Home > Wheels & Tyres > All Season tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Lakelander wrote:
any views on Pirelli Scorpion?
mine is fitted with Scorpion Zero at the moment and they seem fine, but will need changing before winter. i want to go All season . the new Land Rover Discovery Sports are fitted with Scorpion Verde all season and so i thought these would be OK ?

The Pirelli Scorpion zero’s were factory fit on new Freelander 2’s in my opinion a fantastic tyre for grip especially during winter months but don’t except high miles.

Post #393728 4th Jul 2020 5:35 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

In 2015, I selected 4 new Conti Cross Contacts as per the original factory spec in 2012. Superb tyres did 39,500, half of which was in Europe across motorways and mountains, as well as pootleing about in Surrey. They were swapped with still 4mm tread remaining as I was proposing a snowy switzerland and italy trip at easter 2019. I replaced with Pirelli Verde all-season and I have just had a MOT warning that the treads are getting low, after ONLY 15,500miles!

Post #395218 8th Aug 2020 11:04 am
Mowog

I just love my continental all season contacts Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #395219 8th Aug 2020 11:25 am
riverblanche

England 

Paul4751 wrote:
Pirelli Verde all-season low, after ONLY 15,500miles!

Hi,

big fan of All Season tyres or switching summers and Full winters our FL2 is still on the tyres it came with but may change them early for this winter Question

we had the Pirelli's on our RRS and they still had 4-5mm left after 30k would have hoped for the same or better on a FL2 Shocked

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #395294 10th Aug 2020 12:07 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Jack frost wrote:
Lakelander wrote:
any views on Pirelli Scorpion?
mine is fitted with Scorpion Zero at the moment and they seem fine, but will need changing before winter. i want to go All season . the new Land Rover Discovery Sports are fitted with Scorpion Verde all season and so i thought these would be OK ?

The Pirelli Scorpion zero’s were factory fit on new Freelander 2’s in my opinion a fantastic tyre for grip especially during winter months but don’t except high miles.

Finally made my choice , later than planned due to low lockdown mileage. Have gone for Pirelli Zero All Seasons at £112 each fully fitted from E Tyres. Confusing between Pirelli Scorpion Zero, Zero All Season, Verde and Verde All Season, difficult to get any authoritative info on the differences. Car currently fitted with Scorpion Zero but as I live in a wet and often cold area I went Zero All Season, and also because they had the better ratings , B economy, B wet performance and 69 noise. Zeros are D economy, B wet and 71 noise. Verde seem to major on economy which is not priority for me as I do low mileage.
We'll see how they do , bit concerned about snow performance. Was tempted to go All Terrain but never take it off road and don't want extra noise.
Tyre choice very difficult and manufacturers don't help. Tyres are the only bit of your vehicle which is in contact with the road so in my opinion they are not the area to penny pinch of you don't have to. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #409334 24th Jun 2021 5:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Agreed Thumbs Up

Tyres and brakes are the 2 most important things on any vehicle for me 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #409348 24th Jun 2021 8:09 am
FreeL2_NW

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

As a prospective FL2 owner, the car (SE, 17" wheels) we will be getting is fitted with Goodyear Efficient Grips on the front with lots of thread depth and Goodyear Wranglers on the back with 2.5 - 3 mm depth.

I will be changing the rears in the next month or so but wondered what to go for. I like the idea of all seasons tyres (we have Vector4Seasons on wife's A6 Allroad and are happy with them), but don't want to replace all four tyres on the FL2.

So question is, should I replace the rears with Wranglers and then swap the wheels so they're on the front to even out wear?

Post #412036 6th Sep 2021 11:39 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Copy of previous post - I have had the Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres 235/55 R19 105V (Volvo, Extra Load, All Season) on for over a year and have been very pleased with them.

After 6 years and 50k miles I decided to fit some new tyres. MOT had signalled only 3+mm on 2 tyres and I had about 4+mm on the other two fitted, (and another damaged - see below in my garage)

The mileage was helped by using all 5 tyres that had been supplied in rotation, although one had to be retired early due to cut in wall. (I have a 6th wheel which I use as a spare)

As winter was coming on I decided on Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres 235/55 R19 105V (Volvo, Extra Load, All Season)
I chose these V rating as they had a very good record for wet grip, and reasonable noise and MPG figures.

In Somerset we have far more rain than snow in winter, and these tyres, with multiple groves and sipes in tread pattern, should shift the water on the road.

The price for 4 was £550(fitted, balanced, valves etc), which I thought was reasonable.

You can pay more for internal foam in these tyres to cut noise further, but I thought that these (standard) tyres were quieter on my run home, steering was certainly lighter and more direct.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36224.html

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic15313-1365.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #412038 6th Sep 2021 3:22 pm
riverblanche

England 

FreeL2_NW wrote:

So question is, should I replace the rears with Wranglers and then swap the wheels so they're on the front to even out wear?

from memory dont think the Wranglers are all season Exclamation

I would put a pair of 3sp winter rated tyres such as AT3's or Yokos on to replace the worn out wranglers and put that pair on the front and the Eff grips on the rear.

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #412045 6th Sep 2021 6:58 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

FreeL2_NW wrote:
I will be changing the rears in the next month or so but wondered what to go for. I like the idea of all seasons tyres (we have Vector4Seasons on wife's A6 Allroad and are happy with them), but don't want to replace all four tyres on the FL2.

I have recently fitted 19inch Goodyear Vector 4-Seasons SUV, all round on my Freelander 2.
The tyres are super quiet on all road surfaces.

You should replace all 4 tyres with the same type of tyre.

In other words, 4-summer, 4-winter, 4-all season, or 4-off road etc,
otherwise handling and braking will be affected.

Post #412048 6th Sep 2021 10:28 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Mentioned before - check out ATS. They do 10% discount for on line purchase plus a further £50 discount for Michelin tyres. Made fitting 4 x Cross Climates sensible money. Thumbs Up MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #412075 8th Sep 2021 8:10 am
FreeL2_NW

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

[quote="TooBlue"]

FreeL2_NW wrote:

You should replace all 4 tyres with the same type of tyre.

In other words, 4-summer, 4-winter, 4-all season, or 4-off road etc,
otherwise handling and braking will be affected.

Thanks for that.
I'll probably just replace the rears in that case as the fronts have plenty of tread left.

So what would be the recommendations for a summer tyre to pair with the front Efficient Grips, assuming I don't just go for a matching pair?

Post #412096 8th Sep 2021 2:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123