« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Unsolvable Problem? ... My FL2 engine just cuts out ... dead
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Richard H

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I once had something like this on my son's old Ford Fiesta, he bought it cheap as a summer runabout and I noticed that there was a new ignition coil and plug leads etc so there obviously had been a problem with it. He called me out one night as it had stopped and I went round waggling connectors as he tried to start it. Sure enough one was sensitive to being touched and we got it going.
Given the abrupt loss of power it almost sounds like a similar problem with this FL2 an intermittent bad connection somewhere that heats up slowly and closes some of the car's systems down. I presume that things like the locking mechanism, lights and radio are still working when it stops. I would be having a look at every connector I could find and squirting in some switch cleaner for a start, also I presume that you have monitored the battery voltage

PS another thought ,what about the throttle body ? Do you still hear the whistling noise for a few minutes when the car stops ? One of the throttle body's jobs is to stop the engine.

Hello, Dorset freelander.

An interesting thought ..... I'll have a look at the throttle body ...... Yikes. By the way I had a new throttle body fitted some years ago. (£350, I recall) . So, maybe its not bust or whatever. Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #421803 30th May 2022 3:32 pm
Richard H

Ah ha!.
Please excuse my error ... based on ignorance ... What I saw the Garage in Pau do was to Wipe clean the Crankshaft Sensor, which is situated to the left of the Common Rail. I confused this with the Crankshaft Position Sensor, which is situated low down in the engine adjacent to the crankshaft pully, and is accessed by removing the rhs front road wheel and the wheel arch plastic trim! Anyway i've replaced that censor. Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #422084 6th Jun 2022 6:01 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

No need to remove the front wheel to change the crank position sensor, just the liner needs moving aside.
Unfortunately I had to change the sensor at the side of the road a few weeks back, no big problem, and was on my way in under 10 minutes. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #422093 6th Jun 2022 8:24 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

In absence of any resolution could you ring LR and ask them?

Post #422099 7th Jun 2022 5:58 am
Richard H

sid wrote:
all the symptoms of crank sensor,ive experienced this kind of fault on other vehicles at the roadside ,with and without fault codes,crank sensors will fail and then car will restart and sometimes go for days without reoccurring .any way yove got to start somewhere.£10 upwards

Hi there. Yes, I've changed the Crankshaft positions sensor. I 've now had the HP fuel Pump refurbished, and the solenoid bypass valve renewed, too. Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #422398 15th Jun 2022 5:39 pm
Richard H

Latest update is ...............

We have a refurbished HP Fuel pump and new bypass valve (on the pump Unit). So , HP fuel is accessing the fuel rail. This is good.

My biking friend, Nigel, then got some splutters from the engine, upon cranking, with some help from injecting the air intake with Brake cleaner spray ( which is highly inflammable!).

We then checked out the Throttle housing ( replaced a few years ago). It was fine, really clean and the butterfly vane was working smoothly.

The engine cranked and exploded into 'Rotation' for about a minute .... achieving 2500 rpm. Nigel believes that there may have bee a blockage caused by a garage stuffing some paper into the system, when parts were replaced 2 1/2 years ago.

Anyway, I'm replacing the fuel rail and the associated sensor and pressure regulator . Neither the users guide nor the workshop manual does not state what the two unit ate the end of the common rail actually do. I believe that the unit screwed into the left hand sid, as views fron the front of the bonnet, is a PRESSURE SENSOR, and that the unit on the other end of the Fuel Rail, is a solenoid actuated pressure relief valve. Am I correct? I'm expecting to receive the replacement common rail unit on Friday ( 17th June 2022) , and will post my finding !!!! Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #422401 15th Jun 2022 5:57 pm
Richard H

Latest......

Replaced the crank shaft sensor, High pressure fuel pump and new return valve, so we now have high pressure fuel in the common rail. ECU said LOW Pressure in the common Rail .... but we know it was 350 bar, which is good enough whilst cranking! we lifted out a a fuel injector . Upon cranking, nothing much happened. No fuel cam out of the injector. Spray came out of the cylinder head, though. Upon refitting and tightening all the nuts on the injector feed pipes we got a HP jet of fuel hitting the garage door at high velocity., upon cranking and ignition to 2500 rpm ,using brake cleaner input to the throttle body.

Conclusion ..... the Engine management system is not instructing the fuel injectors to open! We suspect a faulty Diesel Management module or Engine Management Module !
I will investigate how many ECU units are in a FL2, with a view to replacing them or re-programming them .... Rolling with laughter Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #422583 21st Jun 2022 5:47 pm
Richard H

sid wrote:
richard,it would be nice to know if this was solved.

Unfortunately, my car still does not work, having spend several hundred pounds on replacing bits etc. As of today, Wed 27 July, 2022, I've decided to scrap the car , and move on. It did fire up briefly a week ago, but then stopped. Having cloned the ECU with one having the same part number, I thought it might work, but the alarm keeps going off, and there is no way to solve that problem, without shelling our a few hundred pounds, only to find that that doesn't resolve the problem.

Big Cry Rolling with laughter Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #423631 27th Jul 2022 1:15 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Sorry to hear the car has become economically unviable, despite all your efforts. Sadly when electronics go wrong it can be a nightmare and the demise of a vehicle. Jules

Post #423632 27th Jul 2022 2:00 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Richard H wrote:
sid wrote:
richard,it would be nice to know if this was solved.

Unfortunately, my car still does not work, having spend several hundred pounds on replacing bits etc. As of today, Wed 27 July, 2022, I've decided to scrap the car , and move on. It did fire up briefly a week ago, but then stopped. Having cloned the ECU with one having the same part number, I thought it might work, but the alarm keeps going off, and there is no way to solve that problem, without shelling our a few hundred pounds, only to find that that doesn't resolve the problem.

Big Cry Rolling with laughter

Why not sell it as spares or repairs. There are plenty of people that will pay you more than scrap value. Thumbs Up 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #423639 27th Jul 2022 5:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123