Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre recommendation?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BHFL

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Lago Grey
Tyre recommendation?

Hi All,

I bought my fl2 a couple of weeks ago and am loving it. Only bugbear is the tyres on it are cheap rubbish, the shame is they’re brand new but clearly the seller just put on whatever was budget. They’re a jinyu ys72 or something like that.

I live in a rural area and I really need some decent tyres, I mostly do tarmac driving but I do live up a half mile unincorporated track which is basically sections of potholes, mud and rubble and do take the odd trip out across fields etc so do need some off road ability. But I don’t want atrocious road performance as it still is the large part of my day to day.

Lastly due to being off the beaten track I also need decent snow performance as otherwise I won’t be going anywhere.

I realise I’m asking for it all which is impossible but a good compromise is what I’m after. I used to run Michelin cross climates on my last car and they were great on the snow but the treads were awful at collecting stones and weren’t that great in the mud stuff.

The three options I’ve found locally are:

- BF Goodrich urban terrain. These I thought looked quite good with all season rating and 3 peak mountain stamp for snow but they also promise decent off road performance. Website quotes for 90%tarmac 10% off road driving.
They’re also £100 off a set locally at the mo. Which takes them from being most expensive to middle.

- Pirelli crosscontact ATR - I love the look of these tyres but they are the most expensive by some way and I worry about ice and snow performance being summer tyres.

- Michelin latitude cross - the cheapest option and still look quite rugged but I worry about winter performance as with the cross climates above.

Any other suggestions and opinions would very welcome.

Thanks;

Matt

-

Post #380527 30th Oct 2019 9:26 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I'm running Pirelli ATR. Great on the road etc, but I'm keen to get slightly more aggressive tread for off road. They have done well thus far, just adjust my pressures and use technique. Due to my location I have no data on snow performance. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #380531 30th Oct 2019 10:41 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

First, don’t underestimate your FL2 when running on standard road tyres. Land Rover Experience run all their vehicles on the tyre they came with, straight out the factory - and they don’t get stuck!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #380544 30th Oct 2019 1:19 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

General grabber 3 on mine

Post #380550 30th Oct 2019 1:46 pm
BHFL

Ok thanks, good to know. Thumbs Up

I’ll have a rethink given how new these tyres are, I think my concerns were doubled by the budget nature of the road tyres. I’ve always been someone to invest in them.

But it might be worth saving the penny’s pre Christmas and see how they get on.

Post #380551 30th Oct 2019 1:46 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had latitude cross before the grabbers and tyre wear was not good not a lot of mileage from them

Post #380552 30th Oct 2019 2:04 pm
Mattmjones

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

How about shopping around for a cheap set of 17" FL2 alloys already fitted with part worn winter or all-season tyres to run in the colder months? There are plenty around on ebay and gumtree at the moment for the same money (or substantially less) than what you'd have to pay for a new set of Michelins or Pirellis.

Then you can keep your current wheels for summer use. That way you don't have to write off the cost of your brand new Jinyus without needing to trust them in the colder, icy months when they might reach their limits.

Budget tyres - especially the Chinese brands - often get slated, and although the reviews I've seen of Jinyu are mixed, they do seem to be one of the better Chinese makes and fine for general SUV use. In a 4wd like the Freelander you're also less likely to have the problems that some people moan about when they've fitted them to big fwd vehicles.

Post #380569 30th Oct 2019 6:42 pm
BHFL

Thanks for all the responses, lots of valid points for me to consider. I’ll keep an eye out on eBay for some spare wheels. I need to get a spare wheel for the boot anyway.

Post #380572 30th Oct 2019 6:54 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

For winter in Canada, I use Hankook iPike RW11s.........second best winter tyre I have used for the price. Best winter tyre (this spelling is weird for me Laughing ) I have ever used was the Nokia Hakka 10s but I don't think they are made or sold in Canada any more, Nokian yes but not the Hakkapeliitta 10S. Not sure about where you are as Nokian should be more easily available.

Of course, the second set of rims and decent winter tyres are the best option!

Post #380574 30th Oct 2019 7:30 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Bog standard Pirelli Scorpion 🦂 ATR . Will handle anything you are likely to do in the U.K. in a car That you care about . Twice in the last month I’ve hauled the FL2 out of treacherous mud ( crossing ploughed field With ruts that were scary deep)? . They are more than good enough for snow , I’ve used the brand and type for 8 years . like you inaccess our propert on an unmade track. They are also as quiet as a road tyre , steer well , handle the wet at sensible speeds for the size of the car . The new tread pattern is cool looking if that matters , and they have a good rim protection bead . Proper things . I’ve got the dogs Censored Bridgestone all season A005 on the outback , fantastic tyres but they would be useless in mud . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #380576 30th Oct 2019 9:03 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Im running Nokian Weatherproof - have been fine all summer - very good in the wet (A rated wet performance) which we get a lot of. Just waiting for the snow to arrive.

But to be fair all our FL2s have been fine in all weathers on their standard tyres. Jules

Post #380584 30th Oct 2019 10:46 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

dunkley201 wrote:
Land Rover Experience run all their vehicles on the tyre they came with, straight out the factory - and they don’t get stuck!Bob

They might not get stuck, but they don't always stop very well though.

My recently purchased FL2 had 2x new budget tyres and 2x worn Scorpion all seasons.
I decided to match the new budget tyres with another two, as I have seen reviews that rate my budget tyres rating as being quite acceptable, and I already own another car with a set of winter wheels if the LR2 is no good in the snow or ice.

Last edited by TooBlue on 2nd Nov 2019 7:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #380590 31st Oct 2019 12:41 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

GG AT3 great on long motorway trips and equally as good on my lanes and fields.

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #380596 31st Oct 2019 9:23 am
BHFL

Follow up question in regards to these recommendations, particularly the general grabber at3’s.
Having looked they don’t seem to make those tyres in a high enough speed rating for my car. I have an SD4 and the manufacturer specified speed rating is v.

I don’t want the faff of updating my insurance so does anyone know of any other similar tyres that might be higher speed rated as the grabber seems to only come on T’s. I am on 18 inch alloys but I might buy some 17s for wider choice.

Post #380600 31st Oct 2019 9:43 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

How severe is the off road driving you need to do?
as said above LR use standard issue tyres
and when I was a Responder with SE4X4R all my off road driving assessments where
done on either standard issue or all weather tyres,
My experience with Nokia Weatherproof was excellent off and on road.....But
they fell apart after two years!! Possible a bad batch as I was refunded
over two thirds cost,
If it's looks your after ie chunky butch types then please remember there's alway a trade off
with grip,
Dave Smile DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #380601 31st Oct 2019 11:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top