Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Why can’t people merge in turn?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

No you didn’t take evasive action , you jumped a queue . God forbid how any one should impeded your progress to the front Bow down .That’s how the real world works , not the quasi road policing one you keep quoting . I’m surprised that you’ve not forwarded your dash cam footage to the local Plod to get the “buffoons “ removed from the road . Oh of course then that might bring your driving into question too . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #375313 18th Jul 2019 10:03 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter your posts are laughable with nothing to back them up. The information in that video proves I acted appropriately and correctly as per the Highway Code which you refuse to accept.

Here it is in case you missed it.

It was perfectly safe and appropriate to do so as I followed the road markings. I then tried to merge in turn but was met by a series of blockers acting contrary to the code.

These drivers tempers had flared and they were not using both lanes at any point. They lacked courtesy and understanding of the Highway Code with the exception of the guy who let me in with still some of the lane left which meant I had not charged to the very end.

If you want to keep replying with claims of queue jumping with nothing to back it up, carry on. I have proved that my actions conform to the Highway Code. Simple LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #375314 18th Jul 2019 10:34 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Do as you like Doc but pleased be warned I will not give way to any buffon who thinks they have some God given right to be home 15 minutes before anyone else.

Ian totally agree with those M5 lanes Censored Censored Whistle Rolling with laughter

Sheep

Ps.think the Highway code needs updating as there more cars about now from when that was printed. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #375318 18th Jul 2019 10:56 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

If they are one of those tools that drive fast to the very end and try to charge in I can understand frustration but if following the code and road markings at a slow pace, then no.

In any case you should just let them in and carry on about your day. I would even if I disagree with their approach to it.

To actually applaud and approve lane blocking is essentially:

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #375319 18th Jul 2019 11:05 pm
Dartman the one

England 

There is a complete difference between queuing traffic at a merge and queuing traffic at either permanent or temporary lights, the merge will reduce speed if merging is executed before the cones but continue to flow, queue jumping will cause traffic to halt at the cones due to last minute volume causing the inner lane to halt to let the outer lane in. Traffic lights are a different condition as they are there to stop traffic, proceeding down the right hand lane causes that lane to block as well but only apparently shortens the queue, the time is about the same, however should there be turnings right or left then the outside lane should be left for those wishing to turn off thus shortening the queue or for emergency vehicles ( you are supposed to leave a gap at road junctions). Therefore in effect Doc you are a queue jumper not an intelligent road user whatever your excuse or ill considered logic Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #375322 19th Jul 2019 5:12 am
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

The use of all lanes and merging at the pinch point is definitely the most efficient use of the highway, and it's a shame that it is not more widely promoted and standard practice. The problem is that Brits are too polite and ill informed and mostly form a queue at the first indication of the need to narrow. Those that then are in a queue get pushed back by queue jumpers who are more street wise. It's understandable that those in line get upset by those that haven't bothered to --in their view--conform. It unfortunately leads to hooting, shoving and blocking, often way before the pinch point. Think about it; If two lanes are progressing normally and there is warning that traffic needs to merge 1 mile ahead, the traffic MUST slow down to a crawl, zip merge politely and progress in single file. That could be accomplished within half a mile leaving another half mile of completely free outside lane. That is what some consider the correct ideal procedure. But that WILL allow "queue jumpers" to take advantage. How much better to adopt the zip merge at the pinch point which happens anyway (but half mile earlier), makes full use of the highway, eliminates frustrated tempers and the perceived need for blocking.

Post #375324 19th Jul 2019 6:22 am
Dartman the one

England 

The pinch point is too late as the outside lane will halt, it must be attempted before the 300m warning and comleted by the 100m warning, however that won't work at traffic lights as the lights are there to halt traffic. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #375325 19th Jul 2019 6:42 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

At slip roads and the like I will let folk merge one car in front of me but when, as happened the other day a buffon comes across chevrons to get in before her turn then NOPE same as approaching closed lanes and speeding to the end NOPE.

each to their own.

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #375329 19th Jul 2019 7:56 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Dartman, you have misunderstood. The 2 lanes do not lead to traffic lights directly. There’s a dual carriageway up the hill which eventually becomes a single carriageway as the build up to a 30 zone begins. Once in the 30 zone, there’s still some more time to go before the lights. As they were temporary lights, traffic was worse than normal and had backed up all the way past the 30 zone and all the way back down the hill on the dual carriageway.

