Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Absolutely gutted, wheel well swimming in water
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

If you buy and it turns out you don’t like or it’s unreliable or costs too much to run, then get rid of it.

Post #379368 5th Oct 2019 10:27 pm
Vintagecat

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Jack frost wrote:
The high level brake light is a nightmare as it always leaks, your best course of action is to drill a 1/2 hole through the spare wheel space Rolling with laughter

That's a bit of a stupid thing to say, why not just fix the light properly its perfectly doable. Remind me never to buy a car from you if that's how you look after them

Post #379383 6th Oct 2019 9:00 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

CED wrote:
CED wrote:
tenet wrote:
It won't make you feel any better but it happened on my 64 plate fl2 just before the 3 year warranty was up. Thankfully fixed by the dealership with a complete new light assembly. It is obviously a weak point along with diff, clutch, lights etc etc

It would be interesting to see a post of the complete list of all the regular faults that occur on these poorly designed cars.

OK , thats your opinion box brownie , but they are still poor in the reliability department, i have never spent so much on repairs with a car thats only done 44000 miles. so i don't regard it a silly statement.

Try running a Range Rover or Discovery then Rolling with laughter

The FL2 is the most reliable car in LR recent ranges......as above no car is perfect and it has a few well known weak points but overall it is well designed and if the few weak points are sorted when they start to play up it can be even more reliable.

Did you look at the Which or J D Power reliability surveys before purchasing? Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #379385 6th Oct 2019 9:41 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

To paraphrase lots of comments : "You can say what you like about my wife BUT don't you dare criticize my Freelander" Whistle MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #379391 6th Oct 2019 10:15 am
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Come on children, the original post was someone enquiring about a leaky brake light. 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #379398 6th Oct 2019 10:30 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Any specifically designed gaskets (LR will gladly sell you the entire light assembly with gasket).......I am sure I saw a company selling one specific for the Freelander 2 (when I was searching for another part) but I can't seem to find it again?

Last edited by MotionInc on 6th Oct 2019 3:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #379414 6th Oct 2019 2:57 pm
MotionInc

Found it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Freelander-2-High-Level-Brake-Light-Self-Adhesive-Seal-/142585480519

Post #379415 6th Oct 2019 3:12 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The original red CHMSL on ours was still water tight when I changed it for a smoked later version, neither has leaked thankfully and the original looked like it had been there since before the Ark the amount of dirt and dust accumulated behind it.

Anyone want a waterproof original? Laughing Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #379424 6th Oct 2019 5:54 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Vintagecat wrote:
Jack frost wrote:
The high level brake light is a nightmare as it always leaks, your best course of action is to drill a 1/2 hole through the spare wheel space Rolling with laughter

That's a bit of a stupid thing to say, why not just fix the light properly its perfectly doable. Remind me never to buy a car from you if that's how you look after them

Did you really think I was serious Thud Thud Thud

Post #379438 6th Oct 2019 8:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

MotionInc wrote:
Found it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Freelander-2-High-Level-Brake-Light-Self-Adhesive-Seal-/142585480519

Nice easy fix. Jules

Post #379495 7th Oct 2019 7:08 pm
SHAKEYBLADE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Orkney Grey
HLBL

Well after the rain we have had over the last few days, i have had no option but to remove the carpets and take them indoor to dry out.
i have purchase a new seal, supposedly this is an update genuine LR Part, i will fit this over the weekend coming. fingers crossed this works.

Post #379541 8th Oct 2019 4:18 pm
CT1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I have just had to sort this on our 2014 HSE SD4, I used a very thin bead of silcone sealant on the seal, I guess that has done it will check later as my wife is out at the mo. If not I'll buy one of the replacement seals from ebay.

Strangley our 2007 HSE has never suffered with this problem lol. Thumbs Up

Post #382842 17th Dec 2019 10:50 am
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I recently bought a new gasket from Ebay and fitted it, metic ulously cleaning off the light fitting and smearing a layer of vaseline on the car's metal where the gasket fitted as advised. Result - the leak is even worse.

Today I have bought some rubber draught proofing ribbon from B&Q and will fit using silicone spray and/or a bead of silicone sealer in an attempt to sort this. It is VERY frustrating. If that doesn't work then it will a trip to the garag eand another dispropotionately hefty bill to get it sorted.

Whatever anyone says this is a bit of rubbish design along with a few other items that crop up repeatedly for owners. I might enjoy owning and driving my Freelander but it certainly taxes my love of it, not to mention my wallet.

Post #382869 17th Dec 2019 7:29 pm
MotionInc

I bought a new gasket from the UK seller about two months ago.........mine does not leak at all but when I removed and cleaned off the old gasket I noticed a faint raised line at the edges of the inside light assembly. It's pretty important to go right up to the edge of this line with the new gasket, especially at the top and the sides. The sides you can even bow out slightly as the recess this light fixture sits in is curved. Mine does not leak since I replaced the gasket but, what maybe noteworthy, mine only leaked before replacement when I aimed the car wash wand up and at the 3rd brake light at an upward angle. I forgot to use the recommended vaseline but so far so good. It's a shi**y design regardless.

Post #382875 17th Dec 2019 9:42 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

yes, I noticed the thin edging line and THOUGHT I had put the gasket inside and butted up to it but will know for sure when I take it off again and have a look.

I just need it stop raining for 30 minutes when I have the time to look at it again. In the meantime the boot is getting soggy!!

Post #382878 17th Dec 2019 10:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>