Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Boxbrownie wrote:
What? You don’t want it looking like a Tesla? Rolling with laughter

Bow down

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #389473 3rd Apr 2020 4:51 pm
bnicho

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I do like the look of this unit, but I'd question whether it's really compatible all the way back to 2007. There is a mechless version without a DVD/CD slot which would resolve that issue. But even that version has the hill descent and traction control buttons on the radio fascia. On a pre-2012 (2013?) car, those buttons are down on the centre console, not near the radio. Perhaps they simply would not function?

Cheers, Brett Nicholson
Greendale, Victoria
2007 Freelander 2 GS ex-UK now in Aus!
1973 Land Rover Series 3 88 ex-UK
1965 Morris Mini Traveller ex-UK
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe ex-UK
1971 Morris Mini Moke
2013 Toyota Prado

Post #389699 7th Apr 2020 12:08 am
grumsel

Netherlands 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I don't know for this model but in a Russian forum I have seen another solution were they replaced the old model facia with a new facia and there the buttons were working in parallel.

See here https://translate.googleusercontent.com/tr...0ukSQPGy2Q

The work that that guy is doing is really impressive. He not only replaced the facia for the later one, he is also busy upgrading the speedo cluster to the new model and got it partly working.

Post #389702 7th Apr 2020 8:02 am
konstantinos_north

Greece 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Leap of faith part one - It's not fake and seems to work well

Still got some issues to sort out but overall satisfied with the result. Quality is above average for China build non oem product but cant be sure about long term use.

Haven't yet checked all functionality so I dont have the final verdict.

Post #397677 30th Sep 2020 4:05 pm
bnicho

Looks good.

I'd be interested to see what functions of the car it can show and control and how well it works with the steering wheel controls.

Cheers, Brett Nicholson
Greendale, Victoria
1971 Morris Mini Moke
2013 Toyota Prado

Post #397693 1st Oct 2020 1:32 am
riggzby

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

Wow, no one can accuse you of not biting the bullet!

Really interested to see how this turns out.

Post #397699 1st Oct 2020 12:16 pm
konstantinos_north

bnicho wrote:
Looks good.

I'd be interested to see what functions of the car it can show and control and how well it works with the steering wheel controls.

Cheers,

So far I have all controls and functions of the oem console and head unit. I am always referring to 2010 SD4 with oem head unit.
Steering wheel controls are also working.
They have also included a "console" option on top menu where you can access all functions of the oem unit and change units / settings as before. Have in mind that all elements of the old unit are still in place (Just removed the screen from the navi unit and keep only mainboard- to make space for the new unit) and the new is plugged with it. In background the old system is still connected and just interfacing with the new.
Door lock / hazard etc are plugged on new console. Hill descent and traction are not working as they were routed in the center tunnel in my car. I believe the same unit is accomodating for all versions of the vehicle and thus provides additional features that wont be used by all vehicles. It also contains two sets of wire harness for 07-12 and 12-14 vehicles.

Didnt like that layout but cant blame them for reproducing the oem view. I opted for the 13.6 screen without CD slot however the CD changer is still connected and operational but not accessible.

On the plus side of functions now I have the plot of parking sensor zones which wasn't available in the old head unit.

On the negative side

1. I just got a crap installation doc and not a user manual or other documentation. Makes me wonder why as the unit was boxed on original manufacturer there wasnt a copy and I was just provided with links to download it. I am now in contact with the manufacturer in an attempt to get these just in case.

2. The shop support is typical of chinese customer services. Somewhat responsive but without deep knowledge of the unit so not really able to help. I wouldn't recommend using this particular store even though its selling only head units and you'd thought they have experience or access to product information. That said If there was a proper installation guide for each supported version of the vehicle I would have saved hours of trial and error.

3. I have 4G connection and internet upon starting but then internet gets off while cell connection is still on. Looked at several things but still not able to sort this. However wifi is up and working and I can go on until I find out.

4. There has to be a bug in the door opening warning for the front driver and passenger as they appear to be opposite on screen. while in the car dash are correct. I can live with that.

Overall I am satisfied with the result even though I'd think its pricey, while not made by renowned brand, (cant imagine how much would cost otherwise). It is well designed with respect to interfacing with the vehicle and external devices which will extended the use life of the vehicel until the next leap of faith.

Post #397716 2nd Oct 2020 9:06 am
bnicho

Thanks for the feedback, very interesting.

How fast does the head unit boot up if the car has been switched off for a few hours? Brett Nicholson
Greendale, Victoria
1971 Morris Mini Moke
2013 Toyota Prado

Post #397719 2nd Oct 2020 9:18 am
konstantinos_north

About 10s when switched off for hours.

