L petrol engine. I always use 98 which increases range which is really good in outback Australia. The problem is that sometimes you can only get 91.

The extra price does work out about the value of extra range.

As far a diesel, algae in the fuel tank is a bit of an issue in Australia. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #429551 1st Feb 2023 12:31 am
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I would guess most people are just happy if their car starts in the morning gets them to work and stops when they want it to, or can get all the kids in for the school run or Sunday football etc. performance etc are way down the list of what they will be thinking about. They might even have a freelander but just because they can get the dogs in it or bootsale stuff and not interested in the functioning of the car. So what fuel they put in is probably influenced by is it on route or do they sell milk etc as well.

Post #429555 1st Feb 2023 7:59 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Indeed.
I get the wife to fill up when she goes swimming or yoga classes and passes the card-only Gulf filling station which is the cheapest fuel near us, but I rarely drive in that direction. Jules

Post #429566 1st Feb 2023 12:04 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

Oh Lordy - 93 pages of intense debate on 2 stroke oil. Had a quick flick through and I think I'll just try a bottle of Wynns Injector cleaner first!!

Post #429567 1st Feb 2023 12:13 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

I have used 2 stroke mineral oil in my Defender with positive results less emissions, quieter, smoother, more MPG. instant starting, more torque, but there are those that will disagree. alternatively try FORTE injector cleaner 1st.

Good uck. 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #429569 1st Feb 2023 12:47 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

yorkshirerob wrote:
Oh Lordy - 93 pages of intense debate on 2 stroke oil. Had a quick flick through and I think I'll just try a bottle of Wynns Injector cleaner first!!

Over 100k miles with 2 stroke used for most of them. No black smoke. Still on the same throttle valve actuator, good starting, quiet. Still the same glow plugs though they must be hanging. Mpg about 33. Even the swirl flaps are still there!

Post #429570 1st Feb 2023 1:16 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

No I wouldn't bother reading it. Go with the Wynns if you have an injector issue.

Although 2SO has cleaning properties there is little evidence for consumers to review (IIRC Mercedes researched it a long time ago now), rather like these super diesel fuels where nothing is in the public domain AFAIK.
However supporters of 2SO have been using it for decades. Others have worried about possible detrimental effects and warranty issues. So the choice is yours.
Personally I see it as a bit like adding in some Wynns every now and then to clean the injectors primarily.
Its certainly much cheaper than using a super diesel which adds about £15 to a tank of fuel.

However, I think its much more important to treat the engine properly; regular oil & all filter changes, and shorter intervals if doing short, stop/start journeys. Use quality parts and oils (though IMO there is nothing to choose between oils of the same spec). Not thrashing the engine when cold. Don't nanny the engine all the time- get it hot and make it work hard every now and then. Jules

Post #429571 1st Feb 2023 1:30 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
Indeed.
I get the wife to fill up when she goes swimming or yoga classes and passes the card-only Gulf filling station which is the cheapest fuel near us, but I rarely drive in that direction.

Wife refilling car with fuel ! Can you explain as it’s not something I am familiar with. Haha

Post #429577 1st Feb 2023 3:26 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

jules wrote:
No I wouldn't bother reading it. Go with the Wynns if you have an injector issue.

Although 2SO has cleaning properties there is little evidence for consumers to review (IIRC Mercedes researched it a long time ago now), rather like these super diesel fuels where nothing is in the public domain AFAIK.
However supporters of 2SO have been using it for decades. Others have worried about possible detrimental effects and warranty issues. So the choice is yours.
Personally I see it as a bit like adding in some Wynns every now and then to clean the injectors primarily.
Its certainly much cheaper than using a super diesel which adds about £15 to a tank of fuel.

However, I think its much more important to treat the engine properly; regular oil & all filter changes, and shorter intervals if doing short, stop/start journeys. Use quality parts and oils (though IMO there is nothing to choose between oils of the same spec). Not thrashing the engine when cold. Don't nanny the engine all the time- get it hot and make it work hard every now and then.

Jules,

What mpg do you get with your Sd4 with premium diesel and 2SO added? I seem to hover around the 33mpg average, not brilliant but not awful for a 2 ton 4x4. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #429601 1st Feb 2023 11:24 pm
Bobupndown

Edit, triple post! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Last edited by Bobupndown on 2nd Feb 2023 1:12 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #429602 1st Feb 2023 11:24 pm
Bobupndown

Edit ,- triple post ! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Last edited by Bobupndown on 2nd Feb 2023 1:10 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #429603 1st Feb 2023 11:24 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Come on Jules answer him, he’s asked three times Rolling with laughter

Post #429608 2nd Feb 2023 12:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123