Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Why can’t people merge in turn?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The beginning of the queue was crawling along and further up there was movement whenever the lights changed and the flow began. Could have merged successfully very easily, safely and slowly if not for blockers LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #375343 19th Jul 2019 9:54 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Your story changes more times than Kylie does in concert . Let’s have the dashcam footage to prove you are not a queue jumping cockwomble Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #375346 19th Jul 2019 10:18 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Oh run along. The only cockwombles are those who cannot accept the Highway Code guidance and say that leaving a lane completely unused is good and that blocking people is also good.

I wonder who that could be... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #375349 19th Jul 2019 11:21 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Sounds like the Doc knows that he made a mistake and is annoyed with himself, but is trying gain some support ? 😄😄

Iain

Post #375427 20th Jul 2019 12:15 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

No mistake here. Any simple research shows arguments to the contrary are comedy gold Laughing

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/zip-merging/

http://blog.greenflag.com/2019/the-zip-merging-debate/ LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #375429 20th Jul 2019 12:21 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The original question was about merging (like a zip) when road narrows. I still believe that the answer is yes.

The overall purpose of travelling is to get to your destination safely and in a reasonable time. There is enough hassle on the road without making life worse by either, cutting in last moment, or driving to block someone joining the traffic lane.

If we do not use all the lanes available, and drive to smooth the traffic flow, we will all get to our destinations slower.

A tip for those who feel that they must be at the front of the queue --- Slow Down.
For years I had to travel around (mainly) Southern England for my job. I was always coming up to the backs of queues.
Then I retired, slowed down, and now I am often at the front of my own queue. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 20th Jul 2019 4:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #375448 20th Jul 2019 3:30 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Because the general driving public are “stupid” and have not respect for others. So there I said it! easy!🙄
Oh btw, that’s world wide ! MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #375454 20th Jul 2019 3:51 pm
MartynB

iain cooper wrote:
Sounds like the Doc knows that he made a mistake and is annoyed with himself, but is trying gain some support ? 😄😄

Iain

100% correct . He hasn't got the Censored to look at himself and think that he behaved like at Censored .

The only joyous fact is that with such an attitude that he is infallible in every driving situation , one day he will probably come into physical contact with another vehicle/ motorist . Even then he will be righteous whether the damage is to his car or his nose , because the Highway Code section 134 is his bible ,and will probably know off by heart the law on road rage and common assault ( unfortunately knows now't about common sense, awareness and dynamic risk assessment) . It's a knocking bet we won't get to see the dashcam when that happens .

It's interesting that he isn't getting the universal response he wanted , but he's not going to learn anything from that is he , because he's the Doctor .... He's always right ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #375458 20th Jul 2019 5:12 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dont overtake queues, unless that lane is going elsewere, its just rude.

Simple manners, no need to quote highway code blah blah, Use the rules of life, Not twist a rule book to suit your needs.

faceplant At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #375459 20th Jul 2019 5:24 pm
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

What’s sadly lacking on today’s roads is courtesy. Few motorists let you out at junctions. Instead they would rather block it so no one gets in front of them. Too many in too big a hurry. Just yesterday I had a guy in a Golf sit on my bumper trying to overtake on a single carriageway road. There was eventually a gap in oncoming traffic for him to overtake which he did only to travel about 300 yards then turn left.

As for two lanes merging into one there is always loads of prior notice unless it’s an RTC. There is no excuse for drivers racing up the outside lane to the point where the lane is no longer wide enough for their car and then try to force their way in. It’s called road craft - read the signs and the road ahead, anticipate what other drivers might do, indicate early etc.

I would rather get there safely and five minutes late than never arrive.

My father gave me a great piece of advice when I was a learner - treat every other road user like an idiot.

Oh and the Highway Code is mostly guidance not law.

Post #375460 20th Jul 2019 6:13 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

MartynB wrote:
iain cooper wrote:

Iain

100% correct . He hasn't got the Censored to look at himself and think that he behaved like at Censored .

The only joyous fact is that with such an attitude that he is infallible in every driving situation , one day he will probably come into physical contact with another vehicle/ motorist . Even then he will be righteous whether the damage is to his car or his nose , because the Highway Code section 134 is his bible ,and will probably know off by heart the law on road rage and common assault ( unfortunately knows now't about common sense, awareness and dynamic risk assessment) . It's a knocking bet we won't get to see the dashcam when that happens .

It's interesting that he isn't getting the universal response he wanted , but he's not going to learn anything from that is he , because he's the Doctor .... He's always right !

Rolling with laughter

You are a joke. Why don’t you do everyone a favour and Censored off

Your posts have no foundation. I’ve proved you wrong and you keep advocating violating the rules of the road. Absolutely priceless Rolling with laughter LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #375464 20th Jul 2019 6:33 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I would avoid starting to attack one and other personally, and stick to the question in hand.

Please, as this is an interesting thread.

Today I noticed on a main road near Glastonbury, that the road had been deliberately widened to 2 lanes at a traffic light controlled junction for a couple of hundred yards only. I take it that this had been done to increase and ease the flow during the green phase. Without people using this lane, and then merging back, the traffic management planning (and cost) will have been a waste of time. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #375474 20th Jul 2019 6:58 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Yes Ian but that is a dynamic situation whereas the doc was in a static situation - major difference. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #375476 20th Jul 2019 7:13 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

There’s no difference at all. People who leave a lane empty are wrong. FACT not opinion. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #375477 20th Jul 2019 7:15 pm
MartynB

The Doctor wrote:
MartynB wrote:
iain cooper wrote:

Iain

It's interesting that he isn't getting the universal response he wanted , but he's not going to learn anything from that is he , because he's the Doctor .... He's always right !

Rolling with laughter

You are a joke. Why don’t you do everyone a favour and Censored off

Your posts have no foundation. I’ve proved you wrong and you keep advocating violating the rules of the road. Absolutely priceless Rolling with laughter

I certainly won’t Censored off Oh great galactic law bringer .... but what I do know is that when a person resorts to telling another to Censored off then they generally know that have lost the arguement

I represent the Sheep and Buffoons whom you despise , I am the tip of their spear to burst your balloon of legal quoting pomposity Thumbs Up

Ps have you actually counted up how many people disagree with you ??? 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #375481 20th Jul 2019 8:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>