Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Dunce driving a ford
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I used to put all my wet SCUBA gear in the back of the TD5 and if some salty water got into the wheelwell then I just hosed out through the drain plugs.

Cant see me wanting to do that in a EV unless everything is very well sealed and someone has done it before - successfully Very Happy Jules

Post #373776 19th Jun 2019 10:15 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Maybe its just Toyota/Lexus then.......but the battery pack in the BMW are sealed against moisture/water ingress hence the need for a enclosed cooling/heating system for the pack, there is no air in and out. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #373792 19th Jun 2019 5:44 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"correct me if im wrong but are only certain garages are licensed to work on the power train side of EV due to the high voltages/currents being used ?

I know any garage can work on the mechanical side of them but I would hate to think of some of the garages round here working on the electrics Shocked"

Sadly technically NO ! from an insurance point of view or in the event of a death the garage will have an issue if they are not Ev trained.

There are various levels of training from safety only, too working on the HV side whilst the vehicle is live.
Having been in the industry for over 44 years im shocked at how complacent garages are and they do not understand the dangers of EVs

Even training candidates on Hybrids and Ev's can be a challenge as the younger ones tend to be so complacent.
Taking an EV course a few weeks ago and running through the shut down procedure a candidate then went further to access the HV cables and probe the HV cables , under supervision without making the most basic of tests first and that was to test the CAt 3 multimeter to ensure it worked. As it happened I set them up with a faulty one and the guy probed the cables and confirmed zero voltage at which point I moved him away and used another meter to prove there was still 189 line voltage even after 5 mins of complete shut down. I must admit that shook them all up and focused the mind a little more!

Regarding water ingress there are strict regulations and categories regarding HV and water ingress and these are mostly rated at 6 or 8 so should be water tight under pressure BUT you have no idea on vehicle history and who's poked around before and rubber seals deteriorate like everything else.
The electric system monitors electrical voltage leak off and can shut down the battery relays to make the vehicle safe should it suffer water ingress so fingers crossed it always works.
BMW i3 has a wading depth of 25cm. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #373798 19th Jun 2019 9:38 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

cheers for that OG... makes me even more determined to hold off on buying any form of EV just yet.

couple of anecdotes from past shocking experiences...

when I joined the Royal Signals in 1985 we had to complete basic signalling skills, and these included operating an old fashioned plug and jack lead 40/160 (?) switchboard. If we connected 2 callers together and pressed the ringing toggle switch the wrong way, so as to buzz back into the callers ear instead of ringing the far end, the instructor would make us hold the jack lead in our hand and toggle the switch so giving us offenders a short sharp shock... we soon learnt!! Laughing

but the more dangerous was when teaching basic phase 2 trainees how to set up comms sites in the field. They would connect the power to our 20Kva 3 phase generator, then leave the LIVE cable lying in the wet grass or rain while they did something else. No amount of guidance in any format ( Whistle ) would make some of them change their ways but unfortunately we still had to sign off many of them to be fit for posting to working units in Germany or UK. I used to wonder how many of them received ''field tuition'' when they made the same mistakes on operations or exercises.

Post #373804 20th Jun 2019 7:36 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes there’s a reason electricians are called sparky’s.

Post #373805 20th Jun 2019 7:44 am
Boxbrownie

As I said, mainly to ensure parts don’t get ripped off under below! Thumbs Up

Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #373809 20th Jun 2019 9:14 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Rogb
"cheers for that OG... makes me even more determined to hold off on buying any form of EV just yet. "

& for people spending money buying them, its like vegans secretly eating meat !

So whats needed to charge the electric cars LOL

So here's our back up supply from the national grid ! 25 of them so far across the country

Rolling with laughter Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #373830 20th Jun 2019 7:28 pm
Boxbrownie

You really have a Bee in your bonnet about this don’t you? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #373837 20th Jun 2019 9:44 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I worked on electric forklifts for 20 years, 80V batteries that would supply 800 amps for over an hour constantly.

Training for mechanical guys working on these vehicles consisted of "be careful" and here's your van keys.
Granted not a couple of hundred volts, but at that level the danger is as great. I did see one horrific accident where a guy lost a hand by touching the battery cables together, but far more injuries caused by mechanical mistakes such as trapped limbs/digits.

Is it because apprenticships are becoming more specific that skilled guys are now afraid of touching anything they haven't been specifically trained on?, I know that the first year apprentices in my day (60 this year), had to cover all the basic skills, so everyone had to do a spell on the lathes, welding, basic electrics, monotinous filing of lumps of metal, and milling machines.

The guy who lost his hand by the way was a qualified sparky with over 15 years expierience taking a shortcut. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #373840 20th Jun 2019 11:13 pm
Boxbrownie

Exactly, you cannot train complacency out of somebody.

My first experience of metalwork was at school when I was eleven, making a hinge out of sheet.....next lesson was welding, and the metalwork teacher had hands like shovels and spoke with a strange language somebody said was from up north, bloody great bloke Laughing

Thumbs Up Regards

David

Post #373860 21st Jun 2019 9:39 am
Guyjames

United Kingdom 

As a friend of mine would say - "they walk among us"! Laughing

Post #373952 23rd Jun 2019 4:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12