« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2013 FL2 SD4 - Noise accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vin73

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black
2013 FL2 SD4 - Noise accelerating

Hello all, I've found my way to this site and forum by trying to troubleshoot an issue with our FL2 SD4.

We have a FL2 SD4 2013 with just over 49,000 miles on it, FSH (maindealer) until we bought last spring (2019) and I've done the oil changes myself on it since.

I've searched the forums and google'd for this problem which came out of nowhere this morning. The car has been perfect since we bought it and a great vehicle to own so far.

Went to drive it Saturday morning, I always let it run 1-2 mins before driving off from start, always drive gently for 7-10 mins until warmed up. Then its only driven normally.

Accelerating gently this morning, within 500 yds of the house, 1500-2000 rpm and above, a scraping type noise coming from the front, seemingly in the engine bay behind the centre console, though hard to pinpoint. Me in the driver seat said left, passenger seat occupant said coming from right.

Stopped immediately, had a good look for any debris or anything obvious, nothing. Turned around and drove it straight home, 500-600 yds.

- No unexpected noise with slight acceleration 1000-1500rpm.
- bit of pressure on accelerator to increase speed, noise increases to a consistent level as in the video.
- sounds "metallic" like scraping but could be "whooshing".
- noise stops and no unexpected noise when back on the drive and just revving the engine to 2500-3000 rpm.
- No noise when attempting a quick short reverse to build rpm.
- Only noise when moving forward.

Seen the posts which would point possibly to a split hose, about to go and give them as much of a good look as I can. But it didnt sound like air gushing, though its hard to say for sure.

Could it be / likely be transmission, prop or diff? It wasnt a heavy metallic clunking sound, more so a constant scrape.

Break discs and guards all look fine. Nothing obvious, can is in daily use apart from the last 1.5 weeks where it has sat due to being off work.

Test driven it another 200 yds up the road, very slowly and gently, sound is only when moving forward. It sounds like someone trying to badly play a trumpet, but metallic sounding for sure. Like something is rubbing against metal as another part rotates. Youtube link is a recording of the sound.

The noise momentarily stops when lifting off the accelerator when the vehicle is in forward motion.
The noise continues/happens under braking.
There was zero hint of any noise or issues in anyway before this morning. Nothing building up, no humming, whirring nothing in advance of this.

When reversing, the noise doesn't happen. It seems to be a moving part, not air. Also, when driving very slowly and foot lightly on the brake, that seemed (and i cant be sure) to make the sound until the vehicle stops and the sound stops, though on 2 occasions, continued momentarily, for maybe 0.5 - 1 second, its almost like its a spinning moving part rubbing.

Ive put it up on ramps, taken the pan off and had a good a look as possible at hoses, none appear to have a split. The one on the turbo, the elbow unit looked a little bulged at the joints, but nothing of concern. The intercooler downpipe had a bit of oil dripping from the lowest point, where the plastic pipe joins the flexible pipe.

The driveshafts, I noticed the left hand side shaft (at the point most central where it comes out the transmission I think) did not have a rubber boot on it and had some mild'ish surface rust.

Any advice / pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Vin

Post #398154 11th Oct 2020 10:55 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Stone trapped in caliper rubbing on discs ? But are you saying that a front CV joint has lost its gaiter? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #398157 11th Oct 2020 1:00 pm
Vin73

Thanks for response. I checked that as much as I could and couldnt rule it out. But, the problem is now sorted. I took it for runs again this morning to try pinpoint the noise, which sounded central behind the console, not from the wheels. The sound got rapidly worse, then rapidly better. Scraping type noise, couple of crunches and a rattle that seemed to move along the exhaust, and then the noise completely went. Oddly just prior to that it sounded increasingly like something rubbing against something rotating, but then almost like it was internal in the exhaust. We couldnt see that anything broke off but something moved. Took it for a 10 min drive and back to normal.

Took a couple of sound recordings prior to that links below. Not sure if you can tell from the recordings, but didnt sound to be internal workings of the engine or transmission, though I could not be sure as Im no mechanic. But right now, all good again Smile

The bottom one at about 30 seconds is as bad as it sounded.

Last edited by Vin73 on 11th Oct 2020 3:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #398161 11th Oct 2020 2:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just thinking about your comment about the missing gaiter, is it possible that you heard it breaking up and then coming off? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #398162 11th Oct 2020 2:59 pm
Vin73

Sorry yes, regarding the gaiter, I think that was incorrect observation made by me, its on there, I rechecked this morning.

Post #398163 11th Oct 2020 3:11 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Bit of Catalytic Converter ? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #398164 11th Oct 2020 3:28 pm
Vin73

Quite possible. Only thing that makes that a bit odd, is that when accelerating it sounded like something grinding on a moving part. but yes, quite likely something in the cat detached

Post #398167 11th Oct 2020 4:52 pm
Bobbster

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Mauritius Blue

Could it of been the heatshield a the rear of the car most detach themselves

Post #398761 22nd Oct 2020 8:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1