« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Aftermarket navigation screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Photos when finished please Gecko!

Smile '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #14226 14th Feb 2008 6:50 pm
nickkuts

Bulgaria 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Nazca Sand

Gecko wrote:
Pioneer have a hard disk navi/entertainment system that replaces the factory fitted radio CD with the Pioneer system so it mounts lower down in the dash board and leaves the high up position as a general cubby hole for storing 'stuff' Wink
I have one being fitted in my FL2 next month. I am transferring it from my old car into the FL2 .

Have tried this position of the screen in actual driving situations?
I find it uneasy to look at and orientate in such a steep angle...Kenwwood DNX is a similar solution but the lower part of FL2 dashboard is not enough inclined to have the screen well visible...my personal opinion....
what do u think?.....

Post #14265 15th Feb 2008 2:19 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

nickkuts wrote:
Gecko wrote:
Pioneer have a hard disk navi/entertainment system that replaces the factory fitted radio CD with the Pioneer system so it mounts lower down in the dash board and leaves the high up position as a general cubby hole for storing 'stuff' Wink
I have one being fitted in my FL2 next month. I am transferring it from my old car into the FL2 .

Have tried this position of the screen in actual driving situations?
I find it uneasy to look at and orientate in such a steep angle...Kenwwood DNX is a similar solution but the lower part of FL2 dashboard is not enough inclined to have the screen well visible...my personal opinion....
what do u think?.....

Fair comment but I have it in almost the exact same position in my Merc today so it will be the same as before for me . Also the Pioneer system allows you to change the tilt of the screen so when you set it it stays in that position each time you turn it on. The system talks to me so I am used to only glancing at the screen now so having it lower down makes it less likely I am going to be looking at it - rather than looking at the road ahead. I have a Garmin 60c mounted on my motorcycle which is in a head up position in my line of sight - I don't have the voice system on that so I need to see it without taking my eyes off the road.

I have pics from the Pioneer instalation guide in a pdf doc but not sure how to post them on here . It's very neat and looks good... honest !

Post #14388 19th Feb 2008 5:57 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Gecko wrote:
Fair comment but I have it in almost the exact same position in my Merc today so it will be the same as before for me . Also the Pioneer system allows you to change the tilt of the screen so when you set it it stays in that position each time you turn it on. The system talks to me so I am used to only glancing at the screen now so having it lower down makes it less likely I am going to be looking at it - rather than looking at the road ahead. I have a Garmin 60c mounted on my motorcycle which is in a head up position in my line of sight - I don't have the voice system on that so I need to see it without taking my eyes off the road.

I have pics from the Pioneer instalation guide in a pdf doc but not sure how to post them on here . It's very neat and looks good... honest !

Let me know once it's fitted, becouse I'm thinking of the same solution.
Also let me know if you can still use all the buttons on the steeringweel.
Thirdly, tell me if you already have a factory fitted satnav or not, as I think the kenwood solution needs it to be able to install it.

Last but not least, Kenwood has a similar system with cheaper card upgrades (Garmin) so if you don't loose the functions on the steering wheel, it might even be a better solution.

Post #35262 22nd Jan 2009 3:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

I'm looking for a setup like this: cubbybox display like the original post + 2-din radio replacement.
The system should have at least radio, cd, mp3, dvd, bluetooth, usb, navigation.

Functionality would be like this:

1. Steeringwheel support (not for phone as I do not have the buttons) + front and rear sensors should still work.

2. Useage:

a. Just a music source below + nothing in cubby: standard daily use.

b. Nav on top, music source below: when I'm going somewhere I don't know directions to.

c. Music source below through speakers, dvd through headphones on top: when I'm driving to a far destination but know where I'm going (parents live 1.5 hours away) and our son is on the backseats.

d. Nav below + music source through speakers, dvd through headphones on top: when I'm driving to a far destination and out son is on the backseats. For instance driving to a holiday destination.

e. Dvd on top through speakers: which I'm doing when I'm waiting on my son, which I seem to be doing a lot Neutral

3. Sources: my son seems to have a lot of movies on a usb stick and I have a bluetooth phone, so I would like it if it is supported. I like to listen to the radio a lot, but play mostly mp3's when on vacation outside the country. We mostly go to Italy through France and I don't speak French or Italian.

Anyone savvy enough to advice me on something like this?

PS I cannot fit a roof system as I'm having a sunroof, but I was thinking if it were possible to fit a single-din system whith the 7" screen popping out on the roof. If you fit it upside down and turn the screen upside down in it's casing as wel as the function buttons, you'd have a very compact roof system. All you need is to build a nice looking casing for it... just thinking out loud.

Click image to enlarge

Post #35679 28th Jan 2009 10:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234