« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Salomon walking shoes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Salomon walking shoes

Anyone recommend Salomon brand? With a new dog arriving sometime in March, I’m going to invest in some new walking shoes. Already got some bigger boots for when the going gets tougher but just need some good shoes.

I like the style of these: https://www.salomon.com/uk/product/evasion...cle=376895 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #337981 26th Dec 2017 11:07 am
3disco

United Kingdom 

Poor score on stability suggest they are top heavy and only 4x2 obviously not to landrover standard as to light!. Shocked

Post #337983 26th Dec 2017 11:21 am
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

They should be okay for light dryish walking, the tread structure looks okay.

There are a number of stores where you could also try Cotsworld Outdoor or Mountain Warehouse are two of my preferred.

Post #337986 26th Dec 2017 11:43 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I am going to suggest you look at the footware in Screwfix or builders merchant type places.

The problem I have with footware is that it's so difficult to find rubber soles nowadays. Every manufacturer seems to have gone over to the dangerous on wet concrete or stone pavement Vibram. Some of the Vibram soles have a sort of winter tyre tread on them which is an improvement until it is worn down a bit.

Post #337987 26th Dec 2017 11:47 am
Largered

go for a 'rubber dainite' sole.
I have a pair of G H Bass & Co boots, with the rubber dainte sole, very comfortable, excellent grip.
Not cheap, although you only pay once for very good quality.

Post #337988 26th Dec 2017 12:25 pm
taztastic

England 

http://www.altberg.co.uk/stockist-product/the-yan-tan-boot/

3 times the price but I’ve worn Altberg boots for 15 years and had no problem, Vibram soles are great in the environment they are meant for.

Seriously look at ankle support, any sort of rugged path and they are a must, it’s too easy to go over on an ankle and ruin your day.

Post #337991 26th Dec 2017 1:00 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks Thumbs Up Not going to rush in yet. Black Lab puppy in March and off to the Lakes in July so I’ll be investing in good time. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #337994 26th Dec 2017 2:11 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

You should not need to be told but please remember to get them a couple of months ahead of need so they can be properly broken in.

Post #337997 26th Dec 2017 2:34 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I bought these a while ago. Very light and comfortable plus having goretex they are completely waterproof.

Click image to enlarge
 Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #337998 26th Dec 2017 2:57 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Got these too (in black & grey).
Nice comfortable boot, though I don't do serious walking with them, for that I've got my Zamberlans.
The Salomons are more my 'out to play' shoes. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #338006 26th Dec 2017 4:08 pm
dan55

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White

I’ve had a few pairs of Salomon boots and shoes. They’re light and very comfortable but not particularly long lasting. More than ok for damp walks if you get the Goretex ones. Wouldn’t use them in soakin conditions though or long wet grass. Stick to leather for that.

If you’re keen on them nowhere I’ve found as cheap as sports direct. https://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults...mon%20Mens rare to see any brand with Goretex for £50 ish

Post #338008 26th Dec 2017 5:54 pm
bbrap

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Karrimor KSB 200 have always been my preferred lightish walker. When I got my 1st pair about 15 years ago they were £130 ish, now you can get them for £40. FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #338009 26th Dec 2017 6:04 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I’m a firm believer that walking boots are one of those things you have to try . In theory Saloman should be an excellent brand, but go try on the pair you fancy before commiting big money. If the footbed doesn’t suit you they are not worth buying . I’ve got a pair of very lightweight Meindle low cut trekking boots which are excellent everyday things almost weightless , Merrell Gortex mid boots are my waterproof pair chosen just because they fit like a glove and have a nice Vibram sole that suits my needs . As Taz says, Altberg are the choice of many professionals who need performanc above anything and will ditch their issued boots and personally buy the best As as an outside choice for you I can vouch for Aigle Parcours ISO neoprene wellies , most comfortable walking welly I’ve owned ( better footbed than Le Chameau IMHO) and extremely stable footwear for shooting Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #338012 26th Dec 2017 6:46 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Have had two pairs of similar looking Salomons- really nice fit for my feet and top quality. I rate them highly for dry, long distance, moderate walking conditions. The model shown has much better tread pattern than mine - I did not buy Salomon again this time as I found the grip quickly disappeared and they became too slippery. That model in the clicky looks much better in that respect. I went for a pair of similar looking Karrimors at a 1/3rd of the price this time - they have a reasonable tread profile and when they wear down a new pair of the same may be better than taking the hit of the Salomon price. Quality of construction of the Salomons is much better however - had to re-stick the heel on the Karrimors after some rough work.

Post #338018 26th Dec 2017 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dartman the one

England 

Most of these types of boot are generic, bit of colour change and different name, will last about 6 months, if you are going to walk in the rain then go for a good leather boot well coated in dubbin. Mountain Warehouse do a good range in leather for about £70, though Karrimor do a good synthetic suede boot for about £40 but again it's generic, most boots are let down by the soles which die at 6 months and don't bother with any of the mesh variety in the UK, it may say waterproof but they are only waterproof in a light shower from above but leak like sieves with water from below including wet grass my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #338035 27th Dec 2017 9:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>