Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > So where should FL2 owners look now?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
gingerlord

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Indus Silver

Only had our 12 plate for about 8 months, so intending to run it into the ground. If not then it will be around the rumoured Defender replacement window when we'll be looking. If thats not up to snuff or theres not a more basic rugged discovery around by then it'll most likely be a two car job. A cheap runabout and a 4x4 for the dirty stuff, a shame not to have an all in one.

Post #252669 11th Feb 2015 10:54 am
andy3681

United Kingdom 

Long time land rover fan currently running a Fullfat was thinking iof downsizing to a FL2 but quality and reliability issues are putting me off so might be a Santa Fe ( Or a newer TDV8 FF) Whistle

Post #252670 11th Feb 2015 11:46 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Tradewind 35 wrote:
Am very impressed with the Scubydo Forester - modern, compact, but rugged and well made. Much loved by owners.

Firstly I should say that I haven't actually driven a current-model Forester, but I have owned an earlier model and examined the current models in the showroom. I like Subarus - I've owned two, and my brother is on his umpteenth (currently driving an Outback).

With that in mind, I'd say that the Foresters biggest problem (viewed from the perspective of a Freelander owner) is that the Freelander is better. Not necessarily more capable, probably less reliable, but it just feels nicer. Moving from the Forester to the FL2 felt like a step up, and I'm afraid going back to the Forester may feel like a step down again. This is more to do with the FL2 than the Forester, I think. The Forester is a good car, but there really is something special about the FL2 which makes you love it - to go out and drive it just for the sake of it. The Forester doesn't quite do that - it's 'just a car'. (As an aside I think that's partly why the DS doesn't quite do it for FL2 owners - it doesn't have the same 'magic'.)

Would I have another Forester? Yes. But I'd buy it knowing that what I really wanted was a proper FL2 replacement.

As for those holding out for the new Defender, I have this nasty feeling that you may be disappointed when it finally appears. It's going to be nothing like the current model, in form or in ethos. That's already apparent from McGovern's comments regarding sales targets - it's going to be another mass market offering. I hope I wrong about it, but I don't believe I am.

Post #252671 11th Feb 2015 11:48 am
pab

andy3681 wrote:
... thinking iof downsizing to a FL2 but quality and reliability issues are putting me off

The FL2 is the most reliable car LR have ever made, by some margin, so I can't see why you would be put off by quality and reliability issues. According to the figures at reliabilityindex.com it's way better than the Santa Fe!

Post #252673 11th Feb 2015 11:53 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
well put

Well put Pab, on both latest posts! I think we are in a similar place re the disappointing DS. Sad Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #252676 11th Feb 2015 12:18 pm
j77

Scotland 

The Fl2 has far less issues than a Full Fat RR.

The Fl2 is a fantastic little landy, it's just a shame that LR didn't put more of the freely features in the DS. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #252689 11th Feb 2015 1:27 pm
fisha

Comments on other vehicles:

The shogun - on out wards appearances, I didn't rate it until I drove one and was really quite surprised. It has a chunky mechanical feel of a defender, but more refinement inside. Vision was good, but the doors feel thin compared to a range rover etc. performance was ok, but not outstanding nut off road on. Forest tracks it had that solid feel you get from defenders and the older solid axle range rovers etc. ( which you don't get from the modern rr or fl2 ) I can now see why they are popular with the horsey brigade , and would consider one myself now.

Post #252690 11th Feb 2015 1:46 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

I'd think the next choice of car for many depends on the annual mileage.

It's silly to split low annual mileage over more than one car. One car simplifies everything, servicing, insurance, garaging, extended warranty, etc.

But if annual mileage is high there is a good case to be made for running two cars. Keep the Freelander long term but also run a day to day car to keep the Freelander mileage down.

For many of us whose Freelanders are 3+ years old there would be a large capital outlay in changing to a DS. It would be possible to fund buying and running a nice second car for much less?

But yes, it's not so simple if you cover high miles in rural areas and always need the Freelander’s full capabilities ....

