Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > All this talk of watches...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 22 <123 ... 151617 ... 202122>
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Steve D wrote:
Lucky, lucky, lucky day for me today. I was over Westfield Stratford collecting a new pair of boots that had been changed under warranty and I popped in Waitrose to get a few bits - pasta and rice etc. Anyway, I paid for them at the self service checkout, put them in my backpack and went to leave. As I did, the security guard blocked my way and stopped me. "Look sir", he said and pointed to the checkout I was on. My bloody watch was on it!!! The pin had come out of the head and it had dropped off. Luckily just outside the store was the Omega boutique and they fitted it back together for me. It’s not my most expensive watch but it’s not exactly a cheapie either. Strap was new at Christmas and it’s a genuine Omega strap too with new spring bars. Excuse the poor quality picture.

Lucky boy, and an big up for security. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #392771 17th Jun 2020 6:17 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Not quite watch related but I have a Dutch wall clock that strikes the Westminster chimes and recently I noticed that some of the notes were not striking. The clock was making a wiring noise too so I took it down and got some proper clock oil and proceeded to oil the bits inside. I discovered that the reason for the missing notes was that a couple of the hammers were falling slowly and not hitting the chiming rods presumably due to the lubrication drying out so I oiled that part of the mechanism and now none of the fall quickly enough to strike the rods si I am assuming that my oil is too viscous. Can anyone recommend a suitable light oil? I am using J D Windle's medium viscosity Clock Oil.

PS can't find any grease nipples on it either Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #392810 18th Jun 2020 11:05 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Sewing machine oil is very low viscosity - perfect for my turntable bearings Smile 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #392811 18th Jun 2020 11:22 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Not a new watch but a new strap. A Hirsch tan rally strap for my Speedmaster. It’s amazing how a strap can change the look of a watch.

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #394012 9th Jul 2020 12:23 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I like that it’s like it was made for it.

Post #394013 9th Jul 2020 12:37 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The strap reminds me of an old sports cars steering wheel.

Post #394014 9th Jul 2020 12:38 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

That’s what I thought. My Speedmaster '57 is Omega's modern interpretation of their original Speedmaster released in 1957.
A little bit of Speedmaster history here for those that are interested.

https://www.timeandwatches.com/p/history-o...aster.html

My one is an automatic with a crystal caseback. I think if I ever bought another Omega, it would have to be the bog standard hand-wind professional version. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #394015 9th Jul 2020 12:55 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Well my interest in watches has got SWMBO interested and she said she's thinking about getting a new watch so I thought well that's Christmas sorted early then Laughing

In the past, she's opted for "designer" watches but that's before I put her back on the straight and narrow. My issue with so called designer watches is that there is a tendency to use cheap Chinese movements and parts and then stick the designer brand name on it so that you are literally paying for the name.

My watches, whilst far removed from the lofty peaks of a Rolex or Patek, are at least proper watches. I have my TAG Heuer which is my first foray into luxury watches, a Tissot Sea-Star, a Seiko Prospex Diver (save the ocean limited edition), Casio G-Shock and a number of Rotary watches. Some of those Rotary's were inherited from my late father so are therefore priceless.

After careful consideration, this is the one that I just know SWMBO will love and the brand has some serious heritage. Older than Rolex and Omega, having been founded in 1832. Secured a not too shabby £146 discount off the price which makes it some way cheaper than even Swiss Watches Direct.

https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/collections/lo...709-1-21-7 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #395590 15th Aug 2020 6:48 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Nice. Good to see you are looking for discounts now instead of paying the ticket price. Whistle I bought my wife a Longines two Christmas's ago. I got this one https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch-the-l...257-5-37-7 but not at that price! Think I paid less than £1,300 in a sale with 20% off AND used a discount coupon! On reflection I wish I’d bought her one with a quartz Movement as she has absolutely no interest in mechanical watches and doesn’t appreciate the crystal caseback plus, if she leaves it off for a few days she complains that she has to wind and set it to get it working again. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #395596 15th Aug 2020 7:39 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Nice that. It's been a while now since I paid ticket prices Laughing Got a healthy discount off my Seiko Prospex diver. My Mrs is the same and would not be interested in an automatic despite the fact I already have 2 winders with capacity to cope with another watch.

Still, there's a lot to be said for Quartz and indeed Seiko as a brand. I did some proper research into their history and it was only then that I realised they made the first ever Quartz watch. Walked past the Seiko boutique near Harrods last year and there in the display cabinet sat the same watch as mine, albeit £200 more than what I paid.

Certainly impressed by Longines Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #395600 15th Aug 2020 8:41 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Further to the above re the watch for SWMBO, she doesn't have any other watches so as a bonus Xmas present (as the above watch is too nice to risk wearing at the nursery where she works), I'm looking at Casio Baby-G.

Not sure on colour yet but they aren't expensive and I've been pleased with my G-Shock I've had since 2015. Just takes any knocks and is my obvious choice when doing DIY or out walking on forest trails etc.

Anyone's other half got a Baby-G watch? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #400260 22nd Nov 2020 12:37 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Don't know about the baby G but my work watch is a G-Shock. It gets bashed, crashed, knocked, scratched, covered in oil and being solar powered and radio controlled, it keeps absolute perfect time. I use that to set/check the correct time on my other watches.

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #400287 23rd Nov 2020 7:47 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Yep they are good. I like the steel one as well, mine is rubber/plastic in navy blue with yellow casio branding. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #400314 24th Nov 2020 11:22 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

My offering.
Breitling Avenger Skyland but have an Apple Watch as my daily.
Night and day in weight difference Shocked
Can anyone recommend where I can get it serviced?

Post #400322 24th Nov 2020 1:56 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Nice Thumbs Up I like blue dial watches as it's my favourite colour. My Seiko Prospex diver and TAG-Heuer F1 Chronograph both have blue dials. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #400333 24th Nov 2020 4:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 22 <123 ... 151617 ... 202122>