Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Auto Gearbox Oil Change TD4 MY07-12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 21 <123 ... 161718 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
Raywin

England 

With the auto box did you just do consecutive dump and fills, or did you have a period of running the vehicle between the changes?

Post #410974 2nd Aug 2021 7:11 pm
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I did the change in one go. No mileage in between.

Post #410976 2nd Aug 2021 8:18 pm
Raywin

England 

jules wrote:
I used S & A lubricants in 2019 to change PTU, Rear diff and autobox oils 2 years ago when 40K miles were on the clock.

For the autobox, I exchanged about 90% of the original ATF using using dump & fill , which required 10L of new ATF.

Not done a huge mileage since then (retired + covid), about 10K miles - but had no issues.

Did you do a series of dump fills in a short period or do it over a longer period of time?
I’m just wondering if mixing the original non synthetic with the S&A synthetic and running fpor some time is an issue for the gear box?

Post #411002 3rd Aug 2021 1:04 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

Both fluids are probably adequate for the gearbox but nobody ever analyzed or tested them to together.

Could probably try it and see if it mis-behaves... that would be a hint to change it all out at once.

Post #411006 3rd Aug 2021 1:25 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Raywin wrote:
With the auto box did you just do consecutive dump and fills, or did you have a period of running the vehicle between the changes?

I ran the gearbox for about 5 mins between each exchange.

Got it up on ramps and level

Click image to enlarge
 Jules

Post #411018 3rd Aug 2021 7:28 pm
Raywin

England 

So I bit the bullet and decided to do the drop and fill method and use the Mannol 8218.
My experience was interesting, dropped the ATF into a container and measured what came out, 3lts of dark red fluid but no bad smell to it, so far so good. Put back the same amount of fresh ATF
Ran the engine and moved gear selector to each position for ten seconds, did this three times, dropped the ATF again, this time 3.5 LTRs came out why would this happen? if I put back the same as I took out first time.
I wondered if the fluid had not circulated correctly.
Put in 3.5ltrs of fresh fluid, ran the engine, did the selector moves, but then took the vehicle for a short run, maybe 2 miles ATF temperature was 69c so I shut it down and let it cool.
Ran the engine again and moved the gear selector through the positions, then when the ATF hit 59c took out the level plug with engine running, didn't measure it but it seemed that about three quarters to one litre came out.
Test ran the vehicle and changes were good but maybe not quite the same as the first short run before dropping the level to the correct point.

Now I intend to run it a few days and then do another drop and top, and see where that leaves me, this time I will measure what comes out, what goes in, and how much comes out when I set the level

Post #411533 19th Aug 2021 8:37 am
Raywin

England 

Today, I dropped the plug out and 3 ltrs came out.
I put back about 3.25 ltrs and ran the car, selected each position then drove it about half a mile.
Put it back on the ramps without shutting off the engine (it's level on my sloping drive ) Opened the level plug and about 0.25 litres came out, so I put everything back, and took it for a run, changes are very smooth even 1st to 2nd which always was the worst one.
I may buy a litre of the ATF and in a couple of weeks add 0.5 ltr then re set the level just to be sure.

Post #411576 20th Aug 2021 4:27 pm
Raywin

England 

Seems no good deed goes unpunished
Driving today and the changes seem good then PING transmission fault traction reduced
Now I think this is usually traced to Haldex pump issues, I plugged in the Foxwell and found pump pressure low fault , but its a worry, after doing the box last week I am worried that it may be in trouble but I cant understand why, I was pretty careful, anyway I ordered 1ltr of the Mannol 8218 and I will top up the box then re set the level just to be sure.
Strange thing though with ignition on and engine off I pulled out the Foxwell plug and the transmittion fault flashed up with a ping.

I also have a rear tyre which has a slow puncture, wonder if it causes rotation faults to show up?
I will charge the battery up today and order a Haldex kit, I did it two years ago when I had to do my diff but looks like it may need attention.