Post #252691 11th Feb 2015 1:58 pm
APT100

United Kingdom 

If they did the SWB Shogun in 5 door, I think I would be tempted. As for the new Defender, if they continue the current trend and "soften" it up (I called it a Defender Sport earlier) it might just hit the right balance of off/on road capability - for me. Time will tell. Currently a FL1 owner.

Post #252722 11th Feb 2015 8:55 pm
atlas

Romania 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Landcruiser.

Post #252726 11th Feb 2015 9:30 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Thanks for those comments on the Forester Pab - I agree that the Freely2 is a class act - and will be hard to follow. The Shogun is an old design now but the Forester is well up to date. Subaru engineering is first class - I wish Landrover put as much effort into their engineering. The bottom line however is that a 6 speed manual Forester with 5 year warranty comes out at about £25K and the Shogun about £28K. Either way Landrover simply has nothing to put up against those now that they have Discovered Sport.

Post #252733 11th Feb 2015 9:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Subaru is a great car except for the lineatronic auto box, it sucks fuel and is really a CVT.
FL2 dual clutch boxes very hard to beat.Had 4 plus similar dual clutch box on Mercedes. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #252776 12th Feb 2015 12:39 am
pab

The lineartronic box isn't that bad (for an auto). My brother replaced a normal auto Outback with a Lineartronic. He didn't really want the CVT either, but it's the only option on Subarus now. Now he has it, though, he's happy with it.

Subaru seem to have done a better job than most with the CVT - although personally I don't quite see the point in taking a continuously variable transmission and adding control logic which makes it behave just like a normal auto with stepped changes, paddle shifters, etc. I suppose it makes it feel more familiar to those used to normal autos. But maybe that's just me - I'd have a manual anyway...

Post #252797 12th Feb 2015 10:34 am
pporocki

Poland 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Santorini Black

I had test drive with Subaru Forester 2.0XT 240HP yeasterday.
All-season tires were fitted and I drove in wet conditions.
You could chose any interior colour if it's black
No manual transmission is available.

My insights:
- above 100kph is much noiser than Freelander with winter tires
- below 100kph is similar noise to Freelander with winter tires
- subjectivly for me 240HP Forester for is slower than Evoque and Discovery Sport
- feels slower like 2010 Forester 2.5XT with manual transmission
- bad interior quality - two classes below Freelander with Almond fabric
- very nice addition like slided sun curtains to cover area behind central mirror (I have such problem in Freelander 2)
- understeer car, unable to go mad as in Evoque (oversteer car)
- CVT transmission is not bad, gear changes not noticeable
- no body roll when traveling through big snail (highway exit)
- there is some body roll when turns perpendicular in the city (but better than in Freelander)
- visibility as good as in Freelander and much better than in Disco Sport
- seat comfort worse thean the cheapests seats in Freelander
- smaller space above head in second row (compared to the Freelander)

Hadn't tried off road.
Salesman said Forester Diesel with CVT auto gearbox will be available this year.

Approach angle looks the same as in Evoque. Departure angle looks worse.
But Evoque doesn't have any suspension travel and Forester has.

My opinion:
If you have money for buying an Evoque you would prefer Evoque.
If you want cheaper 240HP car with off road capatibilities Forester is an idea.

I mean prices in Poland where full equipped Forester 240HP costs less than last price of the cheapset Freelander.

BTW. If I asked to accelerate up to 140kph Salesman said he had customer tried much above 200kph Smile

Post #252804 12th Feb 2015 11:03 am
pab

Quote:
While continentals can buy five-seat ..s, Brits will only get seven-seaters. The bumf havers on about how spacious the rearmost seats are, but don’t believe it; I almost got stuck in there.

Yeah, I know, you've heard it all before. Except that the above isn't talking about the DS - it's talking about Volvo's new XC90! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/volvo/xc90/

What is it about this country and seven-seaters? Do manufacturers perhaps think we enjoy being forced to take thousand-pound options the majority of us don't want? Do they think we have so much spare cash we won't care? Or do they think we genuinely all have a need for seven seats? And why are we always treated differently from the rest of Europe?

Post #252929 13th Feb 2015 10:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>