« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > oil leak dripping on undertray
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue
oil leak dripping on undertray

Shocked came home from work this morning to notice oil splashes on my driveway block paving seams to be coming from the freely. Had a quick look under the under tray which is saturated in oil yet the level on the dipstick was only down a tenth of an inch. I had previously had a leak from the egr to turbo rubber hose and organ pipe drips which was fixed is there any other place oil could be coming from as it seams to me that its splashing from the rear of the engine. I am going to keep a close eye on the oil level until I can take a look at it closer on my mates 4 poster ramp.

Post #278521 15th Oct 2015 11:53 am
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine has a small leak in the same area-it is probably the rear main seal. A pretty common fault but the advice I was given was leave it well alone unless it is really bad. Mine is small though, it doesn't register on the dipstick and I don't get drips.

Post #278563 15th Oct 2015 7:00 pm
turboextreme

Just tried to take a look inside the engine under tray the oil seams to be dripping from the side of the engine block and gear box is this where the main oil seal is?
Done 120 miles yesterday to find the oil down very slightly from maximum might have to make a device to slowly drip feed engine oil if its the main oil seal as wouldn't this get on the clutch as I don't seam to get any clutch slip only the odd notch gear change as it seams tight engaging reverse and 6 gear.

Post #279106 22nd Oct 2015 12:00 pm
turboextreme

Had my Freelander up on my mates 4 poster ramp looks like the rear crank case oil seal is leaking. Big Cry
Been looking up a replacement seal and was advised by parts supplier to fit the Peugeot oil seal as its made of a slightly different rubber and a better fit. Do I have to replace the clutch and flywheel or can I get away with using the old one as its only done 10k miles since it was last replaced. Rolling Eyes

Peugeot oil seal.

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...20seal.jpg

Genuine Land rover oil seal (LR052515)

Post #279129 22nd Oct 2015 6:32 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I remember reading a thread about twelve months ago about crank case oil seals and the wear on the crank can cause it to leak after the oil seal has been replaced. I think it recommended a different oil seal, worth a search!

Post #279134 22nd Oct 2015 7:11 pm
turboextreme

Had the car on the ramp cleaned up the engine with degreaser then took the car for a long test drive.
Then put it back on the ramp to find no trace of any oil leak?
Can't Can't seam to find where the oil came from which is odd so whilst on the ramp done a service changed the oil and filter.
Then left it with my mate to do the rest of the service ie brakes, fuel filter also got him to replace the power steering bottle and renew the fluid.

Post #279604 27th Oct 2015 6:46 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Fingers crossed! Worth monitoring over a week or so to make sure.

Post #279643 27th Oct 2015 10:12 pm
turboextreme

Just done 250 miles today still no signs of any oil, just the smell of diesel when we replaced the fuel filter.
Was reading a note on the service book that says check you engine oil weekly or every 250 miles is that because Landrover knew these engine Burn oil. This year I used Comma X-Tech 5w-30 and at the moment the engine seams quieter.
Postman was complaining as he had to deliver 2 5litre containers that I ordered from amazon at £17.20 each where the recommended retail price is £32.00 inc vat each. Laughing

http://www.commaoil.com/products/results/91046407/vrn/

Post #279779 29th Oct 2015 3:23 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

turboextreme wrote:
Had my Freelander up on my mates 4 poster ramp looks like the rear crank case oil seal is leaking. Big Cry
Been looking up a replacement seal and was advised by parts supplier to fit the Peugeot oil seal as its made of a slightly different rubber and a better fit. Do I have to replace the clutch and flywheel or can I get away with using the old one as its only done 10k miles since it was last replaced. Rolling Eyes

Peugeot oil seal.

Genuine Land rover oil seal (LR052515)

Did you install Peugeot seal, if so did it work? I'm searching manual Gearbox and same time when changing it. Going to do crank case seal to.

Looked my gearbox and it was rebuilt 2017 in England and installed 2018 in Finland at 290tkm and now 430 it's broken..

Post #423796 1st Aug 2022 8:12 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

turboextreme wrote:
Just done 250 miles today still no signs of any oil, just the smell of diesel when we replaced the fuel filter.
Was reading a note on the service book that says check you engine oil weekly or every 250 miles is that because Landrover knew these engine Burn oil. This year I used Comma X-Tech 5w-30 and at the moment the engine seams quieter.

I carried a can of oil with me for 12 years and hardly used any of it to top up between annual oil changes. Yes, I did check the oil level regularly, it just never changed much at all.

Post #423799 1st Aug 2022 10:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1