Post #411722 25th Aug 2021 8:54 am
ribama1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Raywin wrote:
I put back about 3.25 ltrs and ran the car, selected each position then drove it about half a mile.
Put it back on the ramps without shutting off the engine (it's level on my sloping drive ) Opened the level plug and about 0.25 litres came out, so I put everything back, and took it for a run, changes are very smooth even 1st to 2nd which always was the worst one.
I may buy a litre of the ATF and in a couple of weeks add 0.5 ltr then re set the level just to be sure.

Your right to check the level again. You seem to have done it correctly but the process is
Step 1 Is put in park on level ground, add .5 litres of oil and bring to 60 degrees C.
Step 2 Move through each of the gears (at least 3 seconds)
Step 3 Is with engine running, remove the level plug and let excess run out.

You can find the details on p1303 of the workshop manual which is on this forum.

Post #411764 27th Aug 2021 2:44 am
Raywin

England 

I looked at the web site of Auto Fault Finder, they say low pump pressure with a code 14 means pump down to earth or open circuit, so I ordered a new haldex pump, going to fit it today with a new filter and oil.
Stripped it yesterday and cleaned it carefully with some meths then put some clean oil on the plates through the holes in the side of the plate housing.

Post #411775 27th Aug 2021 9:44 am
Raywin

England 

ribama1 wrote:
Raywin wrote:

Your right to check the level again. You seem to have done it correctly but the process is
Step 1 Is put in park on level ground, add .5 litres of oil and bring to 60 degrees C.
Step 2 Move through each of the gears (at least 3 seconds)
Step 3 Is with engine running, remove the level plug and let excess run out.

You can find the details on p1303 of the workshop manual which is on this forum.

Yes that's the way I didit but using 0.25 ltrs of extra ATF, but it spooked me getting the transmission error straight after.
I drained and stripped the haldex and took it out, cleaned it up and fitted a new pump and filter, put it back and filled the haldex oil, then did the top up and syringe out procedure to get the right level.
Put 0.5 ltrs ATF in the auto box ran it a couple of miles then leveled it and took out the level drain plug, with engine still running, pretty much exactly 0.5 ltrs came outso I'm happy it was good before, and good now.
Ran it 140 mls today and it seems fine.

Post #411828 28th Aug 2021 3:49 pm
ribama1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I did mine today after adding an ATF cooler. That new cooler obviously holds some fluid so after making sure 60 degree fluid was running through it I competed the fluid level procedure.
After leveling the fluid by filling till the transmission level plug released some fluid, I put the plug back in and added an extra .5 litre. At this point the engine is off (and you have just finished filling .5l above the level plug). If you took the level plug out at this point .5l would simply run out (i check it, it did, and I replaced this fluid). After you run through the gears you check it again, but this time when the engine is running with 60 degree fluid and almost nothing came out. So the transmission pump must circulate .5l when the car is running.

Post #411994 4th Sep 2021 11:54 pm
IanTeign

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Hello all, just doing this today. I cannot get the filler plug out. What a bloody stupid place to use a torx head!

Have managed to chew the head out, busted a Halfords advanced torx bit in the process. Bent and extension as well!

Before I go any further I want to order a replacement filler plug. Anyone got a link to the ones with a hex head further up in the thread?

No idea how I'm going to get the old one out! Any ideas? ____________________________

FL2 SD4 XS - Current
FL2 TD4 GS (Auto) - Gone
FL1 TD4 Freestyle (Auto) - Gone

Post #423099 9th Jul 2022 3:31 pm
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Advanced Factors

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/automati...1806-c.asp

Post #423100 9th Jul 2022 3:47 pm
IanTeign

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Great, thanks. Got it. Will order one before I start trying to destroy the one that's in there ____________________________

FL2 SD4 XS - Current
FL2 TD4 GS (Auto) - Gone
FL1 TD4 Freestyle (Auto) - Gone

Post #423103 9th Jul 2022 4:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 17 of 21 <123 ... 161718 192021>