« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto gear lever knob removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red
Auto gear lever knob removal

Yes, I know removal of the gear lever knob is a well documented subject but I had to do it today as it seemed the ol' spring had broken and what I found seemed at odds with some of the guidance. This instruction on how to remove the knob - https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...20Knob.pdf - would suggest that the knob comes away completely from the gaiter, as do a number of YouTube videos. However, I found that the knob was secured to the gaiter (although by a piece of wire rather than a cable tie) such that pulling it up pulled the gaiter and the surrounding panel (which I’d taken the precaution of disconnecting from the floor console) as well.

In the event, the spring hadn’t broken - the knob had obviously been removed (hence the wire securing the gaiter to it) and not replaced properly - and refitting it properly by holding the button in solved the problem of the gear lever moving freely from P to D without the use of the button. I also took the opportunity to replace the gaiter, securing it to the knob with a cable tie rather than trying to secure it to the plastic collar.

It seemed to me more logical to fasten the gaiter to the knob rather than to the white plastic locking collar but I’d be interested in what others have found.

Post #413472 16th Oct 2021 6:23 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I came across the same issue when I had to replace the spring. When I pulled the knob off it came away from the gaiter. There was a tie wrap underneath when I took the gaiter off, but like you couldn't see how this fitted to white retainer as it seemed to be on the diagram. Eventually turned gaiter inside out and pushed knob up inside and fixed together with new tie wrap. When turned right side out and refitted to stick this now fits inside top of white retainer when you twist back in place.

Pity the instructions are not clearer. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #413475 16th Oct 2021 8:22 pm
Simon J

Yes, Andy, that’s exactly what I did I pushed the knob into the inside out gaiter, secured it with a cable tie in the upper groove at the end of the knob and then the white retaining collar clicks into the lower groove. Thumbs Up

Post #413476 16th Oct 2021 8:36 pm
Simon J

Interestingly, there’s a complete new gear knob, gaiter and surround (part number LR001374) on ebay at the moment ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREE...635-2958-0 if anyone is interested ) and the gear knob is clearly fastened to the gaiter as Andy and I have described above.

Click image to enlarge

Post #413501 17th Oct 2021 4:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1