« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > I detest rule breakers . . .NO Tax NO MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Mmmm gig drivers.

I went to KFC last night and was shocked at the number of delivery drivers that were coming and going. I have probably only been to KFC half a dozen times in my life and it's certainly a few years since I was last there. Maybe 10 customers but more than two dozen delivery drivers from Ubereats, Deliveroo, just eat. I wonder how many have insurance that covers them for business use?

That for me is a much bigger rub. When we had the FL2, as a guy in his 50s with a clean license, and 10 years no claims I would have thought insurance would have been £200 - £250, rather than the £900+ that I was paying for business use - the DS is only £710. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #406643 15th Apr 2021 9:55 am
Dartman the one

England 

If using for business user delivery then the insurance will pay all 3rd party claims but not to either the insured vehicle or person, business use usually has a sliding scale depending on mileage and value of carried goods, the mileage may be high but take aways won't break the bank Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #406646 15th Apr 2021 10:42 am
Donald

United Kingdom 

What also gets me is a car that has been dumped. The council say they don't know the owner. Duh surely the last owner is the registered person. Even if he/she sold it did he/she not get the new owners address and if not is that not an offence in its self? Making him or her responsible.

Post #406669 15th Apr 2021 6:07 pm
Dartman the one

England 

With a cash sale the information given to to the vendor may be false, how many vendors ask for proof of name or address let alone whether they have insurance. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #406679 16th Apr 2021 8:31 am
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Donald wrote:
What also gets me is a car that has been dumped. The council say they don't know the owner. Duh surely the last owner is the registered person. Even if he/she sold it did he/she not get the new owners address and if not is that not an offence in its self? Making him or her responsible.

I worked at Birmingham City Council back in the early 2000's until 2006 and back then I used to log abandoned vehicles as part of my job.
The process was very long winded, 28 days minimum IIRC, before removal was even considered. A 7 day notice of removal was placed on the car. If nobody came forward to claim it within the 7 day, then DVLA were contacted . They would contact the last registered keeper - who could have sold the vehicle many years before, as was very often the case. In cases like this, who is going to keep the details of the buyer ? Even if you did keep a record of the buyer at the time of the sale, would you keep that information for years ?
There were always exceptions to the rule. If a vehicle was obviously damaged beyond repair, burnt out, or stripped. Removal in these cases was within a couple of days.
Not all cars were beat up old knackers either - we once had a Porsche 911 that was never claimed ! Only thing wrong with it was a broken headlight.
Also, there's nothing to stop ANYBODY from laying claim to a vehicle if nobody comes forward within the 28 days.I had an old boy report a Vauxhall Nova to me. He claimed it was in very good condition and even had new tyres. The Notice was placed on the car , but nobody came forward to claim it. The old boy phoned up close to the end of the 28 day period and asked if he could have the car as it was small and suited his needs. I gave him the contact details of the removal agents (in this case Taroni had the contract - as they were scrap metal merchants). Turned out they let him have the car for £50. He registered as the new owner and called me up to thank me. Despite the car being old, it was low mileage and sailed through it's MOT!
There was also the case of the Saracen Armoured Car. A guy had spent years restoring it . Then one day it had disappeared from the road outside his house. He reported it stolen to Police, who notified him it had been reported as being abandoned as it had been on the same stretch of road for weeks without any tax (Well it wouldn't have tax - being tax exempt). It was traced to Taroni's who had claimed it had already been crushed ! An ARMOURED CAR !! Nothing remained of it, apparently - no metal, no wheel or tyres - NOTHING ! And all within days of the supposed abandonment notice going on the vehicle. The owner wanted to see proof the Saracen had been crushed, but Taroni's couldn't show him evidence. He also wanted proof that the notice had been placed on the vehicle (it gets photographed to prove it had been served, rather like a parking ticket) , but again, no picture was forthcoming. They claimed that even though it was "tax exempt" it still needed to display a disc. The owner provided recent pictures showing the disc clearly on display, in a holder they used for motorcycles, as the Saracen has no window to display it in.
Long story short, as there's a lot more to this, BCC ended up in court and had to fork out £26,000. They never did find out the true fate of the Saracen. And IIRC, Taroni lost the Abandoned Vehicle contract soon afterwards.

