« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Fitting an Android head unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
djburns

France 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

djburns wrote:
Hello, Been trying to fit this unit having seen the video. PA70DLRL. I have a Freelander 2 S with just the cubby hole. All connections seem to go together everything seemed to slot back in nicely but press on button on original radio-nothing. So back through to check connections etc, seems ok still nothing. Checked radio fuse (N0 6? under glove box. OK. So disconnected every thing put back to original, turn on radio and nothing! so everything else on central console fine just radio not working Any ideas? other fuses? Specific fault codes to look for? Cheers

Ok, have since found a 10amp fuse blown in the box in the boot. So I now have just the clock screen but can't get anything else going. The two MOST connectors between the face and the CD/head unit seem OK, I can see the light come on in the unit and it appears on the cable but goes out after 10 secs or so. Take the wiring plug out and put it back then light comes on again. Have I fried something in the head unit? Any ideas? Cheers

Post #395955 22nd Aug 2020 12:01 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Can't help with fried head unit I'm afraid, checking the fuses is about my limit too.

Was going to ask if anyone who has fitted one of the Xtrons units has found any steering wheel control adapters that work with the unit. It's the one missing function which would be amazing and perfect for me.

Cheers. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #395967 22nd Aug 2020 3:52 pm
djburns

France 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Embarassed Original head unit all fine. Been through all the fuses again and discovered I had put one of the (many) radio fuses back one slot to the left. This is all in the box in the boot. So I might try to reconnect the xtrons with extreme care.....

Post #395968 22nd Aug 2020 4:58 pm
Andy.p

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Sumatra Black

I have just got the Xtrons PQ70DLRL unit with android 10 and it's meant to have the control box to allow steering wheel control apart from track select. In other words the top and middle buttons on the right side of wheel will work but not the bottom one. Hope that helps, will see if its correct when I get round to fitting it Rolling with laughter Discovery 3 tdv6 gone
Freelander 2 LE sport SD4 facelift gone
mitsubishi outlander phev

Post #412184 11th Sep 2021 8:43 am
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I can’t see how the Xtrons unit would in any way affect the operation of Mode, Volume and Track select since these are functions of the LR head unit. Mode and Volume will surely continue to work, but Track select obviously won’t.

It will be interesting to hear how your install goes.

Post #412432 18th Sep 2021 10:09 pm
Andy.p

As my last post said the only button on steering wheel that does not work is the track select I can confirm that. the install was fairly straight forward ,but getting it all to work was a bit of a pain in the Censored getting the carplay to work involved scanning the QR code on the box and downloading the app to my phone then emailing myself then connecting my home wifi to the car (this only works if you can get close to the house) otherwise you need a genuine Apple lightning lead which works to load the app onto the xtrons via your "hotspot" on the Iphone and then you can set the carplay up. also added the TPMS from xtrons but this would not link to the unit, had to contact the seller who sent me a link to an older version for TPMS and that worked fine. The DAB+ add on worked striaght out of the box. I did think the Iphone 12 pro was not compatable with the system but turns out the old Apple lead to my car kit had a bad connection Rolling with laughter plugged in a new lighting lead and Thumbs Up all works fine now. The only thing was a lack of install instructions not for the unit thats quite straight forward and you get two harness options in the box depending on your set up in the car (with or without Alpine system) but for the add on's like carplay TPMS OBD2 DAB+ wifi etc etc, but as I said a few emails to the surplier and a few link downloads everything is now working as it should. Overall good upgrade with a lot of good stuff, and took about 3 hours from start to finish to install not including all the faff getting the carplay to work (but that was down to a doggy lead my fault). PS if anyone is going to do this on their car dont bother with the speaker that comes with the unit, use it for an external speaker for a phone kit or CB radio instead. Plus you dont need to plug the unit into the AUX socket in back of the car either as some people on youtube have mentioned on the Andriod 10 unit I have! BIG UPDATE dont forget to order a shunt for the fibre optic cable that is not used from the old info screen you replace with the xtrons unit or it wont work!!! The powerful video shows one in the box but it does not come in the box you have to get your own!!! If you dont have the LR screen you dont need the fibre optic shunt!! Discovery 3 tdv6 gone

Last edited by Andy.p on 19th Sep 2021 9:03 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #412437 19th Sep 2021 8:40 am
Simon J

Thanks for the update, Andy. I assume that if you don’t have an existing LR screen then the MOST shunt isn’t needed?

Post #412438 19th Sep 2021 8:53 am
Andy.p

Hi Simon, I think that would be the case if you dont have the MOST system you wont need the shunt Thumbs Up Discovery 3 tdv6 gone

Post #412439 19th Sep 2021 8:57 am
Simon J

Thanks, Andy. I think there is a MOST system as I’m pretty sure that when I replaced the Bluetooth module it had a MOST connection, but with no original screen I wouldn’t expect to need the shunt. I’m still debating whether to splash the three hundred quid Very Happy

Post #412440 19th Sep 2021 9:02 am
Andy.p

The best thing is you dont need to use LR bluetooth and you get the bonus of using things like Waze or Tom Tom direct from the phone and mirror your downloaded movies to watch (not when driving) on the screen if you get the add on mic too you can go hands free via the Xtrons unit. so if you got a basic FL2 with no infotainment this unit is a massive upgrade. Discovery 3 tdv6 gone

Post #412441 19th Sep 2021 9:09 am
Simon J

I quite like the LR Bluetooth phone connection with the steering wheel controls for answer and hang up. I assume that you can continue to use it while still using Car Play for music or navigation? I have the Alpine system which I find very good for what it is, but would like the addition of Car Play.

Post #412442 19th Sep 2021 9:15 am
Andy.p

Sorry about the pics being the wrong way up but you get the idea. Rolling with laughter Not suire way they came out this way. in Pic 2 thats the GPS in front of the LR one and the wifi antenna on the centre speaker behind the CB radio.

[/img] Discovery 3 tdv6 gone

Post #412443 19th Sep 2021 9:49 am
Simon J

Many thanks, Andy. That’s the same Alpine unit that I have. It really is a neat piece of kit. Hmmm…… Very Happy

Post #412444 19th Sep 2021 9:52 am
Andy.p

Dam it just noticed the screen has gone back to standard because I disconnected the battery yesterday, I had Waze and instead of siri logo had the Land rover logo on the home screen will have to reset but you get the jist of what to expect. Discovery 3 tdv6 gone

Post #412445 19th Sep 2021 9:54 am
Simon J

Thumbs Up Thanks again.

Post #412452 19th Sep 2021 11:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>