Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Salomon walking shoes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I have had my right ankle fused due to arthritis and have difficulty finding comfortable shoes/boots. Just discovered Skechers walking boots and they are the most comfortable I have ever worn. Possibly not suited to hard core mountain pass walking but up and down the grassy slopes of the Cotswolds perfect. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #338042 27th Dec 2017 10:59 am
D99

England 

I've got a pair of Salomon walking shoes and boots, both are very light but also feel sturdy, if i remember, they don't use vibram soles but their own version which appears to grip well but wears slightly quicker, both of mine are goretex and have not leaked. I do a bit of photography around the Lake District and spend plenty of time stood in water at the edge of lakes / shallow streams and have had no probs, if i'm not walking to far or on challenging terrain i also swear by my Muck Boots.

Post #338085 27th Dec 2017 10:41 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Popped down to the shops today and wasn’t impressed by any of the offerings. Mountain Warehouse only have their own brand and I’ve been there and done that a few years ago (awful quality). Tog24 only had Hi-Tec, Sole Trader only had Merrell (got those now and not particularly impressed) and Craghoppers only had Regatta.

I’ll try Rockfall’s showroom when they re-open in the new year. They are near me and make their own stuff and stock brands and such as Salomon. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #338121 28th Dec 2017 7:07 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I’m going to head over to Bakewell on New Years Day to visit Cotswold Outdoor. I can get a 10% discount with my blue light card so I’ll see what’s available. I can also get 10% at Rohan but their stuff is more expensive. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #338138 29th Dec 2017 12:07 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Doc, If you see any footwear you like in an independent supplier, then it might be worth mentioning the Blue Light Card as you may be given matching discount,three years back I was were staying in Cumbria and brought a pair of Merrell's from an indie who was not registered with the BL card but matched the discount rate.
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #338155 29th Dec 2017 11:54 am
2herring

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

If you are a member of the National Trust, then Cotswold give 15% discount. That is if you can find a member of staff to serve as they offer terrible customer service or perhaps we are just unlucky with our local store. On Salomons, I would avoid as I bought some X Ultra Mid 2 GTX boots and the soles have little grip on mud, wet grass, concrete, just about any surface you want to grip onto. A hard day walking in the Mournes resulted in me covered in mud from so many falls and my wife in hysterics as I was never vertical for very long. She in her Scarpa's stayed upright and mud free.

Post #338156 29th Dec 2017 12:12 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Duly noted chaps Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #338193 29th Dec 2017 6:29 pm
Largered

"If you are a member of the National Trust, then Cotswold give 15% discount."

For those in Scotland ...... you will need to be a member of the Scottish National Trust ........ yes they have their own.

Post #338194 29th Dec 2017 6:39 pm
Dippy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Another vote for Altberg here. Had my current pair for 5 years now and are worn for work as well as dog walking. Fit like a pair of slippers. Soles are getting ready but after 5 years of constant use I can't complain. Also, Altberg offer a re soling service which I may take them up on. Depending on which service you are in for your blue light card then you can get 30+% off. Wouldn't wear anything else now. Factory is up at Richmond North Yorks and they offer a fitting service of you go there (available in various widths). MY11 SD4 HSE.

Post #338248 30th Dec 2017 6:21 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Completely waterproof. Went for a beach walk in mine today.

Yep, waterproof right up until it comes over the top. Doh! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #338364 1st Jan 2018 3:16 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I've also got a pair of Altberg boots and they are brilliant for big hikes.
For more general dog walking stuff I use cheap Karrimor waterproof shoes, they last well enough and i wear them quite a lot!
Also have a pair of north face hedgehog fastpacks that are over a year old, they have lost their waterproofing but nothing a wash in wont cure. they're still comfy as hell and my first choice for anything in between dog walks and big hikes.

Post #338367 1st Jan 2018 4:33 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Well after much deliberation and trying on of shoes in Cotswold Outdoors and Millets today, I decided on these from Salomon (from Cotswold). Very comfortable and went for a size 10 in the end. 2 year guarantee from the store too Thumbs Up

They will be fine for my usage as I’ve got a pair of leather mid boots (fully waterproof) for when the weather and terrain turns a bit more foul!

Click image to enlarge
 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #338368 1st Jan 2018 4:56 pm
Bibendum

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

dan55 wrote:
I’ve had a few pairs of Salomon boots and shoes. They’re light and very comfortable but not particularly long lasting. More than ok for damp walks if you get the Goretex ones. Wouldn’t use them in soakin conditions though or long wet grass. Stick to leather for that.

I'll second that

Post #338388 1st Jan 2018 10:13 pm
Bibendum

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

Doh - that reply was a bit late!

Enjoy the Lab - don't forget that they need short walks until they are one though as their hips aren't fully developed.

Post #338389 1st Jan 2018 10:15 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi doc.

I know this is a little late but if you have the extra cash, I have these and they have been superb. My feet have never been wet, even after a serious walk.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/sho...t-4d-2-gtx

They are super light (you don't really notice you are wearing them) and were the boot of choice for US special forces-says it all really. I haven't yet found walking shoes that stay dry in wet grass over time so tend to wear boots or accept wet feet.

For short walks, I wear Aigle boots. I found these far superior to Hunter etc and longer lasting.

https://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/aigle-...boots.html

I finally took the plunge and got another Lab. I had forgotten how much work they are as pups!! He comes from working lines which is unusual for a Chocolate. He loves playing with our cat!!!!!

Click image to enlarge

He's 16 weeks old now, too smart for his own good and very destructive. Other dogs seem to love him though (and their owners!). If you fancy meeting up in a few weeks when yours is ready, give me a shout.

Post #338468 2nd Jan 2018 9:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>