Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Pulsating vibration and (?) bad struts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
Pulsating vibration and (?) bad struts?

Hello, after fixing many smaller issues (CPS, ABS fault), i've come to 3 biggies or less obvious ones.

1) When driving, especially on speeds above 40 mph, i can hear a pulsating vibration from rear. My first thought was that rear diff is gone, but, by sitting in trunk, while my dad was driving it i managed to locate that the sound is coming from left rear wheel. Right after i got the freelander, at wheel alignment guy told that left rear bearing is on its way out. The next day I changed the bearing, but being an idiot as I am, i managed to split the new bearing into two halves. Since no obvious damage was done, I just pressed the two halves back together, and it seemed to be fine - a little tighter to spin by hand that I would like to, but it worked. Could it be that I pressed the bearing too hard, and it is no good? The sound doesn't seem to change when driving in angles, and is not constant, i can feel 1-2 second long vibrations, pulsating every 1-2 seconds. So 2 seconds of vibration, 2 seconds without. No play in the bearing when checking the wheel on jack stands. Has anyone had this issue?

2) When i fitted my 19'' wheels, i noticed that sometimes in angles, tyre would rub against the inner plastic arch, which seemed to be weird. (right tyre size, original evoque wheels). I measured distance between the tyre and all sides of wheel arch, compared i to the right side. On left, i have 3cm less space between tyre and top of arch, and around 4cm less space between tyre and right side of arch (when looking at wheel). The frame has not been damaged/bent, all the bushings are fine, alignment done perfectly, spring seems to be without any damage. Could a new strut and spring set solve this?

3) When going over big bumps, I can hear a knock on my rear right side. Checked all the bushings, drop links, everything is fine. Could the problem be in the left rear strut somewhere? It seems to be leaking some oil, but other than knock, struts are working good on rear.

If anyone can give me any advice before I order all 4 struts springs and rear left bearing, it would be very appreciated.

Post #414332 7th Nov 2021 10:49 am
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

I think you need to change the wheel bearing and all the linkage bushes as well as the rear struts. Make sure that the top strut bearing is sound as well, often forgotten. You might want to change the rear springs as well, as one is weaker than the other. My daughter complained of clutch slip on her FL2, it was a failed Bevel Box, not clutch. Worth checking that first, as the shafts vibrate badly if the drive id inconsistant.

Post #414334 7th Nov 2021 11:02 am
blaster1232

Thank you Jagracer for your reply. That was my grand plan - 4 bilstein struts, 4 KYB springs, front SKF bearings for struts (Am I right thinking that there are no top bearings in rear?) rear left bearing, all 4 droplinks, new bushing for anti roll bar (since they are cheap), and all 4 suspension arms on rear. Grand total of 800 EUR in parts alone, and 2-3 days in garage. My main fear is that this investment will not solve all issues, that's why I ased. But I will check the transfer box as well, thank you Smile

Post #414338 7th Nov 2021 12:03 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

That's a big difference in tyre clearance clearance between the sides. How do you explain it ? Something must be broken, worn or bent.

You say "spring seems to be without any damage" - Are you absolutely sure ?? Its possible for the end of a spring to break and remain hidden from a quick inspection.

Compare the the distance between the top and bottom of the strut's spring mounts to see if one spring is different. Jules

Post #414340 7th Nov 2021 12:28 pm
blaster1232

I agree that it is a HUGE difference, especially when my summer tyres and rims were touching the inner arch, I cant imagine how bad it will be during winter, when snow gets stucks in inner wheel arch. And I agree that there are 3 options - something bent, something broken/worn or bad strut and spring. I really did inspect the frame of car, and nothing indicates that the car has been crashed and repaired, all the distances between pillars etc were identical, no painting spots, no welding spots. As for broken/worn elements - there is not that much to be bent or broken on left front side. Hub assembly is good, drop link good, suspension arm brand new.

Although, I know that this car has gone over some sort of obsticle on a high speed. When I bought it, it seemed weird that both suspension arms were brand new. Also, my steering wheel was shaking like crazy on high speeds, I took the weels to balancing shop, and they were bent to a point where there was no point of balancing them (both front wheels). The spring visually looks good, but my suspicion would be that if it was broken or damaged, the guy I bought the car from could have just cut the spring shorter since he was a car flipper. But yes, I will measure the distance from spring to top mounting, good idea.

Post #414345 7th Nov 2021 1:46 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Just a thought, have you tried swapping the wheels left to right? If the offset is different it will show by swapping. The back end was all over the place on our 2008 car, and needed two Bilstein struts, ( thinking, front and rear are different lengths), and sat crooked. The arm bushes were also changed and track and toe in, camber reset. Expensive job with a new diff as well.

Post #414352 7th Nov 2021 6:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1