Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Replacing rear vibration damper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
thehelper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Well before I spend £50 on 2 new dampers then struggle to get a spanner on those inaccessible nuts that have been exposed to weather for years, I thought I would have a go at sticking them. As advised super glue would be no good. I looked around the garage and found some thick black glue used to fix felt to shed roofs. I heated the damper spindles with a hot air gun then trickle the thick black glue into the void. It was a bit messy so on the other side I injected some black rubberised gutter repair sealer through a bent nozzle, once again heating the worn spindle first. I finished off by tightening a heavy duty cable tie around the spindle above the rubber to unsurely it cannot bounce up.
So far, after a few hundred miles both sides are still tightly bonded. I must say that the difference is amazing. It's amazing what knocks and vibrations we put up with and get used to.
The other option I thought of was to cut the rubber block vertically then open it up and remove it. Fill it with rubberised sealant then snap it back on. Tighten a cable tie round it and leave it to set.

Post #411690 23rd Aug 2021 9:19 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello Guys

Just got replaced the shocks on my LR2 (Bistein B4) ... definitely firmer than genuine shocks.

The genuine shocls are "labeled" Land Rover but could not see who is the manufacturer Question

Other fact : there was no damper on mine ... Rolling Eyes Wonder if I can order them and install them with the new Bilstein B4 shocks ?

Post #418311 9th Feb 2022 2:25 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Yeah you can order them but why not transfer the originals from the ones you removed? I did replace one that was damaged from LR but I don't think they actually do much IMO.

Post #418313 9th Feb 2022 2:48 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Actually they weren’t on the shocks I removed … Whistle

Post #418318 9th Feb 2022 6:01 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

OK, Cool ! I have them on mine but I seriously don't think they do much! However, someone with more specific knowledge may have more specific info. Looks at it this way, you can add them at anytime, easy-peasy! Thumbs Up

Post #418319 9th Feb 2022 6:28 pm
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've just replaced my shocks, no noticeable vibrations it noise without them fitted. I only had one before (just the peg left on the other side)

Post #418323 9th Feb 2022 6:57 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Arese wrote:
Hello Guys

Just got replaced the shocks on my LR2 (Bistein B4) ... definitely firmer than genuine shocks.

The genuine shocls are "labeled" Land Rover but could not see who is the manufacturer Question

Other fact : there was no damper on mine ... Rolling Eyes Wonder if I can order them and install them with the new Bilstein B4 shocks ?

I changed my rear shocks over the weekend too (OE from site sponsor AF), my LH shock was leaking, so needed replacing for the MOT this week.

I had a vibration at 55 MPH, and noted the RH mass damper had come apart, the weight was just flopping about loose. The LH mass damper had been glued together, but I didn't notice that until I was refitting it.

However now the damaged mass damper has been replaced, the vibration at 55 has gone, and the car feels loads better to drive.
Interestingly the steering wheel had gone very slightly off to the right when driving straight, but now it's got new shocks on the back, the steering is straight again. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #418326 9th Feb 2022 8:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12