Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > No longer an LR owner...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
No longer an LR owner...

So, after having trouble with the gearbox on my car (and the not-insignificant costs of repair to make it actually start again), I couldn't handle the uncertainty and inevitable impending costs and had to trade her in.

I am pretty sad, I liked the car a *lot* and it had been very decent until it got a little unreliable. In the end I got less than I was hoping for, but isn't that always the case, I just had to convince myself that with the gearbox costs, I actually got a good price.

Anyway, I noticed the dealer has the car for sale on their forecourt now at a *significant* mark-up. Heads-up to anyone in Brisbane looking for one; if you see a Tambora Flame, 2007 model with almost 130,000kms on the clock, it has a dodgy gearbox. Oh, and an oil-leak at the top of the engine. And I think the A/C needs regassing or something because there was a slight knocking noise when running at start-up. Oh, and I think one of the bushes needed replacing since it made a knocking noise when going down car-park ramps. Oh, and the gas struts on the tailgate need replacing. It does have some expensive rubber on 19" LR wheels though!

I could have gotten a new FL2, but I couldn't justify paying so much for one that still had a warranty. Instead I moved on to a 2015 Ford Kuga Titanium. Pretty nice car but doesn't have the same luxury feeling you always got climbing into the Land Rover. One day I will come back for another LR...I am convinced of it! (Not sure the wife is though!) 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #293578 14th Mar 2016 3:49 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

My sister went got rid of her Territory three years ago because it fell apart and since has been extremely happy with her Evoque. I hope the Kuga is more reliable. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #293617 14th Mar 2016 3:55 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I very nearly went from a FL2 to a Kuga but changed my mind at the last minute: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23811.html? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #293621 14th Mar 2016 4:40 pm
djwhyte

Lightwater wrote:
My sister went got rid of her Territory three years ago because it fell apart and since has been extremely happy with her Evoque. I hope the Kuga is more reliable.

My wife has had a Kuga for 12 months and so far has been fine. Hopefully, they continue with such reliability. Kuga's are also European built I believe, for whatever that is worth.

To be completely honest though, I wouldn't touch a Territory. Owning a Fairmont convinced me to never own a Ford again...until we tried the Kuga. I am sorry, but the Australian developed cars really aren't very good! 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #293789 16th Mar 2016 2:59 am
djwhyte

Steve D wrote:
I very nearly went from a FL2 to a Kuga but changed my mind at the last minute: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23811.html?

I did read that thread when we bought the wife's car last year. The Kuga has nothing on the looks of the FL2 in my books but it came down to what you could buy for money. I was happy to stoop down to a Ford Smile 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #293790 16th Mar 2016 3:01 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

no stooping, the kuga is a great car, though I really hate the dashboard Neutral 

Post #293799 16th Mar 2016 9:31 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

isn't the Kuga heavily based on the FL2 underneath ? Due to Fords ownership etc ?

Post #293800 16th Mar 2016 9:37 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Platforms for the Kuga and FL2 are related but not the same. Kuga is based on Ford's C platform (Focus and similar) whilst the FL2 is based on the EUCD platform (Mondeo and similar). The latter is loosely based on the C and shares some components, but is designed for larger / heavier vehicles.

I once followed a Kuga along a roughish track and the FL2 appeared to cope with it much better than the Kuga.

Post #293808 16th Mar 2016 10:58 am
djwhyte

RogB wrote:
isn't the Kuga heavily based on the FL2 underneath ? Due to Fords ownership etc ?

I believe (but could be wrong) but the 2 litre petrol engine in my Kuga is the same as the SD4 engine. I understand the Haldex is same/similar too. Don't know about the gearbox.

There are plenty of FoMoCo parts on the FL2 though! 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #293809 16th Mar 2016 11:10 am
djwhyte

pcheaven wrote:
no stooping, the kuga is a great car, though I really hate the dashboard Neutral

The newer one with 8 inch screen looks much better. The new front for MY17 looks better too, apparently based on the Ford Edge, which I secretly intend to swap to in a couple of years. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #293810 16th Mar 2016 11:12 am
djwhyte

pab wrote:
I once followed a Kuga along a roughish track and the FL2 appeared to cope with it much better than the Kuga.

I'm not surprised. The FL2 has more clearance and is definitely targeted at the 4x4 market. The Kuga very much isn't in my book. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #293811 16th Mar 2016 11:15 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

djwhyte wrote:
I believe (but could be wrong) but the 2 litre petrol engine in my Kuga is the same as the SD4 engine.

Si4.

Got the Si4 it in my Freelander. Brilliant engine! A bit heavy on petrol on short hilly trips on the Northern Beaches but on long runs very good on fuel.

Great at a set of lights!

Review of the Si4, whether it's in a Kuga or Freelander, it will give an indication of the engine.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57606/201...d-off-road Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #293870 17th Mar 2016 12:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1