« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > My Car Computer Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jon_a5

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black
My Car Computer Install

Am planning on installing a car computer, so thought I would start a blog type post as I go along so people all the information is there for everyone to see.

Sorry for the delay, here is the information about the hardware I have bought, sorry if it looks a bit rubish, have copied and pasted from word, assuming that I can keep editing will just keep adding to this post.

Hardware

Screen – 7 Inch Lilliput Hdmi Touch Screen with auto switching
Was very difficult to find one with the auto switching that allows a reversing camera automatically selected when you enter reverse.
Motherboard / CPU - Asus E35M1-I Deluxe Mini ITX
Went for an integrated cpu as they use less power and run cooler, perfect for a the car environment.
This asus board has all the connections and adaptors built in so saves on extra usb devices, it also has hdmi out so can pipe full 1080p to the screen
Memory – 4GB of DDR 3 Ram
I could of got 8 but didn’t think it was needed for the car pc, can always upgrade later.
Storage – 60GB SATA III Solid State Drive and a 500GB usb 3 external HD
Have been making computers for years and the biggest speed increase I have ever seen is when I
started using a solid state, plus handy to be able to remove the external HD so I can manage music on it just like an ipod.
Case - Black Box Mobile Case
Has lots of useful features that are handy for the car pc environment, fits a Mini ITX motherboard and a psu plus has power connectors that can be easily disconnected when you need to remove it from the car
Power Supply - M2-ATX 160 Watt intelligent power supply
Designed for a carpc, has built in features that allow it to stay on for certain lengths of time after the car has been switched off. It also monitors the battery voltage and shuts down if it gets too low.
Also got a laptop style power supply for when I am working with it in the house.
GPS Receiver – USB Serif III (High baud rate)
A GPS receiver that has the transfer rate increased to improve the speed of updates
Steering Wheel Interface - Joycon EXR
Not sure if I will use this or not but it was cheeper to get it now than pay another set of postage.
Allows the signals from the steering wheel controls to be converted into usb controls that the carputer reads, planning on keeping the standard headunit so need to see if I can keep some functions connected to the head unit and others connected to the carputer
Microphone - Phoenix Audio MT107A Automotive Microphone
A special mic designed for car applications, has built in hardware echo cancelling so should have nice and clear Bluetooth conversations, and even possibly voice control.
Reversing Camera
In keeping with the factory look going to fit a number plate light camera, it doesn't do night vision but the reversing lights should light things up enough, the bullet camera I had on my old car had good night vision but kept switching from night to day in the city because of the street lights.
Link To Camera

Software

System
Was quite a difficult choice here, am running the windows 7 (will upgrade to 8 once the other software is compatible)
Frontend
For the frontend to control all the media aspects am running centrafuse, I think it’s one of the most attractive and feature rich carputer front ends, with a good user base and support.
Navigation
This was a difficult one, any windows compatible navigation software was an option here, but not all of them integrate too well with centrafuse, there are two main options, both support TMC with the correct adapter so will probably add that at a later date.
Destinator
The option that could be purchased with centrafuse, looks quite dated and the maps haven’t been updated since 2010
Sygic
This is the option I have gone for, looks much better and still integrates well with centrafuse, have had a few issues with activation and can’t get 7 digit post codes to work, but going to leave it now until I get the hardware to test it properly.
Other Software
There is a marketplace for centrafuse just like the apple app store, there are some very good apps already available including a spotify app which gives all the functions of normal spotify optimised for a touch screen.
At some point may get a elm reader and some dash display software but have tried to get the minimum for now.

Last edited by jon_a5 on 26th Jul 2012 12:50 pm. Edited 6 times in total

Post #149335 24th Jul 2012 8:17 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

C'mon then, lets be having it Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #149336 24th Jul 2012 8:18 pm
Knoxy

Switzerland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Lago Grey

yep come on. dish up the details...

Post #149343 24th Jul 2012 9:07 pm
jon_a5

Have added some hardware and software information for now, installation wise, planning on putting the computer under the passenger seat and the screen where the navigation would be on the posh models.

Will keep updating this and take pictures as I go, if anyone has experience with carcomputers, or fitting screens etc to the freelenader feel free to chip in. Have already had some help form johnny_22_83 who is going to send me through some pictures soon.

Jon

Post #149348 24th Jul 2012 9:58 pm
Bugblatter

United Kingdom 

Sounds good. Look forward to seeing pics when done. 2013 RR Evoque Pure Tech
2012 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey - gone

Post #149355 24th Jul 2012 10:47 pm
jon_a5

Yep, there will be lots of pics along the way, if It all goes to plan...

Forgot to add the reversing camera so that's there now.

