« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What a day!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanB9

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
What a day!

Yesterday I took my FL2 to the dealer, Stratstone in Durham, to get its leaky sunroof fixed. I gave the car a good wash before going, and discovered that it leaked from the high level stop light too.
Originally the dealer had said that it would be a quick job as there was a known problem with sunroof drain tubes, and there was a recall in place for them.
Anyway, I dropped the car off at 8:30, and eventually got it back at 5:00, but without new drain clips, which it apparently needs, and without the high level stop light being fixed!
However on the plus side it has had a new heater, a software download and the handbrake tightened up. Oddly the software seems to have improved the engine response, which is nice.
So next week it should get its new drain tube clips and a new stop light. And then all will be right with the world.

Post #34263 9th Jan 2009 10:55 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dont bother with the dealer just add some 2-T oil to your tank and all the other problems will be cured Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34272 9th Jan 2009 1:38 pm
freebo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Myself and a couple of other forum members use Team Valley Land Rover for servicing and repairs, they've been good and very well priced (fully LR approved).

If you stick with Stratstone at least get a quote for Team Valley & ask Stratstone to price match, they told me that they will do so, I suspect only if you ask though. We're not talking penuts either, more than £100 difference in 1st service costs, and they also give you a fully insured courtesy car.

HTH,

Mike

Post #34277 9th Jan 2009 2:34 pm
IanB9

Thanks for the pointer to independent dealers, but it was all wanrranty/recall work, so free. Other than the hassle.

Post #34281 9th Jan 2009 3:55 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue
Re: What a day!

IanB9 wrote:
Yesterday I took my FL2 to the dealer, Stratstone in Durham, ... However on the plus side it has had a new heater, a software download and the handbrake tightened up.

Interesting, I took mine to Stratstone in Swansea yesterday for the heater recall (and a new wing mirror, totally my fault unfortunately Sad ) and they tightened up my handbrake too. I wonder if there is a new checklist item for that, as I don't recall it ever happening on my previous FL1.

It took me by surprise at the first hill start on my way home, when my handbrake handle only moved a couple of inches!

- Dick

Post #34288 9th Jan 2009 4:47 pm
Hunter1

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just to let you know, Team Valley Land Rover is a Land Rover approved service centre so all warranty work is done. I have had sunroof recall and heater recall done here with no problems very efficient Very Happy , would not entertain Stratstone!
Also booked my precious in for 2nd service later this month. Current 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Black 2016 Onwards
Previous 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Sumatra black 2007 - 2016 Gone but never forgotten!

Post #34313 9th Jan 2009 8:04 pm
edh

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I had the heater recall work done and they did the handbrake as well - do you think there's something LR aren't telling us? Shocked (Or maybe they are just providing a great service?!) 08 Santorini Black HSE manual with DAB and privacy glass

Post #34340 10th Jan 2009 12:08 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Funny you should mention the handbrake. Mine was also adjusted when it went in for the new heater Confused ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34348 10th Jan 2009 2:29 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

So Stratstone Swansea tightened up my handbrake, but it seems they also forgot to reconnect my gear stick properly.

Setting off on the return from a (thankfully short) trip I found I couldn't select 2nd or 4th - it felt like there was just nothing there. I managed to get it to a friend's house on 1st and 3rd and called LRA from there. It took the engineer 5 minutes to refit the cables.

I've had no problems with Stratstone in the past, and service pricing has been comparable with quotes mentioned on here. I shall be having words with them on Monday, I think.

- Dick

Post #34359 10th Jan 2009 5:46 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

Regarding tightening of the handbrake during / in connection with the PTC heater recall operation. There is a hint in the FL2 Forum in Germany (unfortunately in German only) http://www.blacklandy.de/blboard/for...t=29818&page=8

An interested FL2 owner made some pictures during the PTC heater replacement at the dealer and described as follows: For getting access to the PTC heater unit, tubes, wiring, obviously the console (?) in the middle and the handle for the handbrake system have to be removed. When re-assembling this and fixing the handbrake cable, the handbrake it is re-adjusted then by the mechanics. Thus, it is part of the procedure they have to go through.

Post #34394 11th Jan 2009 11:24 am
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

I forgot to write:
Best regards
FreeGreen

Post #34395 11th Jan 2009 11:25 am
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I also had the "no 2nd/4th gears" issue when my heater was replaced - only found out once I was on the one-way road system leaving the dealers Shocked On returning to the dealer was told "no idea how that can happen!" Took best part of an hour to get it fixed, so not as efficent as your call-out engineer.

How thoroughly do we need to check our cars once the dealers have done any work - a full PDI on handover Evil or Very Mad

dick wrote:
So Stratstone Swansea tightened up my handbrake, but it seems they also forgot to reconnect my gear stick properly.

Setting off on the return from a (thankfully short) trip I found I couldn't select 2nd or 4th - it felt like there was just nothing there. I managed to get it to a friend's house on 1st and 3rd and called LRA from there. It took the engineer 5 minutes to refit the cables.

I've had no problems with Stratstone in the past, and service pricing has been comparable with quotes mentioned on here. I shall be having words with them on Monday, I think.

- Dick

Post #34399 11th Jan 2009 11:56 am
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mines in in the morning for PTC to be sorted.
Useful feedback from above will ensure that I run the gearbox through all gears before leaving the dealers industrial estate Wink FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #34431 11th Jan 2009 6:22 pm
IanB9

Irritatingly mine is back to Stratstones tomorrow to get the leaky sunroof fixed. It seem they fixed everything but that first time through!!!

Post #34563 13th Jan 2009 1:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1