Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Nextbase 522 dashcam fit.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Nextbase 522 dashcam fit.

Had a Nextbase dashcam 522 model for Christmas & want to fit it soon. I also have the hardwire kit too. Its just live & negative to wire in.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help please.

I want it fitted so that if the car is parked & someone bumps it the dashcam will come on & record the event, if I wire to ignition controlled circuit I guess this will not happen as no power (I think internal battery is only for keeping the memory going). I obviously dont want it recording all the time when its in the garage parked for a couple of days. Do I need to find a permanent supply & fit a switch so I can leave it on when I want or turn off when I dont want it. If anyone has done the fitting before where did you get the supply from, back to battery or a fuse in the car.

Camera is wifi as well but does this only work when I am in the car with my mobile phone connected to it, if it is then obviously I would not get a notification if it was bumped in a car park or someone tried to break into the car. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

I keep pushing the escape button but I am still here.

Post #416583 2nd Jan 2022 3:50 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

SWMBO has a Nextbase that I fitted to her ST3. There isn’t a way to leave it recording in a low power or shock switched state without additional hardware that I’m not sure is available.
I’ve got a Viofo that does support leaving on. It will either record a shock event and a period around it or sit recording a frame/set interval, so you end up with a stop motion video. I’m not really comfortable with anything that drains the battery any more than the designed amount (the built in alarm) and both so called low power modes must be on constantly even if they aren’t writing to memory so don’t use either.
When it says the camera is wifi that just means that you can play it live to a mobile device or review recorded footage over wifi. The camera has to be powered up for this and works as a transmitter to which you attach the wifi of your mobile device. It is very slow and clunky so if I’m reviewing footage I take the card out and review it on a laptop.

Post #416587 2nd Jan 2022 5:09 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I have a the same Nextbase 522 Front and back cameras.

Just plugged into car 12 socket, no problems, good footage, and collects any 'shock' footage from its own internal battery.

Further comments here
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37202.html?highlight=522gw FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #416589 2nd Jan 2022 5:51 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I've just got round to hardwire my nextbase after 2 years of owning it but, I'm on the understanding the camera has its own built in battery so surely this should be enough to record any bumps that may occur. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #416607 3rd Jan 2022 11:20 am
blueboy

Where did you wire into for hardwire kit. Do you remember the fuse number & which fusebox. I hope your right about the cams own battery, most cams I have bought in the past the battery lasts only a minute or two before shutting down.

The Nextbase 522 is the best cam I have bought yet so hopefully battery will last longer when car is turned off. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

Post #416609 3rd Jan 2022 12:03 pm
IanMetro

You will find that given the 'right' unexpected knock will bring your 522 camera on long enough to capture what is going on around it (front and back?) on its internal battery. I don't think that you gain much by hardwiring it to 'always on' power.

Yes it goes into standby mode just after external power is lost, but it is still monitoring for G shocks.

The forum search for 'Wiring Dashcam' gives the following results

https://www.freel2.com/forum/search.php?se...rch_time=0 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #416616 3rd Jan 2022 2:39 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

blueboy wrote:
Where did you wire into for hardwire kit. Do you remember the fuse number & which fusebox. I hope your right about the cams own battery, most cams I have bought in the past the battery lasts only a minute or two before shutting down.

The Nextbase 522 is the best cam I have bought yet so hopefully battery will last longer when car is turned off.

They do have a battery and yes they don't last long but, if its just to record a one off bump then for me that's enough.
This video may help. The fuse box on the later FL2 is slightly different but still in the same place....from memory I used the 5th fuse on the top row from the the left.

MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #416620 3rd Jan 2022 2:53 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Some ideas one could utilise on their camera install. The hard wiring to the fuse box is the easy part.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36713.html

You can get two 26AH batteries under the seat if you want a lot of parked recording.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #417057 13th Jan 2022 9:02 pm
IanMetro

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Nextbase camera stops recording anyway after a period of non-movement.

This has happened a couple of times, but may be finger trouble on my part.

I can confirm however, once again, that the camera wakes up, and I have had a successful recording of a bump whilst parked. (It included a his startled wife as she watched the car being slotted into a tight parking space opposite, - after he had skimmed my bumper)

He was honest and left a note with phone number, but luckily no real damage occurred. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #417068 14th Jan 2022 9:32 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Fuse f5 in the glove box fuse box is what I piggy backed off. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #417069 14th Jan 2022 10:03 am
blueboy

Thanks everyone for your help, fuse F5 spot on in the footwell passenger fusebox. All working ok but just got to get the rear camera fitted now, another job for another day. I have a sunroof so a bit limited space to run the cable but managed it ok on my 2007 SE which also had a sunroof. I just used electricians fibre glass rods to fish it through to the front.

Only other problem I have is that I am constantly getting !! Low Battery !! when the ignition is on without the engine running, dont understand why as I changed the battery a couple of weeks ago thinking it would eliminate the problem, car is 7 years old so thought maybe its on the way out given all the electric seat heaters windscreen heater & stuff like that which we do use when out.

I fitted a quality Varta 85AH instead of the standard 80AH battery & also fitted the extra earth strap to the engine at the same time, as I had not used the car this week I put the battery on charge for 24 hours as well, I used the car today just to go into town & never used anything like seat heaters etc so only started the car & drove into town about 3 or 4 miles.

I fitted the dashcam when I got home & upon putting on the ignition to check it was working ok was met by !! Low Battery !! again. No dash lights warning about charge error or anything so a bit bemused why I get that message as its obviously not low battery at all. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

Post #417078 14th Jan 2022 3:48 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I have this message too at the minute, fitted new varta battery in the last year. No other issues at all so ignoring it. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #417081 14th Jan 2022 5:22 pm
IanMetro

Below is a copy of a message that I posted some while ago.

The FL2 Battery Management System always seems to be a bit eager to protect the battery and a bit slow to learn that a new battery (with a better working capacity) has been fitted.

Kwikfit changed my battery last November on my 2014 FL2. Everything went smoothly and did not have to reset anything.

Although my battery did not let me down, I had started to experience random 'phantom' faults on start up, and 'Low Battery' warnings. (as the weather got colder)

As they were all cleared by switching off/on, I took it that they were caused by low voltage during the 'ramp up' of the various control systems.

It might be my imagination, but I thought that the Battery Management System' took a few days to learn the capacity of the new battery, and adjust the 'Low Battery' warning
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #417082 14th Jan 2022 5:46 pm
blueboy

!!Battery Management System' took a few days to learn the capacity of the new battery, and adjust the 'Low Battery' warning!!

Battery has been on the car for about 3 or 4 weeks so would have thought it should know the battery voltage is high by now.

Its annoying because I often like some music on in the car while cleaning it but with this message it will just turn off after 3 minutes or so.

I had the same problem with my old 2007 SE, I replaced the battery & it was always ok after that. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

Post #417125 15th Jan 2022 2:12 pm
blueboy

I am having trouble with the Nextbase camera as every time it comes on without the engine running it shuts down 15 seconds later with a !Low Battery ! warning. I read somewhere the battery should last 15 minutes but mines permanently flat.

Maybe I need to fit it to a permanent supply from the car. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

Post #417170 17th Jan 2022 7:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>