Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Thoughts on Remapping..??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Smallmankey wrote:

I have always been under the impression that there where differences to the spec (Turbo maybe) rather than it just being down to mapping changes.
Sure I read of these at the time, can't be sure though memory isn't as sharp as it was so happy to be corrected.

My book (Landrover Freelander - The Complete Story) says prior to 2011 the TD4 had a compression ratio of 16.5:1 (DW12BTED4 engine) but after 2011 both the TD4 and the then new SD4 had compression ratios of 15.8:1 which I presume is the later DW12C engine with the water cooled turbo. They all had Garret turbochargers . AFAIK JLR consolidated the range (saved money) by using the same DW12C engine and just changed the map.

FWIW The FL2 could have had the newer gearbox as found in the Evoque at the time, but JLR kept the old one in the FL2 to differentiate models. Jules

Post #416217 21st Dec 2021 10:19 pm
jules

[quote="IanMetro"]

jules wrote:

Am I right in thinking that to make full use of the extra power, the auto gearbox would need remapping, or is the gearbox clever enough to realise that you have an engine that revs productively to a higher figure, and adjust itself.

That can be a problem and the new map needs to take that in consideration.

I once had a re-mapped Disco 2 TD5 auto. It was fine when bowling along in top gear but in lower gears, when you gave it some beans to say overtake , it had a tendency to change down and let the engine rev up instead of using the new found extra torque and stay in the same gear, keeping the revs down. The gearbox was crude by today's standards and a manual box would have utilised the remap better by being able to hold the current gear.

In contrast my BMW 330D (6 years after the TD5) was remapped to 300BHP and 550nm and the autobox didnt bat an eyelid - no additional mapping needed.
So to answer your question - it all depends. Jules

Post #416218 21st Dec 2021 10:32 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

My remapped Td5 was manual and very responsive. It did warp 2 exhaust manifolds though 😖 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #416228 22nd Dec 2021 11:32 am
Evil Elsie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Many thanks for the wise replies...

I'll have a word with the guy after New Year and see if he can 'replace' the missing peak of the power curve which can only help fatten the torque curve a bit.
So, thanks to the advice on this post I'm not going to ask him to 'max it out' but only to replace what's been removed and have a general tidy-up. I've got to do something as i find that power curve offensive... Laughing

I'll reply to this post when done but I know he doesn't have a dyno so there'll be no pretty pictures i'm afraid...

Cheers all - and have a good 'un... Thumbs Up 1974 Series 3 Lightweight
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100L
2006 FL2 HSE

Post #416230 22nd Dec 2021 11:55 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Andy131 wrote:
I may be wrong, but I thought that the FL2 limited the power in first as it was too much for the transmission. This implies that the gearbox talks to the engine management to say hold the horses, what happens with a chipped engine?

The manual gearbox doesn't have a computer, so can't talk to the ECM directly. However if there is some mapping orgmentation going on in 1st gear, then the ECM would know 1st is selected, as the TR module uses a simple switch in 1st and reverse, so it can run the HDC in those gears. The ECM would also be able to calculate what gear is selected, simply by cross referencing the road speed and engine speed, and comparing the two. The ECM, TR module and ABS module are in constant communication, so the ECM does know what's going on with the vehicle, and could definitely modify the power mapping to suit different gears, speeds and terrain too. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #416251 22nd Dec 2021 6:15 pm
jules

Evil Elsie wrote:

... but I know he doesn't have a dyno so there'll be no pretty pictures i'm afraid...

I dont' see how he can write a bespoke map for you or even adjust a generic one written by someone else, without a dyno.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this. Jules

Post #416252 22nd Dec 2021 8:04 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

It's possible to get an idea of torque output from a remap, simply by using the injector fuel throughput rate, verses air volume, multiplied by the RPM. However this is only really supposed to be the starting point of a remap, when the final "fine turning" is done on the rollers.
It is also possible to use all the map parameters from a previous rolling road session on another identical vehicle, however this doesn't take into consideration slight engine variations.

So in short, it really needs to go on the rollers, especially if torque curve orgmentation is required, to help limit damage to gearboxes and final drive components.

Rover used this exact technique to limit gearbox damage on the MG Metro Turbo in the 90s.
Basically the turbo boost pressure was limited to flatten the natural torque curve of the engine, as the engine was capable of delivering sufficient torque at full boost to shorten the gearbox life to a few hundred miles. Obviously Rover didn't want to be changing gearboxes under warranty, so they limited the boost pressure where the engine made maximum torque, which kept the torque curve inside the maximum capacity of the gearbox. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #416267 23rd Dec 2021 9:55 am
Evil Elsie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Thanks for the additional info.

I'll have a chat with him and ask about the lack of Dyno....

Cheers, 1974 Series 3 Lightweight
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100L
2006 FL2 HSE

Post #416362 26th Dec 2021 5:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12