« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Chirping noise under dash LR2 2007
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
desert rose

United Arab Emirates 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Lux Auto Tambora Flame
Chirping noise under dash LR2 2007

I've searched many sites and can't find an exact answer to my issue. I have a 2007 LR2 that lives in the desert. A couple of years ago a chirping sound started on the passenger side and it sounds like it's coming from the air vent. Some sites mention the fan in the e-box and others mention a fan blower problem. The dealer (without inspecting it) told me the blower needed to be changed at great expense (of course). The AC still works fine and the noise only occurs when the fans are going. The noise doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but sometimes it's a bit noisier than at other times but I'm not finding a relationship with driving speed. It's sounds like a cricket trilling away under the dash!

Any thoughts from this forum?

Post #291802 27th Feb 2016 8:03 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Is someone trying to Tweet you?

Its probably the heater fan going around slowly, the bearings dry out, maybe if you run it at a faster speed for a period and then turn it back down it might clear it?

Of course the proper answer would be to access it and give it a drop of oil but that could be a bit of a job.

Post #291809 27th Feb 2016 10:38 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I could imagine that you run the fan pretty hard with the heat you have. It's bad enough inside on the wrong side of the airport waiting for a plane!

Maybe the bearings are a bit tired, but more likely it is the motor brushes worn out & scrapping a bit.

Just a thought! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #291815 27th Feb 2016 10:45 am
devondave

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Is it a gecko calling Laughing

Post #291816 27th Feb 2016 10:52 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Oh yes I never noted where they lived Rolling Eyes a cold day there is 30C Laughing

Post #291817 27th Feb 2016 11:00 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I would give the fan a good squirting with lubricant anywhere I could get the nozzle in.

Post #291826 27th Feb 2016 1:10 pm
Lightwater

Dubai 37°C around sunrise last flight to Europe & you can cut the air with a knife.

It will probably will be difficult to get to the blower, but then I have not tried with this car. The bearing & brushes are probably enclosed.

Other options:
1. Ear plugs work very well, I use them on the plane & for jack hammering!
2. Turn up the hi fi, the Freelander's hi fi is very good.

last but not least....

3. Wife whinging will definitely work, you won't hear the fan! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #291903 28th Feb 2016 8:29 am
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi, I have had a squeal coming from my blower fan for the last year. Comes and goes but gradually getting worse. Starts off silent then after 10-15mins off she goes. Going over a pothole can set it off, braking, cornering all manner of things.

I have read lots of threads on this forum with the only answer being replace the fan & motor. This looks like one bar steward of a job.

Then I read a post from someone who said they had checked that their fan was not seized by putting a hand into the air intake just inside the battery cover. I took a look today and sure enough you can get your hand into the intake and spin the fan. You can also see the fan and it's spindle/central cone. This got me thinking if I could just get some oil in there it might lubricate the bearing. Obviously you can't just pour/spray oil into the intake and hope for the best. So, I got a short piece of tube, Approx. 18" long (450mm) about 9mm dia. with an internal of about 6mm. Positioned it through the intake to run just along the top of the spindle/central cone and pushed gently until it would not go any further in. Took a few minutes and was bit of a faff as your hand is in the way of your vision as you do this. Then using 3in1 silicon spray (chose this as it should be okay on all materials) and the extension tube that comes with it and sprayed 3-4 short bursts down the tube leaving a few seconds in between to let the oil flow down. Don't over do it as you don't want too much oil in there. Pulled the tube out, started her up, no more squealing and fan feels like it is working better on full as well. Have done 50 miles since then and nothing. Time will tell if it lasts for any length of time and may not work in all cases but might be worth a go.

Edit: Would probably be easier if the wipers were removed and the panel at the bottom of screen taken off.

Cheers, JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #292910 7th Mar 2016 8:59 pm
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi, its been four months and 6,000 miles since I tried this fix.

Still quiet.

JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #302624 13th Jul 2016 1:44 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That's good to know thank you nice find.

Post #302628 13th Jul 2016 6:15 am
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

JGH99,

Thanks for the tip.

I decided to apply some Silicone spray to mine as well, due to the slight noise that the motor was making.

I decided to access the motor from the glove box side.

Note: the HVAC needs to be set to recirculate to get to the blower motor from inside the vehicle.

I also use a piece of tubing and I sprayed some silicone lubricant into it and I used a blast of compressed air to clear the tube.

I am going to do this every year or two when I change the cabin air filter.

Picture of the blend door closed it needs to be open to get to the fan

Video of how to remove the glove box (Not mine but it is what I used for reference)

Thanks for the tip

Paul

Post #375910 29th Jul 2019 6:19 pm
Max S

Sweden 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi everyone,

Old thread, but let's give it a try:

Would anyone be willing to post a photo showing where the (cabin) air intake actually is located? I have been looking really hard now to find it ("just inside the battery cover"??) and feel a bit stupid to ask, but I really can not locate it...

Thank you and KR
Max

Post #391732 28th May 2020 6:33 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Excellent! I have to try this; I am guessing that the fan is down and to the left if you place your hand into the battery compartment towards where the cabin filter is mounted. I am guessing it's pre filter but will have a look see this weekend. Mine has a very mild squeal under braking.

Post #391733 28th May 2020 7:01 pm
GlynnB

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi everyone,

Old thread, but let's give it a try:

Would anyone be willing to post a photo showing where the (cabin) air intake actually is located? I have been looking really hard now to find it ("just inside the battery cover"??) and feel a bit stupid to ask, but I really can not locate it...

Thank you and KR
Max

The filter is accessed from the footwell in the passenger side of the car (On UK vehicles)so left hand side. Not sure which side on LHD vehicles. Not easy to see. It has a clip on flap with 3 clips and 3 hinges. It sits over the centre transmission tunnel behind the lower dashboard. Silver 2009 HSE

Post #391753 29th May 2020 4:54 am
Lightwater

Fourth photo in this post (I have installed black acoustic insulation around the opening)
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026-54.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #391759 29th May 2020 8:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>