« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto-Transmission Vibration at about 2000rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Auto-Transmission Vibration at about 2000rpm

Last weekend I noticed that my 07 FL2 gave a little vibration as it went up the gearbox. Enough to feel it in the steering wheel.

Since then, I have noticed it more and have worked out how to reproduce it. If I am on even the slightest uphill incline, go into command-shift, get into 3rd and then hover at around 1900-2000rpm the car vibrates almost like when wheel balancing is out.

It sounds somewhat similar to http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7881.html...ansmission

Recent facts:

- I put on genuine LR 19" wheels with brand new tyres (swapped from 17") in March.
    - I felt I could hear a little transmission whine with the new wheels or it felt like it was staying in gear longer so during the last service in May, the independent garage replaced the auto-transmission fluid and the rear diff fluid got refreshed too.
    - The garage also did a SW upgrade on the gearbox (although this was a struggle apparently).
    - After the service, I think it was shifting earlier/the whine had gone but it seems to have reverted now.

I called a local transmission mechanic today and he suggested it probably isn't the gearbox but maybe something else like the tailshaft. He recommended getting a LR mechanic to look at it.

I spoke to the indy-mechanic and he didn't have any suggestions except him taking the car for a test drive but they are 90 minutes from home and only open weekdays when I am at work Sad

I thought I would check here. Any recommendations from the forum?

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #267652 22nd Jun 2015 8:50 am
Greybeard

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

May seem obvious, but the first thing I would try is to go back to the 17" wheels and see if anything changes. Good luck.

Post #267660 22nd Jun 2015 9:52 am
dcarlon

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
LR2 Transmission Repair

Hi, I had this same problem with my LR2. In my case, I power-flushed the transmission, replaced the fluid, and replaced the transmission line. The transmission line can become rigid. Total cost was $400. I'm not sure why it worked but my shop, Overlander in Malden, MA, sees this transmission issue from time to time and this is can be a remedy. I also replaced the tires before flushing the transmission. Certainly less expensive than a transmission repair. My recommendation is to focus on the less expensive options first and work your way up the expense chain.

Post #268238 28th Jun 2015 7:54 pm
alex_pescaru

Please, for a non English speaker, what do you understand by "transmission line" and "The transmission line can become rigid"?
Thanks!

Post #268246 28th Jun 2015 10:20 pm
djwhyte

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure why I would need to flush the transmission fluid again, since this was just done. Although the timing does coincide reasonably well.

Also, I swapped back to my 17's; no improvement. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #268869 6th Jul 2015 8:15 am
djwhyte

A further update on this. The vibration is becoming more prominent, happening more often. When the car has a load or when going up an incline it is much more obvious. Seems to do it now in more speed/rev range but incredibly obvious when passing through the 50km/h speed which is generally done in third gear. I don't believe it is isolated to a specific gear any more.

3.2 Petrol, Auto-box, 120,000kms, 2007 model.

Newest info, the vibration is occurring when I am stationary and increase the engine revs whilst in neutral or park. This indicates to me it is from the gearbox forward.

Thoughts/possibilities:
1) Engine mounts
2) Gearbox mounts
3) Bearings somewhere?

Any ideas? 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #268940 7th Jul 2015 10:32 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Something out of balance? Crankshaft pulley, torque converter?

Post #268942 7th Jul 2015 10:46 am
djwhyte

Took the car to an independent mechanic today (not the same one that serviced it 6 weeks ago).

He felt the vibration from the engine when in neutral and wasn't worried by it. We took it for a spin with him driving and he felt the issue a couple of times. He felt it was a bit like transmission slippage or maybe tail-shaft. Something in the drive-train anyway.

He is having the car on Friday for the day to lift it on the hoist and have a good inspection underneath; CV's shafts, mounts, etc.

After telling him about the transmission fluid change just two weeks prior to the issue starting, he suggested maybe swapping the fluid again in case the wrong one has been used or something. Don't know what that might mean for long term damage or even if it would have the effect we are feeling. :\ 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #269003 8th Jul 2015 10:00 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

If it does it in neutral it wont be anything beyond the flywheel then? so you can forget about the rest of the drive chain cvs shafts etc??

