« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > HELP - Propshaft removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wytonpjs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
HELP - Propshaft removal

Urgent help needed! I’m trying to remove my propshaft at the rear Haldex connection on a MY11 FL2 to repair the fuel tank sender fault. Other posts I have read say remove the 6 torx bolts, insert a M8 bolt through one of the 2 non-threaded holes and tap. I’ve tried this and have resorted to making up a threaded bridge to force the propshaft flange off but I’m now having second thoughts. The fwd side of the flange arrangement had a rubber coating to the inner edge and my first thoughts was that it had been wet-assembled with PRC or something similar. However, then there are the “rivets” that you can see on both the front and rear faces that suggest to me that it might be a “coupling” of some thoughts. There is a band clip around the propshaft where it enters the flange, holding a rubber boot tightly sealed. Do I just need to release that and pull the splined ends out?

Any help/advice VERY warmly welcomed!

Post #391804 30th May 2020 7:38 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

my local garage that I've used for years repaired the fuel gauge problem, including parts for £105 +very annoying tax. apparently no need to drop tank completely, with advise from local LR independent they liaise with. sender unit can be unclipped inside tank and pulled up enough to clamp modification kit to wiring.

Post #391808 30th May 2020 8:59 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: HELP - Propshaft removal

wytonpjs wrote:

I have the same mega flange on my 2014 FL2.
I used a bridge too, but put it over the M8 bolt and used two flange bolts (one each end of the bridge) to push the bridge down onto the M8 bolt head and push the M8 into the unthreaded hole. That way the M8 remains parallel with the hole axis. In your pic the M8 is leaned over - maybe digging into the side of the hole.

The prop flange came off slowly with sustained pressure from the M8.

You can make your own bridge or use several of the reinforcing plates that link pairs of flange bolts (as per Haynes manual). Jules

Post #391809 30th May 2020 9:49 pm
wytonpjs

Hi Jules -VMT for getting back to me. I have real worries in my mind that the flange is actually supposed to be disassembled at all - it appears to be rubber encapsulated and those rivet heads visible at the perimeter just don’t look like they are supposed to come apart. I don’t suppose you have any pictures of the disassembled flange? I was going to release the clamp holding the rubber boot to the end of the propshaft to see whether the splines would disconnect leaving the flange in position..... As I’m up on ramps I have no easy way of rotating the propshaft to gain better access to bridge the hole as you suggest at present - I’ll look to see what I can safely do...

Thanks again!

Post #391822 31st May 2020 10:19 am
jules

You need to raised a front wheel to allow the propshaft to turn via the PTU differential.

The mega flange does NOT separate into two pieces but the propshaft flange comes out from inside it, See pics (as usual this website annoyingly rotates them) - but you will see how the prop shaft flange comes away.

To get the mega flange off you need to make a simple tool to bolt to the back of the mega flange (same side you put the M8 into) to hold it still whilst you undo the central nut. Then a puller to get the mega flange off the shaft - but some people on here say it comes off with a tap from a hammer.
Im not sure its a good idea to try and grip the outer circumference of the mega flange (in a big vice say) because im not sure how it is joined to the inner part of the mega flange. Jules

Post #391841 31st May 2020 4:46 pm
wytonpjs

Hi Jules - thank you very much for posting these. The main issues that I had not reckoned with were: (1) needing to get both wheels off the ground on one side whilst I was up on the ramps to be able to rotate the propshaft, and (2) needing to drop the forward bearing/DPF support to be able to create enough space to get the propshaft flange out of the active coupling housing. Also, the only space that you can use the 3 bolt and spacer solution is by the Haldex control unit and to maximise that space, you need to remove the plug. Slow process but it does work and the flange came apart after I’d rotated it 180 degree and applied pressure through the second hole.

Very many thanks for your help! Pictures for those unfortunate enough to need to do this operation.

Post #391867 1st Jun 2020 8:15 am
jules

Well done - not technically difficult just awkward.
I did mine on a hydraulic ramp but still I took the exhaust pipe right off as I wanted the space .
Two wheels ? You only need to have one front wheel up in the air to rotate the prop. The prop is not connected to the rear diff as the haldex will be disengaged - so the rear wheels do not need to rotate. Unless of course your haldex is jammed in the locked up position. Jules

Post #391877 1st Jun 2020 12:44 pm
wytonpjs

Oh dear......... Checking underneath this morning I appear to have a Haldex oil leak I believe. There's too much for it to be WD40 still seeping out and its a light oil. I have obviously disturbed something - chances of this settling down or is it just going to get worse?

Post #392067 6th Jun 2020 10:39 am
jules

What else did you do besides removing the propshaft ?

Did you do anything to the Haldex ? Jules

Post #392118 6th Jun 2020 9:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1