Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Auto Gearbox Oil Change TD4 MY07-12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 21 <123 ... 678 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I'm thinking of doing a series of dump and fills on my 2012 2.2 SD4 Evoque as preventative maintenance. It's done approx. 53,000 miles. I assume it should have the same 'box as a 2012 FL2 so I think I'll need the JWS 3324 fluid for mine, is that correct? I was looking at this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATF-LV-Syntheti...%7Ciid%3A1

Have I got that right? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #364459 23rd Jan 2019 10:31 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Just in case it helps someone, I had some violent jerking on gear changes a few months back and decided to do a few dump and fills of the auto-box. As I needed the car sorted quickly, I went into my local Toyota Main Dealer and they had the T-IV on the shelf @ £64 for 5 litres - (Expensive yes but if your desperate to get the car sorted it may be a worthwhile option). FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #364481 23rd Jan 2019 6:45 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Steve D wrote:
I'm thinking of doing a series of dump and fills on my 2012 2.2 SD4 Evoque as preventative maintenance. It's done approx. 53,000 miles. I assume it should have the same 'box as a 2012 FL2 so I think I'll need the JWS 3324 fluid for mine, is that correct? I was looking at this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATF-LV-Syntheti...%7Ciid%3A1

Have I got that right?

It will tell you in your handbook what gearbox ATF specification is required. But I use that ATF (JWS 3324) too. In fact I get all my lubricants from Smith & Allan - including the 20/50 for my Series 3. Jules

Post #364488 23rd Jan 2019 8:21 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Yes, thanks Jules. I’ve been on to them today after posting on here and they confirm that that’s the oil for my car so I’m ordering 20 litres of it tomorrow. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #364494 23rd Jan 2019 9:38 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Pedro wrote:
Just in case it helps someone, I had some violent jerking on gear changes a few months back and decided to do a few dump and fills of the auto-box. As I needed the car sorted quickly, I went into my local Toyota Main Dealer and they had the T-IV on the shelf @ £64 for 5 litres - (Expensive yes but if your desperate to get the car sorted it may be a worthwhile option).

Did it cure your problems? Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #364499 23rd Jan 2019 10:24 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

No but a new crankshaft position sensor did !

Car is 9 years old and was on the original autobox fluid so wont have done any harm ! FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #364556 24th Jan 2019 7:09 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Worth a watch if you are contemplating oils for your gearbox.

Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #364563 24th Jan 2019 9:27 pm
alex_pescaru

^^^ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #364570 24th Jan 2019 11:02 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Hmmm So says the Amsoil rep. He would do! I'm going by Jules recommendation above and bought from Smith & Allen and I'll just have to trust what it says on the label. I bought my Haldex oil from Bell Engineering and as far as I know, it wasn't a branded product. Granted, Mobil, Shell, Castrol, Amsoil are more expensive but I put a lot of that down to their advertising budget. Fingers crossed! Laughing Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #364617 25th Jan 2019 3:29 pm
jules

Smith & Allan have been around since 1925 and are a Shell oil distributor.

I bought my Haldex oil from Bell too - it comes in a plain unlabelled plastic bottle - its the stuff inside it that counts though. Jules

Post #364620 25th Jan 2019 5:01 pm
arcturus28

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Finally got around to doing a dump and fill- wow what a difference it’s made! The fluid that came out was black; I’m positive it’s never been done before on my 2007 because it took two extension bars and a breaker bar to get the filler cap off.

Initially I thought it was wishful thinking when I took it for a drive afterwards but gear changes are almost imperceptible now. When in manual mode I had to check the dashboard to see if it actually changed gear! It wasn’t horrendous beforehand but you’d certainly notice the gear changes. Would never have thought just 3L of new fluid could make such a difference.

Well worth the effort, thanks everyone. Very Happy

Post #366005 9th Feb 2019 7:30 pm
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White

alex_pescaru wrote:
How can you manage to remove 3.6 liters when myself and many others, after a previous filling with a proper level check, couldn't manage to drain more than 3 liters ?... Very Happy
Indeed, no lift from the side, but 0.6 liters from a side lift...
Could be boxes for gasoline different than the ones for diesel?

Hi Alex, I'm too using simple drain and fill method. I've been doing it for the last 4 years and I always get around 3.8L out (plus or minus 0.01L). I bought the vehicle when it was 12 months old and soon after that had the gearbox replaced under warranty. From that point forward I've always changed transmission fluid every 10,000km. So when I did my first change (and I keep records) 3.88L drained.

A few years back I mentioned to you that I corresponded via email with a senior Aisin technician regarding fluid change procedure. What he suggested, and that's exactly what I've been doing, is to basically make sure that both old and new fluids are at same temperature before you do it. So I typically drag my 20L Mobil 3309 drum into my garage the night before and plant it next to the car. The following day (~15-20 hours later) I drain the fluid and measure the exact volume. That's it. I've attached a photo of old and new fluid from a few years back, and a poster from Aisin. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #366098 10th Feb 2019 2:01 pm
alex_pescaru

So you put back the same amount you drain, right? In this way, if initially was slightly overfilled, it's understandable. Especially if you do it when cold (next day, as you say).
But did you take it for a spin and when box's oil is at about 60 degrees C, unscrew the level plug (center one) to see if some oil drips?

Post #366116 10th Feb 2019 5:27 pm
jules

Why did they choose 60C ?
Ive used my OBD2 Torque Pro to monitor both coolant temp and ATF temp from a cold start up. They rise fairly rapidly over a few miles, in unison to 80c, This means to my mind that you cant assume its at the correct temp to assess the ATF level by just going out and driving for a few miles, you need to measure the ATF temp.

Anybody got any thoughts on this ? Jules

Post #366119 10th Feb 2019 5:54 pm
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White

alex_pescaru wrote:
So you put back the same amount you drain, right? In this way, if initially was slightly overfilled, it's understandable. Especially if you do it when cold (next day, as you say).
But did you take it for a spin and when box's oil is at about 60 degrees C, unscrew the level plug (center one) to see if some oil drips?

Yes, the same amount went back in. I did try getting the transmission to 60C and unscrewing the level plug but lots of AFT came gushing out, a lot more than I expected to see. So I replaced the plug, measured the amount that drained out and refilled. And have been using this method for the last 4 years.

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...mb_ATF.jpg
Click image to enlarge

MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #366169 11th Feb 2019 1:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 21 <123 ... 678 ... 192021>