Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre recommendation?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

We are using the Michelin Lat Cross, been a really good tyre so far, did a bit of “field work” on the farm but mostly road stuff, very quiet and smooth on the Motorway.

They were on the Michelin site with a three mountain (snow) rating but seem to have lost that now, not that it matters to me but they certainly have the sipes. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #380603 31st Oct 2019 10:14 am
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

I just put 4 new Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weathers on, a like for like replacement.
More than happy enough with how they performed in the time I've had the Freelander and no issues at all in the last heavy (for the area) snow we had late winter 2017/2018.
Mileage out of them has been acceptable too - over 22,000 miles and as I replaced them early (hoping for more snow this year Very Happy ) they would have lasted a few more miles I am sure. Andrew

Post #380615 31st Oct 2019 12:49 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Wrote this in March 2018;

August 2016, Bought from Asda, fitted by Halfords; 4 x Conti CrossContact LX-2 235/65R17 108HXL £414.56. These are on deliberately downsized 17" wheels from 19" which were standard on my Sd4 auto HSE. When I made the change and fitted the new tyres, the ride was transformed from hard and uncomfortable to firm, positive, and reassuring.

Total mileage in 22 months; 32,302. Assuming original tread depth of 8mm, the remaining treads are Front 5mm, Rear 6mm. (about to be swapped).

At that rate of wear and expecting to renew when at about 3mm, I reckon they should take me through till winter 2019. or about 50K.

About 40% of that mileage is 3 annual trips across europe on motorways, and twisty-turnys through the Alps and Pyrenees.

I would definitely recommend Contis.

As a PS; Have just exchanged those tyres having completed 39,600 miles with the treads still remaining as; 4,4,3,3,mm listed on the Tyre Safety report by Formula One aotocentres.

Post #380621 31st Oct 2019 3:52 pm
BHFL

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Lago Grey

thanks to everyone’s recommendations, I’ve got a lot to think about and I’ll be taking a bit more time to research some of the suggestions here to figure out what’s best for me.

I don’t do a lot of serious off road but am more tackling terrible condition country roads and tracks daily. I do like the look of the Goodyear wranglers after seeing them mentioned. Seem to be a good balance of on and off road for what I need.

Post #380638 31st Oct 2019 9:22 pm
mikeyw

United Kingdom 

Have a look at Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen 2. Had them on my Freelander 2. Good grip in wet and dry. Freelander 2 HSE TD4 2007

Post #380643 1st Nov 2019 3:52 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I’m surprised the Wrangler got honourable mentions. They were on mine when I got it. Hideous. Like steel hoops. Dry weather performance was so-so, in the wet the front end felt like serious understeer. That was the HP Weather version I think in 18 inch. But they wouldn’t sell if people didn’t like them. And mine were pretty old and hard. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #380646 1st Nov 2019 9:04 am
Guyjames

United Kingdom 

If it helps, we run Michelin Croos Climate SUV tyres on our FL2 auto. They're superb all rounders; did really well in the snow at the start of this year around the hilly Cornish coast where we live. Quiet and sure footed at motorway speeds too.

Expensive compared to some tyres, but with my wife and 2 children to transport, tyres is one area where I will always buy the best!

Good luck!

Post #380893 7th Nov 2019 12:49 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

ozjeff62 wrote:
I’m surprised the Wrangler got honourable mentions. They were on mine when I got it. Hideous. Like steel hoops. Dry weather performance was so-so, in the wet the front end felt like serious understeer. That was the HP Weather version I think in 18 inch. But they wouldn’t sell if people didn’t like them. And mine were pretty old and hard.

I've had no problem with the std Wranglers ~ 25000 miles per set, but still legal tread left when changing Mind you , most of my driving / sitting in jams is in a straight line on the Motorway !

Post #380896 7th Nov 2019 1:21 pm
O-B-Wan003

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I’m running Michelin Cross Climates 235, 60 R18. 103v on my 2014 SD4. 21000 miles so far after 18 months and still loads of wear. Mainly normal driving but anything on grass, sand or icy roads have been more than favourable. Unfortunately I’ve had no snow experience thus far to report on...but still hoping Smile

Post #380956 9th Nov 2019 10:16 am
BHFL

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Lago Grey

A quick update, I got some Toyo Open country A/T + fitted today and they look damn good!
I thought about a lot of the recommendations here but found these to be the only AT tyre I could find that were for R18’s, 107 load rating and v speed rating as per the manufacturer recommendations.

I read some positive reviews on their performance and longevity so will let you know how I get on.

Post #380965 9th Nov 2019 1:08 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Now you can drive your Freelander up to 149 mph safe in the knowledge that your tyres are up to the job! Rolling Eyes

I dont think mine has ever seen more than 90.

GG AT3 are my tyre of choice at the moment.
Hated the Good Year Efficient Grips it came with and also had Goodyear Wranglers on my last Disco 2 which didnt impress me at all.

I do fancy the BFG Urban Terrain as well, like to hear users views of those. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #380969 9th Nov 2019 1:54 pm
Ct8637

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

BHFL wrote:
A quick update, I got some Toyo Open country A/T + fitted today and they look damn good!
I thought about a lot of the recommendations here but found these to be the only AT tyre I could find that were for R18’s, 107 load rating and v speed rating as per the manufacturer recommendations.

I read some positive reviews on their performance and longevity so will let you know how I get on.

Mine came with those, brilliant tyres. Great grip on wet roads, Happily drove though 2ft of snow with no effort, plus I’ve done 30k miles and they’re now up for replacement and getting slippy in the wet

Post #383301 27th Dec 2019 11:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12