« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > CCF edit problems with Nanocom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
CCF edit problems with Nanocom

Has anyone else had problems recently with CCF editing via Nanocom and Genesis?

I've just fitted a new Witter towbar with vehicle-specific electrics, I took the existing CCF from the car and went onto the Genesis site to modify it, when finished I downloaded it, unzipped it put it on the SD card and fired it back to the FL2, it went through all the normal stuff and then ended with a "Failed to set download address" message every time.
Just to add to that, out of desperation, I took the unmodified as-built file from Genesis based on the VIN and that gave the same error.

As it happens I've also been trying to update the CCF on a friend's Disco 3 and I'm getting the exact same end result.

I've used this function plenty of times in the past, both on my previous FL2 and on a Disco 3 that I had before and never had a problem.

I've asked the question over on the Nanocom forum but they're off for Easter just now, I'm just wondering if anyone else here has had the same problem.

Post #390296 21st Apr 2020 2:43 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I haven't a clue what it means but this clip seems to show the user ignoring message and just carrying on

FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #390308 21st Apr 2020 5:14 pm
CliveS

That's exactly how mine goes but on pressing OK on that last screen, the procedure goes no further, it just throws up a load of errors including "engine fault" on the dash.

Post #390310 21st Apr 2020 6:14 pm
Badger51

Australia 

CliveS, I've not done any CCF adjustments recently with the Nanocom but would like to ask why you are also using a power supply on the Nanocom as well as the OBD power? It's not something I've ever had to do or seen the need to.

Good luck with it,

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #390322 21st Apr 2020 9:21 pm
CliveS

That picture was from when I was trying to flash the D3, it involved turning the ignition off and on again part way through to swap the IPAC over to write the CCF to a replacement one, the external power was just to ensure the Nanocom power wasn’t interrupted.

The message was exactly the same for the FL2 and D3 though.

Post #390324 21st Apr 2020 9:30 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Ah, that explains it. Hopefully Alexbbs will come up with a solution for you shortly then! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #390325 21st Apr 2020 9:33 pm
CliveS

Update:
I've been back through the flashing procedure numerous times, tried and re-formatted several different SD cards and even re-installed the Nanocom software, but it always ends up with the same error message and goes no further. Alex says it looks like an SD card fault so lt appears there's a problem with the Nanocom itself, it will be on it's way back to Cyprus over the next couple of days so the tow electrics module and the Disco3 will have to wait for now. Rolling Eyes

Post #390405 23rd Apr 2020 6:54 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Bit of a pain that Clive, is it still under warranty? I know mine certainly isn't but 'touch wood', it has worked flawlessly ever since I bought it. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #390406 23rd Apr 2020 8:58 pm
CliveS

A pain indeed, and no it's not under warranty, I've had it for a few years now, can't really complain though, it's been a really useful piece of kit. hey ho, merde happens. Wink

Post #390407 23rd Apr 2020 9:06 pm
CliveS

An update to this thread in case anyone else who may stumble across it is having had the same issues.

Before sending my Nanocom back to Cyprus, I finally found a solution which seems to work every time, the problem appears to be with the SD card, or at least the way it's formatted and programmed.

I had been using the BBS "format tool" to format the card in the SD slot in my laptop, this formats it as FAT and adds two folders, an empty one, BBS where one normally adds files like the CCF data files for example, then a second one, SBL which contains 26 VBF files used in part of the flashing process. I should add that I tried this process with three different laptops, an HP one with Windows 10, a Panasonic Toughbook with Windows 7 and a Macbook Pro running Windows 10 in Bootcamp, just in case there were any hardware conflicts adding to the issue.

With the SD card in the Nanocom, I can read the folders and contained files using the NC file manager, so far so good until I get to the flashing which results in the "Failed to set download address" error as mentioned in the first post.

After some experimenting, I found that if I format the card manually in the PC and add the required folders using Windows explorer, when I put the card in the NC and go to Flash programming, I get a "no file found" message, if I view it with the NC file manager, the folders or files don't appear as all.

As a different approach, I clean formatted the card again in the PC, put the card in the NC and added the two folders from there, then put the card back in the PC and populated the folders as required, then back to the Nanocom, plugged into the Freelander and flashed the CCF without a hitch, I repeated this with a few of the cards that were previously "unresponsive" and it worked every time.

I still don't understand why my Nanocom sees or treats folders differently somehow depending on how or where they're created, maybe something to do with the software architecture perhaps, anyway the solution above works for me.

Post #391406 21st May 2020 9:43 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

^^^^ Excellent troubleshooting. Have you tried a new SD card from scratch?

Post #391416 21st May 2020 12:15 pm
CliveS

Yes, new ones, old ones, standard size, micro with adaptor, tried all sorts.

A big help came though when Alex at BBS sent me a 1GB card he had formatted and tested, it was identical to two new ones that I had ordered via eBay and couldn't get to work properly, I added my CCF files to Alex's card and it worked, from this point I knew that my Nanocom was working properly so I had to dig a bit deeper.

The main criteria for the SD cards is that they need to be formatted FAT, not FAT32, this limits the choice to a card of up to 4GB, the rest was just trying a bit of lateral thinking.

Post #391419 21st May 2020 12:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1