Nobody had bothered using the overtaking lane for its entire duration which would have shortened the queue way back in the dip where a turn off is. I did the appropriate thing as per the Highway Code and used the overtaking lane at a steady pace. No charging at speed and barging in.

I reached the first arrow road marking and stopped in a position where I could safely merge once traffic moved. Then the blocking brigade started so I had to try further on with some lane still available. If the cars in the inside lane had acted appropriately, they could have just let me merge and job done.

It is only queue jumping in the eyes of those who do not know how to use the lanes appropriately and merge accordingly. It is factually wrong to leave an entire lane completely empty and cause a longer queue.

Once the lights changed, there was ample flow before the next red light to allow zip merging but of course we cannot allow anyone to get one car in front. We must not allow someone to ‘queue jump’ and follow the actual Highway Code advice. We must stop them at all costs by almost crashing into the car in front in order to block them out. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #375330 19th Jul 2019 8:16 am
Dartman the one

England 

It really depends on where the warning of the lights are in that case, whilst making your case on here, would you chance your arm in court with the expectation of costs being awarded against you if you fail in your explanation. That is where your explanation may or may not fail. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #375334 19th Jul 2019 9:05 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

It must have been a recent breakdown of the lights as the first I knew of it was when I eventually reached them and saw workers in high vis at the scene. No advanced signage even in the 30 zone. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #375335 19th Jul 2019 9:09 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Paul4751 wrote:
The use of all lanes and merging at the pinch point is definitely the most efficient use of the highway, and it's a shame that it is not more widely promoted and standard practice. The problem is that Brits are too polite and ill informed and mostly form a queue at the first indication of the need to narrow. Those that then are in a queue get pushed back by queue jumpers who are more street wise. It's understandable that those in line get upset by those that haven't bothered to --in their view--conform. It unfortunately leads to hooting, shoving and blocking, often way before the pinch point. Think about it; If two lanes are progressing normally and there is warning that traffic needs to merge 1 mile ahead, the traffic MUST slow down to a crawl, zip merge politely and progress in single file. That could be accomplished within half a mile leaving another half mile of completely free outside lane. That is what some consider the correct ideal procedure. But that WILL allow "queue jumpers" to take advantage. How much better to adopt the zip merge at the pinch point which happens anyway (but half mile earlier), makes full use of the highway, eliminates frustrated tempers and the perceived need for blocking.

Sense at last! I can now see that the merging must occur somewhere before the obstruction, we are argueing over how far up the road it takes place.

Perhaps it would be better if we all cooperated, and tried to see things from the other's point of view.
It is probably better adjust our own behaviour, to match the situation, than try to control all the other road users around us. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #375337 19th Jul 2019 9:25 am
MartynB

The Doctor wrote:
Rolling with laughter your posts are laughable with nothing to back them up. The information in that video proves I acted appropriately and correctly as per the Highway Code which you refuse to accept.

Click image to enlarge

It was perfectly safe and appropriate to do so as I followed the road markings. I then tried to merge in turn but was met by a series of blockers acting contrary to the code.

These drivers tempers had flared and they were not using both lanes at any point. They lacked courtesy and understanding of the Highway Code with the exception of the guy who let me in with still some of the lane left which meant I had not charged to the very end.

If you want to keep replying with claims of queue jumping with nothing to back it up, carry on. I have proved that my actions conform to the Highway Code. Simple
 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #375338 19th Jul 2019 9:28 am
MartynB

The Doctor wrote:

Click image to enlarge

If you want to keep replying with claims of queue jumping with nothing to back it up, carry on. I have proved that my actions conform to the Highway Code. Simple
 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #375339 19th Jul 2019 9:28 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I think Martyn put his finger on it upthread talking about static and dynamic merging. If as you said a queue had already formed (static) then I would contend that you were driving out with the road conditions especially as you were familiar with the route and as such should have joined the end of the queue. Conversely if the traffic was moving then indeed the inside lane drivers were acting selfishly in not letting you in.

Mention was made about police,again upthread. Some years ago I was trying to exit Cobham services onto a gridlocked M25. We had spent the best part of an hour in the exit queue before we reached the merging lane. A small gap appeared and I entered the M25 in front of a traffic police car. Next thing the police blue lighted me and threatened me with a ticket for pulling onto the highway without signalling. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #375342 19th Jul 2019 9:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>