« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Learning Gearbox?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kiwiNCFC

United Kingdom 
Learning Gearbox?

I have a 07 FL2 and have only owned for about 3 months. A few weeks ago I 'reset' the auto gearbox learn data by pressing the accelerator down on ignition for 30 seconds etc that I read on here. I wanted to do it because the gearbox would have been suited to the previous owner and I wanted it to learn with my style of driving.

Since doing this I've noticed my fuel consumption on the computer has gone down to the low 30s and the auto box is now holding on too long to gearchanges. I drive quite slowly and I don't race around so I'm surprised the box is holding on to the gears too long when before it was changing quite early.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Or have done this themselves?[/s]

Post #399785 12th Nov 2020 8:01 am
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I'm happy to be corrected but I thought that it was a bit of a myth that the transmission could be reset in this way. Probably more to do with accelerator position sensor if anything. Certainly the correct adaptation process is far more complex and requires hooking up to the correct diagnostic tool followed by a series of specific driving procedures.

I should add that I would love to know more about it. How quickly does it adapt to different drivers etc?

Post #399787 12th Nov 2020 8:57 am
3landertwo

I have a manual gearbox, so not sure on automatics.

BUT on my Freelander 1 it had an 'Adaptive driving learning mode'.
I would always reset this after my wife previously drove the car, as if I didn't, it was a very different car to drive.

Not sure if that helps you ?

edit ; found this thread.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7264.htm...e+learning

Post #399788 12th Nov 2020 9:01 am
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I think that reset procedure is for the throttle body and not the gearbox.

Post #399790 12th Nov 2020 9:33 am
alex_pescaru

The relearning process is a time consuming one, as the temperatures of the engine and gearbox must be over a certain temperature, hardly reached during day to day driving cycles.
You may accelerate the relearning process, at least regarding solenoids / RPM changing points, by following the below procedure:
0. Choose a long portion of road, without traffic for the following procedure.
1. Warm up ATF to minimum of 66°C (151°F) and maximum of 110C (230°F).
2. Drive 25-35% throttle to obtain 6th gear and hold there a few seconds. This mean about 110 KPH (70 MPH).
3. Then coast to a stop within a minimum of 60 seconds, in other words let the car stop without touching the brakes in an interval greater than 60 seconds.
4. Repeat from 2, 10 times.

Post #399793 12th Nov 2020 10:19 am
itsaguything

Canada 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Auto Firenze Red

I think we are talking about 2 different things here.
The TCU does learn driving habits. But you can only reset a TCU with management software.
Throttle management is learned and maintained at ECU, I was under the impression that a system reset had to be done to reset this... including disconnect battery. Guy Pensa
Cars with Personalities
Getting itchy. What's next?
2014 Land Rover HSE Lux (blend of practicality and aggressiveness)
2007 XKR (Jaguar Racing Green) (woo hoo!)
2004 XJR (Jaguar Racing Green) (deceased)
2002 S-Type R (British Racing Green, of course)
1951 Riley RMD (Black, time for that restoration)

Post #400008 16th Nov 2020 7:04 pm
alex_pescaru

Yep, indeed, there are three things that can be reset on the box fuzzy logic:
1. Solenoid adaptions data.
2. Oil degradation data.
3. Driver style data.

What I've suggested in the previous message, although is for solenoid adaption (1), the process is long enough for the driver style (3) to be brought back to default.
Remember, a minimum of 10 cycles...

And the solenoid adaptions to able to be reset only with the management software is somehow a mith, because the wear and tear on the box and its solenoids is a continuous process and the solenoids are also continuously adapting, like the driving style. Only that, like I've said, the solenoid learning it's a more lengthy process with much more conditions to be met than the driver style learning.

From the above three, only the oil degradation is the sole thing that can only be done with the management software.
The other two, if you are patient enough and with fresh enough oil in the box, it will solve by itself. Very Happy

Post #400016 16th Nov 2020 8:02 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A technical question out of leftwing, or rather the rear.

Does the gearbox learn & change gears or adjust any other features or not use overdrive if a caravan is being towed? Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #400031 17th Nov 2020 9:51 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

3landertwo wrote:

BUT on my Freelander 1 it had an 'Adaptive driving learning mode'.

Yes I had an auto FL1. I live in a village at the bottom of a long hill. I noticed that the FL1 behaved totally differently coming down that hill (in terms of engine braking etc) depending upon my driving style over the previous few miles. My FL2 doesn't seem to react this way. However, my wife's Suzuki Swift (6 speed auto with a torque convertor) does seem to exhibit some of these "recent driving style" characteristics on the same hill. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #400033 17th Nov 2020 10:09 am
alex_pescaru

Lightwater wrote:
Does the gearbox learn & change gears or adjust any other features or not use overdrive if a caravan is being towed?

The box "advertising" is naming this mode "uphill/trailer".
Although there is no specific "map" for towing or/and a caravan is attached, the gearbox is heavily relying on the information received from the engine module, especially the torque generation reported by the ECM. Based on that, it will adjust the changing points, the speed of changing and the amount of TCC slipping.

Post #400044 17th Nov 2020 1:41 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Thank you.

I don't have a towbar, but out of interest I thought the car may take onboard, that here is "something plugged in & behind the car", that then the car is more aware of a trailer than the typical driver!

Sorry, couldn't help being sarcastic!

I can't say I have ever noticed the gearbox operating differently from gental outback driving across the Nullarbor to off-road for a lot of working the engine, & simply leaving the car in its standard driving mode.

Maybe the car is subtly adjusting the driver learning settings.

About the only thing I purposely do across the Nullarbor is get the car up to 100 kph & drop back to about 95kph so it is in 6th gear. It will stay in 6th down to about 87 kph if on a level road (petrol engine).

But after a 1000 km of this style of driving, then driving around the built up areas with a heavy right foot the car changes gears as the right foot requires it!

On the Nullarbor I can clearly hear that the transmission has locked up so it is not "slipping", making it more efficient. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #400062 17th Nov 2020 7:25 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My auto seem to hang on to lower gears for longer than normal under 2 conditions.

For the first few miles after its first cold start on cold and frosty mornings - I think this is to help recharge battery.

In 'Drive' on any downhill slope, after I have used the gearbox command mode on a steep downhill road (engine braking), until the road levels out.

Other than that I hardly notice the autobox working, that is except when sometimes it has other ideas about which gear I am allowed to select in 'Command' mode.

To partly get over the slow gear selection when trying to move rapidly from stopped, I find that anticipating the move, but pausing between releasing the brake and applying the accelerator, seems to give a more controlled step off. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #400068 18th Nov 2020 9:27 am
Pejo

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Interesting as I'm finding our car can change down a bit abruptly at times Usually coming to an intersection slowly braking

It might be learning our driving style from previous owner Wink

Or maybe an oil change is required? Neutral

Post #402319 7th Jan 2021 2:00 pm
alex_pescaru

Let's hope it's not too late for some components... Usually, such behavior is when the valve block, meaning one or more of its solenoids are on their way out.
Change the oil, but only a partial change. Meaning, drop as much as it flows out through the bottom plug and then add back the same amount.
You'll change this way about half of the total oil.

Post #402322 7th Jan 2021 2:10 pm
Pejo

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:
Let's hope it's not too late for some components... Usually, such behavior is when the valve block, meaning one or more of its solenoids are on their way out.
Change the oil, but only a partial change. Meaning, drop as much as it flows out through the bottom plug and then add back the same amount.
You'll change this way about half of the total oil.

Alex which is the correct oil for the auto transmission?
Thumbs Up

Post #402479 10th Jan 2021 11:58 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>