Post #397953 6th Oct 2020 7:12 am
bnicho

10 seconds is good. Faster than my Xonrich. Brett Nicholson
Greendale, Victoria
1971 Morris Mini Moke
2013 Toyota Prado

Post #397955 6th Oct 2020 7:59 am
Duskadder

United Kingdom 

I bought a CarPlay Android head unit from Unique Audio developments in Exeter. Had a few teething troubles but works well now and looks very stock.

Post #398128 10th Oct 2020 12:33 pm
DnD

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

@Duskadder I've been looking at that unit from Unique Audio, as you say, looks stock but gives you all the current features you could need.
How are you getting on with it, any teething probs?
Did you fit it yourself or do they do it?

Post #398150 11th Oct 2020 10:01 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hill descent and traction are not working as they were routed in the center tunnel in my car. I believe the same unit is accomodating for all versions of the vehicle and thus provides additional features that wont be used by all vehicles. It also contains two sets of wire harness for 07-12 and 12-14 vehicles.

Didnt like that layout . . .

On the negative side
1. I just got a crap installation doc and not a user manual or other documentation. Makes me wonder why as the unit was boxed on original manufacturer there wasnt a copy and I was just provided with links to download it. I am now in contact with the manufacturer in an attempt to get these just in case.

2. The shop support is typical of chinese customer services. Somewhat responsive but without deep knowledge of the unit so not really able to help. I wouldn't recommend using this particular store even though its selling only head units and you'd thought they have experience or access to product information. That said If there was a proper installation guide for each supported version of the vehicle I would have saved hours of trial and error.

3. I have 4G connection and internet upon starting but then internet gets off while cell connection is still on. Looked at several things but still not able to sort this. However wifi is up and working and I can go on until I find out.

4. There has to be a bug in the door opening warning for the front driver and passenger as they appear to be opposite on screen. while in the car dash are correct. I can live with that.

Overall I am satisfied with the result even though I'd think its pricey, while not made by renowned brand, (cant imagine how much would cost otherwise). It is well designed with respect to interfacing with the vehicle and external devices which will extended the use life of the vehicel until the next leap of faith.[/quote]

Sorry, but I always wonder why anyone changes all the original gear when clearly still left having issues with the new one? Perhaps it's just me?

Post #398151 11th Oct 2020 10:24 am
Duskadder

United Kingdom 

@DnD

I fitted it myself. I would say very easy to fit. Came with the Fibre Loop etc. wasn't plain sailing but I think this was more to do with myself being one of, if not THE first to purchase and install this unit in a Freelander. Since completing the install the unit has been solid, can't complain. Things I like about it.

1. My Freelander is a HSE and had the stock Bluetooth phone prep with steering wheel controls etc. These all still work so I didn't have to run any additional Mic cables. It uses the factory mic and I can still answer and hang up using the steering wheel controls.
2. It looks very stock. No additional buttons, panels or anything else. I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to things looking factory even down to not liking the fact of having to use Aux input. Although this uses the Aux input (internally it doesn't plug into the aux port but you do have to switch the radio to Aux input). But then (assuming you have factory Bluetooth factory phone) you can then switch the radio back to phone and then you get the stock radio displaying the phone signal and status etc and then audio coming from the CarPlay unit. Probably just me but I like that.

3. Seems very responsive. Caveat: I've not installed any other Android apps although it is possible to do so. I haven't had any issues with lag and the display is very crisp and clear. That may sound like a no brainer but I previously bought an aftermarket CarPlay plugin for another of my cars and the display quality was shocking. No such issues with this.

Happy to provide any help or advice with installs and If you search a well known auction site for "Kahn Freelander" you can see some pics of the installed unit. MY vehicle also have two Apple TV units installed if you or anyone wants info on how I did that.

Post #398156 11th Oct 2020 12:15 pm
konstantinos_north

Sidthecat wrote:

Sorry, but I always wonder why anyone changes all the original gear when clearly still left having issues with the new one? Perhaps it's just me?

Very Happy Being a Mech eng I am always looking for challenges. Also I do like the FL2 but truth is the oem infotainment was already outdated while rolling out of factory.

Now on the specifics I might not have made it clear but I mean that the hill descent and traction control are operated through the oem controls near the gear shift as before and thus the buttons in the new console are not needed.On a post 2012 LR2 these will be used. All other dashboard controls are functional through the new unit.

The green screen layout is really looking outdated but I can't blame them for trying to reproduce on screen the same view of the old unit buttons and layout. Truth is I won’t be using that layout at all as I am on carplay.
All other issues with 4G and doors have been resolved so I am happy with the result.

Finally I agree with you that the installation and customizing of this unit isnt for the faint hearted Very Happy due to lack of support and issues that I have resolved with trial and error. But sure worth the effort Thumbs Up . All until I take the next leap of faith probably towards a new defender.

Post #398188 12th Oct 2020 7:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>