Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > So where should FL2 owners look now?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Have read a few reviews on the Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid and doesn't look as good as it does on paper. Recommended only as a low cost company car, high depreciation and real mpg about a third of the published figure. Can not match the quality of similar priced vehicles and has a poor ride.

Driving experience sounds similar to my experiences with a hybrid Lexus which I could not have lived with. Not enough power from the electric motor on it's own and the petrol is slow to kick in and noisy. Found it frustrating on motorway when not sitting at a constant speed, very hard to drive smoothly when roads are busy, as not enough power for smooth acceleration between 50-70 mph so you have to keep putting the foot down or a gap appears and someone pulls out. Put it in sport mode and it's a bit better but the mpg drop.

Around town I found it dangerous, trying to pull out into traffic or at roundabout with electric power only!! Shocked

Post #254152 20th Feb 2015 11:35 pm
2herring

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

Agreed about the PHEV Outlander and all the ones I have seen in town have been running on the petrol engine. After 96000 miles in under 4 years I am heading to the darkside and an X3.
PS Surprise snow blizzard here in West Sussex this morning which wasn't forecast but stopped now and nowhere near enough of a covering for a good play. In the 4 Winters I have had the FL2 it hasn't really snowed here and my neighbours keep thanking me for warding off the snow having bought it following the snow we had in 2009 and 2010.

Post #254191 21st Feb 2015 9:31 am
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Test drove a 2015 BMW X3 X line 2 litre automatic the other day. About £35000 otr and what a fantastic drive.Outlander PHEV looks good but it has no spare wheel! Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #254450 23rd Feb 2015 11:59 am
pporocki

Poland 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
Test drove a 2015 BMW X3 X line 2 litre automatic the other day. About £35000 otr and what a fantastic drive.

Could you tell more?
For example comparing to the on-road ride to the Evoque, comfort to the Freelander, etc?
Thanks!

Post #254468 23rd Feb 2015 3:04 pm
commando

The X3 ride was really nice and supple and it did not roll too much in the corners.The car was really quiet, and the 2 litre 190bhp engine felt quite quick. The Evoque Dynamic I drove felt slightly quicker and not quite as nice for ride quality as the BMW.What I thought let down the Evoque was the height of the car, as I much prefer the higher driving position of the Freelander and X3.Interior is superb in the X3 and the idrive is much improved from the system fitted to my old 2004 5 series.Not sure whether I would go for the X3 or the Evoque as the Evoque is much better looking(3 door)but just a bit low.Compared to my Freelander the X3 feels and looks more expensive and it feels like a step up in class. Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #254470 23rd Feb 2015 3:27 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

[quote="2herring"]s I am heading to the darkside and an X3.

and so it all begins...... Bow down Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #254476 23rd Feb 2015 4:47 pm
shilen

commando wrote:
Test drove a 2015 BMW X3 X line 2 litre automatic the other day. About £35000 otr and what a fantastic drive.Outlander PHEV looks good but it has no spare wheel!

X3 doesn't have a spare wheel either...

If you get runflats then you get an SOS button to press incase of emergency, cars own SIM card makes direct contact with BMW who will sort you out - can't expect BMW drivers to get their hands dirty now can we?

If you opt for non-runflats then I think you get a foam repair kit - possibly still get the SOS button I am not sure.

No option to add a spare wheel as the boot doesn't have a tyre well, only option would be to carry a spare in the boot which will swallow up a lot of space and not actually ideal. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black

Post #254477 23rd Feb 2015 4:51 pm
shilen

commando wrote:
The X3 ride was really nice and supple and it did not roll too much in the corners.The car was really quiet, and the 2 litre 190bhp engine felt quite quick. The Evoque Dynamic I drove felt slightly quicker and not quite as nice for ride quality as the BMW.What I thought let down the Evoque was the height of the car, as I much prefer the higher driving position of the Freelander and X3.Interior is superb in the X3 and the idrive is much improved from the system fitted to my old 2004 5 series.Not sure whether I would go for the X3 or the Evoque as the Evoque is much better looking(3 door)but just a bit low.Compared to my Freelander the X3 feels and looks more expensive and it feels like a step up in class.

Totally agree except I think you will find the 3 door Evoque alot smaller in the rear seats and boot than the X3. Interior of the X3 is faultless - makes the DS seem dated already! - BMW have always made great interiors. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black

Post #254478 23rd Feb 2015 4:55 pm
pporocki

Poland 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:

Totally agree except I think you will find the 3 door Evoque alot smaller in the rear seats and boot than the X3. Interior of the X3 is faultless - makes the DS seem dated already! - BMW have always made great interiors.

Cannot agree.

X5 F15 is a few centimiters longer than full fat Discovery IV !!!

X3 is 30 centimeters (~12 inches) longer than Evoque, should consider it.

I am 195cm tall.
In the Evoque I could seat.
In the BMW X3 I have to lay (and there is no possible to have adult passenger after my seat in the second row)
X3 has bigger boot but try to imagine X3 shorter by 12 inches.
There is nothing great about BMW interior dimensions.

Evoque has incredible big interior and boot with it's external dimensions.

Post #254545 23rd Feb 2015 10:38 pm
commando

I don't mind having no spare if the car has runflats.The 3 door Evoque is I agree much smaller, but I don't need the extra space of the X3.I wish more manufacturers would make more 3 door versions of their cars.A slightly shorter 3 door X3 would be nice. Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #254593 24th Feb 2015 12:16 pm
shilen

Yes I always thought the original Freelander's 3 and 5 door body designs were a good idea and many followed (Vauxhall Frontera and RAV4 spring to mind). Presumably LR thought it was a bad idea to release the FL2 in 3 and 5 door versions, actually are there any manufacturers producing 3 and 5 door versions of the same model? (other than the Ewok!)

They should release a 3 door DS - try and get in the third row of seats in that!!!! Rolling with laughter Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black

Post #254763 25th Feb 2015 6:17 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The Shogun is available in either a 3 or 5 door variant. I quite like the look of both - although it is an old design now and in a completely different class from the Beamers and Discos Sport softies.

Post #254772 25th Feb 2015 7:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
j77

Scotland 

LR though, have the cheek to charge more for the 3 door. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #254776 25th Feb 2015 7:32 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Went with my son to have a look at some Jeeps today, he is in the market for a replacement for his FL2 which he uses for work on and off road doing about 25k miles/year and although he believes that it's brilliant on and off road (when it's working that is) his conclusions are:-

1. the FL2 is brilliant for his job but unreliable, colleagues have been buying last of the line FL2s recently.
2. the general consensus is that the DS sport is much too expensive and plush to use for work, (at weekends he often shovels soil out of the footwell)

So with this in mind he narrowed his choice down to the Jeep range (after looking at a few others) and today we saw a Renegade. Conclusion was that there is little underbody protection (plastic sump guard ) and lots of low hanging bits. Also no 2 litre diesel 4wd until July August.
Cherokee. Possible and a lot cheaper than the FL2
Compass best of the lot, you can get a steel sump guard, it has the usual electronic toys and also a diff lock! Unfortunately they have just stopped making them and there are only a few left.

The conclusion of the day was that the market for real off road vehicles is disappearing, most products are now aimed at the lifestyle market. But perhaps we already knew that. Smile

Post #255268 1st Mar 2015 7:43 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

j77 wrote:
LR though, have the cheek to charge more for the 3 door.

Laughing

In the normal world a pint of milk is far less than 4 pints of milk Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #255270 1st Mar 2015 8:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>