Post #406703 17th Apr 2021 10:45 am
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Where I grew up in West London abandoned cars were never around long enough to cause any bother, Scrap car = Cash = Totter with a Hiab lorry, Sorted Thumbs Up

Post #406713 17th Apr 2021 3:39 pm
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

UPDATE on original post, as suggested, i contacted the council regarding this taxi a few weeks ago, a slight result perhaps, the car ended up getting taxed . . . .
this week I actually phoned the police and said about the taxi driving round still without an MOT, he took the details as they do, and of course suggested I ring them when I next see it on the road even thought I told him it did the school run twice a day.

My thought is just wait for him and nab him, there is a suggestion that the fine for no MOT is £1000, just go to his house after school run and see if the bonnet is warm . . . .where as 5 police cars and a chopper can race for miles after some nugget and then only fine them £85 . . . . . Censored Censored 2017 SEAT Ateca 4drive 2.0 xcellence (May 2022 -
2007 HSE with HST bodykit in Zermatt Silver 169,700 miles (dec 2016 - May 2022 )
2007 Honda Civic Type S GT (2012-2017)
2002 Mini Cooper S (2008-2012)
1992 Honda Legend 3.2i (2003-2008)
1990 Honda Concerto (1999-2003)
1985 Honda Accord (1997-1999)
1983 Honda Accord (1993-1997)
1983 Mini Mayfair (1988-1993)
1974 Mini 1000 (1979-1986)

Post #408296 26th May 2021 5:26 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

He shouldn`t have been able to tax it without a valid mot! Shocked

Post #408297 26th May 2021 6:29 am
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

Quote:
Also, there's nothing to stop ANYBODY from laying claim to a vehicle if nobody comes forward within the 28 days.

Spot on as been in a similar position myself.
I spotted an abandoned Fiat 126 on the exit to services from the M4 years ago that the owners had clearly dumped - long story short but my brother ended up claiming it as he had a thing for those little Fiats at the time.

Once we got the car was clear why it was left, tried putting water into the coolant system (it was a BIS for those in the know so not air cooled) and it poured back out the the spark plug hole! - guess owner realized it was overheating and tried to get off the M4 but to late. Andrew

Post #408298 26th May 2021 7:12 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Northcroft wrote:
UPDATE on original post, as suggested, i contacted the council regarding this taxi a few weeks ago, a slight result perhaps, the car ended up getting taxed . . . .
this week I actually phoned the police and said about the taxi driving round still without an MOT, he took the details as they do, and of course suggested I ring them when I next see it on the road even thought I told him it did the school run twice a day.

My thought is just wait for him and nab him, there is a suggestion that the fine for no MOT is £1000, just go to his house after school run and see if the bonnet is warm . . . .where as 5 police cars and a chopper can race for miles after some nugget and then only fine them £85 . . . . . Censored Censored

Didn’t you notice a handgun on the back seat? Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #408303 26th May 2021 11:27 am
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Taxi still going round, no MOT since 12TH DECEMBER 2021 . . . . . . 13 months now !!

I got sick of calling the Police, all they say is he is on their radar, what a feckless bunch they are.

The ridiculous thing is if he got an MOT tomorrow that would be it, sorted, no penalty for missing which there should be, somehow.
 2017 SEAT Ateca 4drive 2.0 xcellence (May 2022 -
2007 HSE with HST bodykit in Zermatt Silver 169,700 miles (dec 2016 - May 2022 )
2007 Honda Civic Type S GT (2012-2017)
2002 Mini Cooper S (2008-2012)
1992 Honda Legend 3.2i (2003-2008)
1990 Honda Concerto (1999-2003)
1985 Honda Accord (1997-1999)
1983 Honda Accord (1993-1997)
1983 Mini Mayfair (1988-1993)
1974 Mini 1000 (1979-1986)

Post #417041 13th Jan 2022 5:15 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Do Durham operate a "certificate of compliance" policy for taxis?

Some authorities do this instead of MOTs, some as well as MOTs and some do a bit of both. It's not uncommon for it to be a complete mish-mash of cars that have an MOT (which is registered on the publicly accessible website), cars with a certificate of compliance, and some with both. If they just have the certificate of compliance they will be able to get the car taxed, but there won't be an MOT on the website for you to check. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #417051 13th Jan 2022 7:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12