Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Still Having Starting Issues.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi bomeo

Throttle body closes on shut down, once the engine has stopped it opens again.
I checked mine after cleaning it. Before putting it back on the inlet manifold I plugged it in to see what happens. No power and the butterfly is open, ignition on (engine not started) butterfly still open, ignition off and the butterfly closes then reopens. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #406757 18th Apr 2021 11:01 am
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello gasman, Iv been reading all your woes again from start to present, and wondered about the turbo having circuit or high, what does that mean? Mechanical or electrical?

Does the engine now spin faster on cranking but still the delayed start?

You say both cam and crank sensors have been replaced are they a genuine part?

Mine flagged an issue with air mass high circuit, cleared the fault not returned but I do agree the engine spins faster on cranking and starts without labouring the starter.

Reading other members woes some talk about the relucter ring if that’s what it’s called on the crank pulley. Not sure if your ever going to cure yours.

Sorry

Rgds Davyboy/ DaveP.

Post #406773 18th Apr 2021 5:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gasman

Hi davyboy

Turbo issue appears to be sorted, that was carbon build up on the variable geometry ring.

Cam and crank sensors were changed. Crank sensor is working as when you spin the engine over it is showing rpm on the rev counter and on the scan tool.
Not so sure of the cam sensor. Just found out that the genuine one is made by Fibi Bilstein. The one I fitted was an Intermotor sensor so not sure of quality. A Fibi Bilstein one in a Landrover box is £87. The actual sensor is £19.70 ! I have been struggling to find a Fibi sensor, so I have just ordered a Bosch one, think it was £22.
From what I have been told by Alex, the camshaft sensor is crucial for engine start up as it informs the ECU when to fire the injectors. After start up the signal from the cam sensor is no longer required.

The new starter motor does sound a bit better but I don't think it is turning the engine any faster.
It is possible the injectors are not firing straight away as the fuel pressure builds up in the rail almost instantly.

Still have some air bubbles in the fuel line but I don't think they are a problem as once started the engine runs fine right up to the red line.

I'll see what happens when the new sensor arrives.

The only other issues the car has is the fans noit coming on, think that is a broken signal wire to the fan module, common issue apparently. The other issue is the stop start not working. Havent delved into that yet.
I would like it to start before I worry about the stop side. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #406774 18th Apr 2021 6:59 pm
tascusi

Italy 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Recently, my 2008 FL TD4 is also experiencing the same problems as described above. Difficulty starting and a little white smoke coming out of the muffler. I have already replaced the crankshaft speed sensor with a new one, brand NGK, but the problem remained. These days, I try to make a diagnosis to check which codes are returned to me by the ECU. In any case, the next step I will try to replace the camshaft sensor. However, no warning lights come on in the dashboard and when the car is in motion, no defects are felt.

Post #406785 19th Apr 2021 8:30 am
gasman

Hi tascusi

Same here, no messages on the dash and no related fault codes. Once running it's fine.

I'll post what happens when the new cam sensor arrives. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #406792 19th Apr 2021 11:11 am
tascusi

The FL when in motion is fine. I also recently cleaned the injectors and the FL is fantastic. However, he had the same problem during ignition even before cleaning the injectors. Therefore, I can deduce that the difficulty in ignition does not depend on the cleaning operation of the injectors.

Post #406836 21st Apr 2021 6:41 am
gasman

Hi tascusi
Sorry for the late reply but I appreciate the input.
Still trying to fix the issue. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407045 25th Apr 2021 6:55 pm
tascusi

Thumbs Up

Post #407077 27th Apr 2021 6:02 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123