« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Random juddering then stalling and non start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dazoelry

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Random juddering then stalling and non start

So, after a couple of weeks of random juddering/lurching/hesitation the FL2 lurched and stalled pulling away from traffic lights and then refused to start. After trying shutting down, locking and unlocking it still didn't start so, resorted to pushing it out of the traffic. Whilst in the process of contacting the RAC I tried to start it again and it fired up. I carried on home and again experienced some juddering/lurching/hesitation.

Parked on the drive at home and had some lunch and then decided to take a look at it. Fortunately I also have a 1959 Series II and made the decision to swap these around on the drive so the SII wouldn't be stuck behind the FL2. Having started both of them up successfully (the SII had been standing about 2 months without use) I started some investigation on the FL2.

My cheapo "Streetwize" obd2 reader isn't seeing any fault codes.

Despite regular draining my Catch tank was full of sludge - a little concerned that this may be in the intake, but will pull some of the inlet hoses off later to check.

Tried to start it again, but is only cranking and displaying the "reduced engine performance" message.

Some Searching on this forum and Googling on others has suggested the Crank Sensor failed. I've got one on order so will try this.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

By the way its a 2007 2.2 TD4 SE with around 130,000 miles on it.

I also intend to change the fuel filter as this is also a suggestion on other sites, but this has been changed annually by me for the last 6 years so not totally convinced this is the issue, but it's due anyway.

PS if there is anyone in the Coventry area with a Fault code reader that is far better than mine and is happy to pop round and read them for me I'm in the Walsgrave area of Coventry - your help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Post #407618 12th May 2021 7:58 am
Timbo_1975

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey

Throttle body motor gears stripped or the EGR valve is stuck wide open.

Post #407626 12th May 2021 10:32 am
Dazoelry

Thanks Timbo, I'll check those out.

Maybe try fitting an egr blanking plate.

Post #407653 12th May 2021 7:15 pm
Dazoelry

Update time.

Well I've learnt the hard way that there are 2 different Crank Position Sensors (CKP) and you've guessed it I ordered the wrong one, they do look very similar with a casual glance and they both mount up to the engine, but when you try and connect the harness plug it won't go. There is a moulded locating ridge inside the plug and a corresponding one on the sensor. The sensor I ordered had this ridge approx 2mm closer to the centre than the original

You can hopefully see this in the pic.

For reference the easiest way to spot the difference is the size and shape of the sensor end, my original has the larger squarer end (and is the dirty one in the pic).
Having discovered I'd got the wrong one I popped to see my local friendly mechanic and mot tester, just on the off chance that he might have had one - they fit an enormous range of vehicles that use the DW range of PSA engines. Sadly he didn't, but he did tell me that he had never had to fit one and felt it unlikely that it was causing the fault. His suggestion fell in line with Timbos, but his initial thought was the egr valve sticking and when mentioned about the throttle gears agreed.

I had some more time - and a bit of a break in the rain (the joys of having a garage full of motorbikes and that the FL2 won't fit in anyway) - this afternoon and plunged straight in to the throttle body (mainly because it's so much easier to get to than the egr). It's all very simple to get to really and I found the easiest way to get it off was to disconnect the lower clip on the inlet hose.
Once out I had to open it up to check the gears and this is what I found -

Not a pretty sight.

You can get repair kits on ebay for around £30/40, cheap new complete bodies can be had for around £100, as this is our main car and it needed to be back on the road as soon as possible I did a local search and found a Pierburg (good brand in my estimation) in stock at my local Euro car parts for £204.99, a bit more than I really wanted to pay, but a good make and most importantly I could get it today and fit it today.

The new body is now fitted and its started first crank.

I still need to go for a test drive to be 100% sure that this was the only fault, fingers crossed.

Thank you Timbo for your accurate suggestion.

Post #407700 13th May 2021 5:51 pm
Timbo_1975

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey

Pierberg is the OE fitment for the throttle body, and £205 is pretty good if its a genuine pierberg unit. £295 at dealer.

Glad you got it sorted simply & quickly.

EGR should be blanked off anyway !

Post #407702 13th May 2021 6:28 pm
Dazoelry

Now test driven and performed perfectly.

Felt incredibly smooth, powerful and quiet - compared to the Series II !!!!!

Post #407713 13th May 2021 10:10 pm
Dazoelry

One final note:

When "switching off" the engine it now seems to stop quicker with the new throttle, whilst it didn't "run on" much before it definitely now stops quicker.

Post #407742 14th May 2021 3:59 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Glad to here you have it fixed. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #407746 14th May 2021 4:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1