Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > I use different method to flush the ATF 3.2 What you think?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Turbo_Boss

Panama 
I use different method to flush the ATF 3.2 What you think?

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 with 3.2 Engine same as the one in the LR2

Last week I flush my Transmission and use a different method.

I hook the transparent 3/4" OD hose to the radiator and use the same return pipe/hose to poured the new ATF fluid. Please check the photo to understand better what I done.

I start the engine and remove 2 quarts at a time, stop the engine, filled 2 new quarts and repeat this method until I complete 12 Quarts

the only diferent thing I done, was using the return line to pour the new AT Fluid. This way I don't removed the air filter housing.

What you think about this method?

Rgdrs

Isaac

Here you can see I use the same ATF factory return pipe/hose to filled the new fluid

Click image to enlarge

Old ATF Fluid was dark

I use Wolf Lube ATF Brand Manufactured in Belgium

Here you can see is Aisin Wagner 3309 and Toyota Type IV Compatible

Last edited by Turbo_Boss on 2nd Mar 2021 12:14 am. Edited 4 times in total

Post #385169 25th Jan 2020 3:43 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Whatever method you use, if it works for you its all good. The main thing is that the fluid has been changed. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #385172 25th Jan 2020 8:00 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Are you just using gravity to feed in the new oil and does this force the old oil out? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #385175 25th Jan 2020 9:27 am
alex_pescaru

Probably he is starting the engine for short periods of time, for the autobox pump to circulate the oil.

Post #385178 25th Jan 2020 10:01 am
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi

Can anyone advise the internal pipe diameters needed for the return pipe and cooler in this type of transmission flush as I want to do mine later this year.

Post #385184 25th Jan 2020 12:18 pm
Turbo_Boss

Panama 

Bobupndown wrote:
Are you just using gravity to feed in the new oil and does this force the old oil out?

I start the engine in order that the transmission pump out the ATF Fluid. When the transmission pump out 2 quarts, I turn off the engine, then I filed 2 new ATF Fluid.

The only different thing I do was to use the return pipe that I disconnect from the radiator to feed new fluid.

The instruction call for removing the Air Filter housing and remove a large screw in the top of the transmission to feed there the new fluid. I just avoid this method and use the return pipe that I disconnect from the radiator.

Rgds

Isaac

Post #385192 25th Jan 2020 2:25 pm
Turbo_Boss

Panama 

Check the red circle. That factory pipe/hose is the one connected to the radiator. I connect there a clear hose to filed the new fluid

We use a hose with a funnel to filed the new fluid.

Last edited by Turbo_Boss on 26th Jan 2020 6:05 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #385193 25th Jan 2020 2:25 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks for that.
Are you refilling the exact same amount you take out or do you check the finish level with the drain plug removed?
Do you think this method changes most of the old oil from the gearbox, is it pumping out clean new oil when you finish? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #385200 25th Jan 2020 4:58 pm
Turbo_Boss

Panama 

Quote:
Are you refilling the exact same amount you take out

Yes, I remove 2 quarts at a time..... Then filed 2 new quarts. I do this until I filed a total of 11.5 Quarts.

Then I filet the remaining ATF Fluid in order to make sure I was above the drain level.

Then I hook up the return pipe to the radiator using new O Rings and new green clip.

Start the engine and cycle from P to R and D several times............. Put the transmission on P

With the engine still running, remove the torx 40 screw from the drain plug and fluid come out until stop.

Leave the screw out in order that some fluid dreep and wait until the temperature get to 60º C ...... I use a Digital Laser Thermometer to check the temperature.......... It took a while until the temperature get to 60º C and then I put the screw.

The fluid that was dripping was clean red.

I am pretty sure this method changed most of the old fluid on the transmission.

The good thing about this method is that you don't need to remove the air filter housing, neither disconnecting the MAF sensor, etc, etc

Also as the returning pipe is thinner, it takes a little more time to enter the new fluid. So take your time by adding the new fluid little by little to the funnel to let the fluid in.

Post #385221 26th Jan 2020 5:49 am
Mungojerry11

United States 

Great write up! I have a 2008 Volvo xc90 as well...Couple of questions so I'm clear. First, where did you aim your thermometer? Should I aim it at the outflow hose or the pan? Also, I'm new to don't my transmission change, but I wondered, do you just pour the 11.5 quarts in and start the car at the end of the process or did you start the car/shift between gears in between each 2 quart fill? Thank you!

Post #391862 1st Jun 2020 1:59 am
Turbo_Boss

Panama 

Quote:
Great write up! I have a 2008 Volvo xc90 as well...Couple of questions so I'm clear. First, where did you aim your thermometer? Should I aim it at the outflow hose or the pan? Also, I'm new to don't my transmission change, but I wondered, do you just pour the 11.5 quarts in and start the car at the end of the process or did you start the car/shift between gears in between each 2 quart fill? Thank you!

Hey Mungojerry11,

I aimed my thermometer to the hole on the pan. Exactly where the oil is coming out........ Don't worry if is a little less or a little more...........

I start the engine, shift between gears in between each 2 quart for the first 4 quarts and then just leave the car in park............

Remember: You need to remove 2 quarts at a time, turn off the engine, add 2 quarts then start the engine, remove 2 quarts, turn off the engine add 2 quarts......... and keep doing this same until you remove 11.5 quarts.

Believe me, is very easy.......... Make sure to take photos and videos to post them here and this way help others.

Good luck

Isaac

Post #391864 1st Jun 2020 4:24 am
Mungojerry11

United States 

Isaac,

Thank you! Last question would be what size of tubing for both areas? I'm waiting on a thermometer, but will post when able to get a chance one (apparently everyone is buying the IR thermometers for the Coronavirus)! Your method appears much simpler and foolproof!
Thank you once again!
Also, if you haven't already posted on the swedespeed forum, that may help the other Volvo owners as well (I'm planning to post my pictures in both places as I think your method is great!).

Mike

Post #391878 1st Jun 2020 12:22 pm
Turbo_Boss

Panama 

Hey Mike,

I am Sorry but I dont remenber the sizes for the hoses.

I am pretty sure if you do a search for post on changing the transmission Fluid, you will find the size for the Hose that goes connected to the radiator side........ But the other I dont remember but was more thinner than the one thats goes on the radiator...........
I remenber it was the size like a garden Hose because we was going to cut one until we find the transparent one Smile

Isaac

Post #391880 1st Jun 2020 1:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1