Post #269007 8th Jul 2015 10:13 am
djwhyte

Quote:
If it does it in neutral it wont be anything beyond the flywheel then? so you can forget about the rest of the drive chain cvs shafts etc??

I agree. He doesn't seem to think the engine vibration is related though. that vibration is very mild, the one when your driving is quite violent. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #269008 8th Jul 2015 10:18 am
djwhyte

So the mechanic gave it the once over today.

No problems sighted with the drive-train.

He drained the auto transmission and thought what came out smelt like Dexron ATF. He flushed it and replaced with 'Super ATF Multi' or something (couldn't really hear on the phone). He said it is improved but the vibration is still present.

I called the mechanics that did the service and told them the problem and what this mechanic had found. They claim the guy that did my service was one of their more experienced blokes and would have done it right. He stated they put only genuine ZF fluid to match the ZF gearbox in the car, however, the FL2 gearbox (MY2007) isn't a ZF box it is an Aisin AWF-21. Makes me wonder if they did put the right thing in. Maybe ZF do a compatible fluid? Looking at the invoice for the service, they listed 4 litres of 'LUBEGUARD, ZF, SYNTHETIC FLUID, MADE IN USA INCLUDES ATF SUPPLEMENT ADDED TO OIL'. They suggested I take the car on Monday so they can test drive - that takes up my whole day off if I do that.

I picked up the car this afternoon and it is 100x better. Vibration is still present but much milder and very rare....more like when it first started happening three weeks ago.

I am wondering if having the gearbox flushed for the first time at 117000kms has caused the'detergents' to do bad things, as mentioned in many places on the web and in the last sentence of this Freel2 post.

Quote:
Some are saying that if you are long overdue (2x-3x normal exchange periods, exchange period that is around 40K miles for other Aisin box equipped cars) it's better to not do a full flush because the detergent agents in the fresh oil will dislodge some deposits on the valve block that were accumulating there during functioning

The mechanics that did the service never warned me of this problem.

Perhaps I just flush the box again in a couple of weeks and hope that it gets the last of the deposits out???

Or maybe some permanent damage has been done? 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #269163 10th Jul 2015 11:57 am
djwhyte

Just to follow up, this issue has been pretty much nonexistent for about two weeks now.

I still intend to flush new ATF through again in a few weeks.

All I can imagine is perhaps the build of grime in the gearbox started to come away and either blocked aspects of the fluid flow or got in between the clutch plates for each of the gears (based on my research of how auto-transmissions work).

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #270828 27th Jul 2015 8:43 am
djwhyte

In November the vibration started to occurr again. Since I was ready for a 6 monthly oil change, I took it to the mechanic to flush the auto fluid again.

This time, no reprieve to the vibration. It now happens every trip without fail and at times is incredibly violent, causing the whole vehicle to rattle.

Going in to the mechanic this week for him to try some sort of additive, but I think he is just clutching at straws. I am not too sure how to isolate if it is the gearbox or the haldex or what and so it looks like I might be starting down the path of a very expensive diagnostics exercise.

Sad face! Big Cry 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #288334 26th Jan 2016 12:59 pm
alex_pescaru

If happens only on the move, then TCC problems - slipping...
Therefore, when on the move, if the vibration stops when you suddenly lift the foot of the gas pedal, then it's the TC clutch.

To verify if it's gearbox or haldex: pull up the haldex fuse and if it still does, it's the gearbox.

Post #288346 26th Jan 2016 3:17 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I had something like this that turned out to be a worn CV joint. I had a vibration at around 50 but not always and only under power. The clip holding the gaiter on had disappeared and been replaced by a cable clip which allowed water to get in and ruin the joint. I discovered it by jacking up the wheel and then found that there was play in the joint. It was obvious that depending on how the joint "locked" under power determined how much vibration was present. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #288352 26th Jan 2016 5:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>