Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > JLR going electric - Eventually
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
moestr7v8

England 

Used to travel on the trolley buses in south London when we were kids I think it was a 630 and a 629 were the numbers, blimey suddenly realised how long ago that was Rolling with laughter
Cheers
Moe

Post #405126 11th Mar 2021 11:22 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Are these Jag I-Paces?

Whatever they are it's not a good look, and demonstrates how much energy is stored inside the innocent looking batteries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-63864540

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/news/elect...ory=foryou FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #427572 8th Dec 2022 9:26 am
Dartman the one

England 

Not so sure about that, there is no indication of a battery fire and there is no evidence that all the cars were the E variety, looks like a standard tyre fire that got out of hand, not that unusual on motorway truck fires. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #427575 8th Dec 2022 10:30 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Just a guess, trailer brake overheats, hub cooks, trailer tyre sets fire, the rest is messy.

The fire fighters (firemen?) are seen to be putting the fire out with traditional hoses, if the lithium batteries were compromised then putting water on them would be akin to pouring petrol on the fire as lithium REALLY likes water.

So lucky for the firefighters that the batteries weren't compromised, unlucky for the poor souls who have been waiting for many months for the cars. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #427576 8th Dec 2022 11:19 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

moestr7v8 wrote:
Used to travel on the trolley buses in south London when we were kids I think it was a 630 and a 629 were the numbers, blimey suddenly realised how long ago that was Rolling with laughter
Cheers
Moe

Yes, me too but in North London. Did you ever have fun by pulling the handle that changed the points, or frog as it was called, where the bus could turn of the main route, and have a giggle as the conductor had to get out and hook the overhead electrical pick-ups back on with that long pole that was housed under the bus?

J

Post #427580 8th Dec 2022 11:57 am
Dartman the one

England 

Used trolley buses in Brighton to go to school, they just swept up hills though at the terminus the conductor had to change the hookups for the bus to turn through 180deg. in my latter school days the trolley buses were replaced by AEC diesel buses with manual boxes, they took twice as long the climb the hills and the take off from stops going uphill were painful. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #427582 8th Dec 2022 12:44 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

You are right about the performance of the old trolley buses, they would silently pull away and romp up hills. I don't know who the maker was but they had a wooden framed body which had a distinctive rattle and rumble. The rumble probably came from the tyres on the two rear axles. These buses were taken out of service and replaced by the diesel AEC Regent, the fore runner of the Routemaster. The Regent was the bus used in that dreadful Cliff Richards film Summer Holiday.

The Regents were OK but the pre-selector gearbox was not 100% reliable. The gearbox protruded into the body of the bus and got quite hot which was good in the winter to put your feet on if you could get the front downstairs seats.

There is a very steep hill that the regular bus routes could not use as a fully loaded bus could not get up it and they had to make a detour round it. On weekly school trips to the local swimming pool the bus hired for the trip would go up the hill presumably because a bus half full of kids was a much lighter load. However, kids being kids, when the bus was halfway up the hill on the way back to school we use to go to the back of the bus and in unision jump up and down and this would cause the bus to stall. We though it was good fun but the driver was not so pleased as he had to reverse down the hill to get a run at it and that made us late back for lessons - shame!

J

Post #427603 9th Dec 2022 10:33 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Jimboland wrote:
moestr7v8 wrote:
Cheers
Moe

Yes, me too but in North London. Did you ever have fun by pulling the handle that changed the points, or frog as it was called, where the bus could turn of the main route, and have a giggle as the conductor had to get out and hook the overhead electrical pick-ups back on with that long pole that was housed under the bus?

J

That brought back some memories. You could always jump onto a Routemaster as it started moving but no such luck with the Trolley bus and its superior acceleration. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #427605 9th Dec 2022 11:50 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dartman the one wrote:
Not so sure about that, there is no indication of a battery fire and there is no evidence that all the cars were the E variety, looks like a standard tyre fire that got out of hand, not that unusual on motorway truck fires.

That was my impression, trailer wheels lock and a few minutes later…… Big Cry …..after a few days some irate customers get an email! Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #427611 9th Dec 2022 2:59 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Having looked at the pictures I agree it looks like a trailer brake fire.

PS If they knew that they were only going to scrap the I-Paces, it's a pity that they didn't drop one off to me before the event.
Its a nice car, therefore a sad loss. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #427622 9th Dec 2022 5:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123