Jon

Post #149357 24th Jul 2012 11:00 pm
johnny_22_83

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Jon, it seems that you chose the same components for your project as I did (except I only have a 40 GB SSD hard drive Sad , and I didn't bother with steering wheel controls and microphone).

it all started like this

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and ended up like this

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Regarding the navigation software, you should also take into consideration Igo and Garmin.
I chose Igo and I think it looks ok (having in mind you concern for integrating in centrafuse).
By the way, (one piece of advice) in order to integrate the navigation software I bought a licence for an app (apploader) but I didn't manage to do anything with it. Afterwards I found out that centrafuse also has an option to integrate such software and it's free and it works much much better than apploader.
Good luck with your project
It's a lot of work but the result makes it worth everything.

Post #149373 25th Jul 2012 7:29 am
jon_a5

How strange, I was origonally looking at intel mother boards but then found this one on the mcs website and thought it looked great!

The steering wheel controls I might not bother with but thought it was worth getting them as they were $40 to buy now and an extra $60 for shipping if I buy later...

Went for the mic as currently of a Nokia car kit with no display and it has a separate speaker that is very echoey, so thought I best get it right first time...

The 60gb SSS was on offer so stretched a little further than I planned, only really need 32 but the 60 was not much more expensive and had much faster speeds.

How have you set your power supply up, as in delays for turn off etc? I use mine for a dily commute do car sits overnight then for 7 hours during the day, hope it's nice and quick to restore from hibernation, I hear windows 8 is suppose to be very quick at booting.

Have already bought sygic, wanted to try out software before I ordered the hardware, it looks like there is a way to enable 7 digit post codes so should be all ok, the software its self looks rather feature rich.

Out of curiosity, do you have a website for the igo software? I can't seams to find it for windows, only for ios (seams most of the big nav companies are concentrating on iOS these days...

Thanks for the pictures!

Jon

Post #149377 25th Jul 2012 7:55 am
jon_a5

Just had an update from Sygic support, they have sent me a file with an adjustment that allows me to have the 7digit post codes. I have also purchased the traffic at a very reasonable €9.99 a year, not sure where it gets the data from, still half tempted to get a tmc receiver, for when the 3g Mifi Dongle isn't playing.

Post #149409 25th Jul 2012 1:55 pm
johnny_22_83

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

I've set up my power supply to cut the carputer's power after 2 hours, during which the system is in a hibernation stadium
Regarding the Igo, you can google for gpsunderground (it's the first result). It's only for testing purpose.

Post #149580 27th Jul 2012 5:45 pm
jon_a5

That is probably what I am going to do with mine, I am hoping that the resume times are quick enough, I was thinking about putting windows 8 on it but just found out that the GPS reciver I have bought won't work with windows 8 because of the com port drivers.

All my stuff arrived today, I appear to be missing a cable though Sad Its not the end of the world just yet as I am planning on making it all work on the bench then putting it in the car later, its the female cable for the quick connector power.

I will stick some pictures up of all the parts and fitting as I get on with it this weekend.

Jon

Post #149596 27th Jul 2012 9:40 pm
jon_a5

Update

First ting, the car is now mine! Not planning on doing the install just yet though, have to think through a few bits and pieces.

The hardware is put together and the software is all installed, it was a bit of a mess on but just like setting up any computer from scratch. The missing cable is stopping me from sealing it all up in its case, so looking forward to that arriving then it will be nice and easy to plug and unplug when I need to.

The automotive mic is very impressive, it completely cancels all echo and has great sound quality very pleased I have got that as the car currently has a nokia kit which works well but has no display.

Jonny, few questions, what resolution are you running things at? I am running it full screen (windows is set to 720p) and it all looks great, but just wondered what you run.

How is the power in windows configured, I have set the power supply to turn off after 2 hours, just not sure if it sends a signal to the computer or the computer has to hibernate its self?

How have you connected the audio? I am planning on connecting in to the aux in, but would quite like to keep all the connections hidden, so wondered if there is a way to connect to the aux socket behind the dash? Failing that I might buy an additional one and connect that to the line in on the pc and then hide the one that's connected to the stereo under the centre console.

Post #149971 31st Jul 2012 10:22 pm
jon_a5

Update Again

The additional cables have arrived now, so the computer is now happily installed in its case. Things run very quickly, have chosen a different resolution, that looks great and runs really well too, it also doesn't fill out to the edges of the screen which is great as some will be cut off when I put it in the car.

Just need to do some final testing and have a think about the wiring now.

Oh and work out how to get the dash out!

Jon

Post #150459 7th Aug 2012 2:20 pm
Bugblatter

United Kingdom 

Have a look in Cypress's gallery. 2013 RR Evoque Pure Tech
2012 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey - gone

Post #150485 7th Aug 2012 7:06 pm
jon_a5

Thanks that's great! Any tips on prising the top speaker cover out?

Jon

Post #150492 7th Aug 2012 8:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>