Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Options for upgrading basic GS equipment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Sorry but there is not much Depth at the top cubby hole as its not square. Rolling Eyes I did fit a tom tom start 60 and a Dab mototion behind it thougth Thumbs Up

Post #279087 22nd Oct 2015 6:24 am
mattie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I've not yet fixed how best to get bluetooth and satnav into the car, so interested to hear how others are getting on.

I've wavering towards a third party replacement head unit, I'd appreciate any recommendations for decent brands/units. I'm concerned it's not a great place for a satnav though, so would consider a separate device in cubbyhole.

Whilst I'm weighing it all up, I've been wondering whether I can add extra speakers to exploit the existing mount points on the dash. The basic radio has - as far as I follow- 6 speakers, driver and tweeter in each front door and a single speaker in each rear. The dash has panels for wide and centre speakers which the higher-spec radis would use. If I replace the radio would these additional speakers be easy to add, or would I need to worry about wiring, amplification etc? I appreciate the replacement radio - likely to be 3rd party as the LR upgrade requires a lot of wiring I don't have - would need to be able to manage these extra speakers, and (although I've not yet checked) I assume the grilles are empty and I'd need to source the speakers themselves. Also, does the premium radio system have a subwoofer? Might be a bit trickier to fit, as I'd expect it to sit somewhere at the back (hence more faff moving trim etc) and need separate amplification.

I'm really just wondering if, give I'll be pulling bits of the dash out anyway, it's worth looking to improve the speakers at the same time.

Post #279110 22nd Oct 2015 12:41 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

The sub is in the boot, there are also speakers in the rear pillars. Not sure if your wiring would be there, might be worth a look?

Post #279113 22nd Oct 2015 2:03 pm
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

mattie wrote:
I've not yet fixed how best to get bluetooth and satnav into the car, so interested to hear how others are getting on.

FWIW, I fitted a Garmin Nuvi 2699LMT-D into the cubby hole which has Bluetooth connections for the phone and traffic information from my Android phone.

It also has the facility for a wireless reversing camera which I may fit if the price comes down.

Post #279114 22nd Oct 2015 2:23 pm
jon_a5

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Have dropped mattie a PM, but for anyone else that's interested on an upgrade that gives Sat Nav, bluetooth and more whilst keeping the OEM system check out the car computer that I installed http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12711.html

Coincidentally it's been sat in a box since I upgraded to a MY13 last year and am looking to get rid of it if anyone is interested? Freelander 2, 2014 Dynamic SD4 Santorini Black

Post #279398 25th Oct 2015 6:32 pm
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Going for the Garmin is a good fix. Easy to fit, even I managed it, and looks like it was made to measure.

Post #281041 12th Nov 2015 10:41 pm
Alex_cee

New Zealand 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Chuckalicious wrote:
In terms of sat nav, I have the GS too and although it is very basic, I put a simple phone mount bracket in the cubby hole above the stereo and when I need GPS, I stick my phone in the bracket, book it up to audio with the aux socket, use aa power socket to charge it and just use Here Maps which is an offline mapping GPS app. Works perfectly and as long as you're playing music through your phone the app dips the music and it all comes nice and loud through the stereo. If you're listening to the radio, just don't have the phone coming through the aux socket.

Not the prettiest solution but the easiest if you have a smart phone already. Most people don't really need sat nav on every journey anyway.

I know this is an old thread, but do you have a link for the phone holder that fits this space?

Post #393091 25th Jun 2020 12:28 am
Bogart

RogB wrote:
Pretty sure its not a simple retro fit on the older pre 2009/10 models.

I had a parrot Bluetooth kit fitted for hands free/music streaming and while the dash was off I ran a long USB power cable down the back from the cubby box to the front aux power socket next to the gearstick.

My Garmin sat nav slotted into the cubby with no need for a bracket and was ignition powered by the AUX socket with a USB adaptor plug, and I could hear the instructions quite clearly from the standard sat nav speaker (I think the cubby box had the effect of amplifying the voice slightly)

All in about �200 including cost of parrot, sat nav and fitting at Hell Frauds.

Pics in my gallery Thumbs Up

I did same with my Garmin was made to measure. Put a small push button on/off on top looks fine in my eyes.

Post #393113 25th Jun 2020 9:41 am
Bogart

Bogart wrote:
Going for the Garmin is a good fix. Easy to fit, even I managed it, and looks like it was made to measure.

Never knew there was a phone holder.

Post #393114 25th Jun 2020 9:42 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Afraid not Alex, that was quite some time ago and I can't even remember where I bought it. I've since moved on to a different mount anyway which sits on top of the dash rather than over the cubby.

Personally I've found I need the cubby more regularly than I need sat nav and nothing beats Google Maps on a phone anyway so I just use my phone as it controls all.my media in the car anyway.

Have played about with so many options and all of them feel like a bodge so I've given up trying to fully integrate anything. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #393115 25th Jun 2020 9:44 am
Alex_cee

New Zealand 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Thanks for the reply mate

Post #393119 25th Jun 2020 10:49 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

No worries. There's a ton of info on here with all sorts of options, from fitting sat nav units, to replacing head units, amps, harnesses etc. Personally I've found the best method is simply using your phone connected via Bluetooth or aux. Not as pretty, but always up to date and always works. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #393120 25th Jun 2020 10:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12