Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Steering lock problem..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Metropolis Leigh

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Steering lock problem..

Hi all

Over the past month i have been having the steering lock problem where at times it wont start the car. Over xmas i looked online for a solution and found that buying one of these emulators below as one of the fixes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265144346371

Using this video to see how to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=761q-j7c-ok

The problem i am having is that my unit is different compared to the one shown in the video and i cannot for the life of me pull the clip out to insert the emulator into it. I have a Metropolis and i believe these were the last models made, and it looks too me that the car in the youtube video is older version so maybe slightly different way of getting it out. its so hard to see in there and actually being able to see how to get it out Censored
The picture attached is the connector into the lock....Can anyone help me with this one!

Post #416823 8th Jan 2022 6:51 pm
D1GG3R

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I fitted one of these emulators.

If I remember right, there is a little clip/lug at the back of the connector plug that fits into the steering lock.

It needs to be pushed in while you pull the plug out.

Post #416837 8th Jan 2022 9:11 pm
D1GG3R

This is the one I have. There is a video on the Web page somewhere.

https://www.mk3.com/land-rover-freelander2...k-emulator

Post #416838 8th Jan 2022 9:13 pm
Metropolis Leigh

Yeah that's what i was trying to find today but couldn't seem to find a clip or pull it out. its obviously me not approaching it correctly , im going to try again tomorrow. I have similar emulator so hopefully its sort the issue!

Did yours look like the picture of the connector in my gallery? i cant see any video or pics of the one i have

Post #416840 8th Jan 2022 9:25 pm
D1GG3R

Very similar yes.

Post #416842 8th Jan 2022 9:32 pm
Metropolis Leigh

Thanks, hopefully i sort it tomorrow

Post #416843 8th Jan 2022 9:53 pm
Metropolis Leigh

**Update**

So had another go at getting the connector out after a little bit of fiddling I managed to get it out. My connector is completely different to the ones shown anywhere else. It's only a single row of holes rather than 2 shown.

It tried to start but then came up with parking brake fault this time Censored

After mucking around I remembered there was a connector that is just inside on the left of the hole underneath steering wheel. Connected this back in and tried to start but again it wouldnt start. This time though the emulator made a noise and there was no parking brake lock message or steering wheel locked message. I have had to leave it for now as I've got things to do this afternoon but I have disconnected battery now and will leave like this overnight and see if that helps it start

Post #416864 9th Jan 2022 1:30 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

You do have a battery in good condition I take it?
Low battery voltage might be causing your problems?

Post #416868 9th Jan 2022 3:54 pm
Metropolis Leigh

Well its keeps flicking up low battery when I try and start and we also did try to jump it earlier but it didnt work. Problem I have is I have no way of charging as the car wont move. Saying that though all the lights work etc

So I just reconnected battery and tried to start it but it flicks the speedos over and then when they are back to zero says parking brake fault, with the low battery sign and the coil sign flicks up too...

Post #416871 9th Jan 2022 5:07 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

OK.

From your last post, I would say you likely have a battery issue. I think you need to sort that out first before tackling the steering lock issue?

Post #416872 9th Jan 2022 5:13 pm
Metropolis Leigh

Ok, I am starting to wonder that myself. I put a new battery in early in last year though.

My uncle knows a bloke who is an auto locksmith and has said he will pop down sometime in the next couple days to have a look for me and try sort it out.

So frustrating!

Post #416874 9th Jan 2022 5:51 pm
Swanny

Cyprus 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Hi there.....did you manage to sort your problem out?

I too have issues with the steering wheel lock which in turn immobilises the car. I also get the low batter warning on the radio screen.....even though I have a brand new battery on there now! Something drains the battery so quickly while trying to start the car.....or test this and that. The checks the car goes through on opening of the car seem extensive and can take the battery down quite a bit but after some minutes when the checks are finished the voltage comes slowly back up but not to the original voltage.....probably .10 volts lower.....very weird......

I was going to buy a steering lock emulator but when asked to check which wire was the 12v feed I found the voltage very low to the steering lock ....about 3.v and no earth reading at all ......so an emulator may not work either as it needs 12v. Something is reducing the power and earth to the steering lock.

Incidentally I have had issues with the passenger front door where it won't unlock but the others do.....is the gremlin perhaps?

Post #418259 8th Feb 2022 9:00 am
Swanny

Hi there.....did you manage to sort your problem out?

I too have issues with the steering wheel lock which in turn immobilises the car. I also get the low batter warning on the radio screen.....even though I have a brand new battery on there now! Something drains the battery so quickly while trying to start the car.....or test this and that. The checks the car goes through on opening of the car seem extensive and can take the battery down quite a bit but after some minutes when the checks are finished the voltage comes slowly back up but not to the original voltage.....probably .10 volts lower.....very weird......

I was going to buy a steering lock emulator but when asked to check which wire was the 12v feed I found the voltage very low to the steering lock ....about 3.v and no earth reading at all ......so an emulator may not work either as it needs 12v. Something is reducing the power and earth to the steering lock.

Incidentally I have had issues with the passenger front door where it won't unlock but the others do.....is the gremlin perhaps?

Post #418260 8th Feb 2022 9:01 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Metropolis Leigh wrote:
Ok, I am starting to wonder that myself. I put a new battery in early in last year though.

My uncle knows a bloke who is an auto locksmith and has said he will pop down sometime in the next couple days to have a look for me and try sort it out.

So frustrating!

All of my low battery warnings and associated transmission fault error messages were caused by a drained battery which in turn, was caused by a faulty door lock module.

These cars are very sensitive to less than optimal battery condition.

Post #418263 8th Feb 2022 9:34 am
Swanny

Hi,

Thats very interesting....as I mentioned I have what appears to be a sticking front passenger door lock which when I remotely open the car it's black locking rocker button moves every so slightly but not enough to open the door. I wonder if this is the culprit. Though my battery does drain, when it's fully charged the steering lock error still persists unless the door lock is creating some kind of resistance or drain that stops the steering lock getting the power it needs. It looks to be only getting around 3.7v......

Perhaps I'll take off the door panel and have a look .......

I took to having the central locking only open the drivers door so the passenger door wouldn't try to open but this seems not to have solved the issue either.

Thanks

Post #418266 8th Feb 2022 9:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>