Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Expensive quote for timing belt replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

You don’t want to risk the belt breaking. If you think the cost of changing the belt is eye watering, the cost of dealing with the aftermath of a broken cam belt could well scrap the car Big Cry

Post #404590 27th Feb 2021 11:40 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

realistically you shouldn't begrudge servicing a vehicle, the real term is preventative maintenance - no one likes unexpected bills or breakdowns.

We were warned in advance that x should be changed in so many miles or after so long, we know how old the car is and how many miles it has done, so why a surprise? Yes the wide range of cost for exactly the same work is frustrating.

Spoken like a guy who served his time as a maintenance engineer, and has seen the result of not doing it all his working life. "just stretch the maintenance interval" is generally a prelude to disaster. Then again spending a couple of hours changing oil and fiddling under the car (according to the Mrs) is a pleasant way of avoiding going shopping. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #404591 27th Feb 2021 11:45 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

If you can find a Land Rover dealer still running the fixed price 3 year plus scheme they should charge £395 for the cam belt replacement (not inc the water pump).

Click image to enlarge

Post #404604 27th Feb 2021 9:26 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

@DennisV where did you find that chart of 3+ servicing offers ? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #404612 28th Feb 2021 1:04 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

BossBob wrote:
You don’t want to risk the belt breaking. If you think the cost of changing the belt is eye watering, the cost of dealing with the aftermath of a broken cam belt could well scrap the car Big Cry

Oh sure. I have no problem in following JLR's revised guidance on changing the belt at 7 years - its just that when I've done cambelts in the past it was at a higher mileage or longer duration - though I'll admit its been a while since Ive had a vehicle long enough to require it.

Out of interest what does BMW and VAG currently recommend for their diesel cambelt changes ?

Or for that matter in the other cars that use the same PSA engine. Jules

Post #404613 28th Feb 2021 1:55 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

I think I must have downloaded the attached service price list from the Land Rover site in 2018 or 2019 following an email from them publicising the scheme?

Up until 2020 my LR Main Dealer honoured the 3+ scheme and I had the cam belt changed, as well as brake discs and pads and servicing for the fixed prices shown

However, when booking this years service in January I was told that Land Rover no longer supports the 3+ scheme and I ended up paying £50 more than listed.

But several LR main dealers still seem to reference the scheme on their websites, so you may strike lucky and find one that is offering the fixed prices even without LR official support?

Post #404628 28th Feb 2021 9:50 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Post #404629 28th Feb 2021 9:51 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Well it looks like Yeovil LR are doing the service for the service for £275 3+ price but like most dealers have removed the rest of the price list from their website. They are giving me a courtesy car for the day as I am not allowed to hang around their showroom. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #404630 28th Feb 2021 10:06 am
AmaraJohn

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just had my FL2 MY2011 serviced by Hoddens in Stoke on Trent. MOT, timing belt with water pump + auxiliary belt, full ten year service as per LR including engine oil, all filters with cabin filter, Haldex oil change with filter and transfer box oil change. They also replaced an anti roll bar link. All in price £850. Can't complain.

Post #404814 4th Mar 2021 12:42 pm
Kage

Can’t complain at all at that price. Thumbs Up

Post #404825 4th Mar 2021 4:48 pm
mmik

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Andy131 wrote:
Timing chain kit on the other hand is £258 plus £65 for the tools to do the job!! - and that's next year

What tools are needed? I know it isn’t always 100%, but the Haynes manual reckons you can use 2 x 8mm drilll bits in lieu of LR tools 303-1270 and 303-1277 to lock the crankshaft and exhaust camshaft. It doesn’t mention any other special tools.

Post #404926 7th Mar 2021 11:01 am
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

I've got a set of locking pin/flywheel tools that anyone can borrow (for the price of the postage) if they want?

I did the cambelt/waterpump change myself last year (March) after much research, YouTube & looking on here etc. After a bit of trepidation I took the plunge, I was quite surprised how straightforward the whole job is & pleasantly satisfied that the job was done correctly plus saving myself about £500.

If anyone is interested in the genuine offer to borrow the tools please PM me to arrange.

Cheers
Brian Cool

Post #404927 7th Mar 2021 11:12 am
Badger51

Australia 

mmik wrote:
Andy131 wrote:
Timing chain kit on the other hand is £258 plus £65 for the tools to do the job!! - and that's next year

What tools are needed? I know it isn’t always 100%, but the Haynes manual reckons you can use 2 x 8mm drilll bits in lieu of LR tools 303-1270 and 303-1277 to lock the crankshaft and exhaust camshaft. It doesn’t mention any other special tools.

You haven’t read the Haynes manual properly in that case! The flywheel locking tool is required so as to be able to slacken/torque the crankshaft pulley bolt. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #404930 7th Mar 2021 11:30 am
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

I would suggest that the pins for the flywheel and can sprocket are timing locating pins, and would not rely on them to lock the engine, without the use of a flywheel locking tool which meshes in the teeth of the flywheel ring gear. The crank shaft pully bolt is in pretty tight. When I did mine, the flywheel locking tool I had bought broke whilst tightening the flywheel Lilly bolt on reassembly. There was a flaw in the casting, and it was cheap Chinese rubbish. I removed the timing pins and had the other half standing on the brakes in gear to torque it up. I fear you could damage the alloy casings \ cam pully and or bend the pins if you do not use a flywheel locking tool. Just my 2p's worth.

Post #404934 7th Mar 2021 11:37 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Is the flywheel locking tool generic or specific to Freelander 2? My concern is if it's specific then perhaps Indys would not have the kit . MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #404938 7th Mar 2021 12:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>